Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:12 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,690,237 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles now has the largest urban population of Mexicans outside of Mexico City. The demographics aren't changing, they've already changed. This is eventually going to happen all across our southern border. There's nothing that can be done to make a city more diverse. People move out of areas when they don't want to live there any more. Los Angeles today in many ways now looks more like a third world Hispanic nation than part of the United States. People who can afford to more will move. The poorer residents of LA will stay. Many white residents decided to leave LA after the Watts riots, and it happened again after the riots in 1992. You can't really blame people for leaving, the quality of life there has diminished in many ways. And it's certainly not an area where I'd want to raise a family. But to answer the OP's original question, we deal with LA in the same way we always have. Except if you have to do business there you had better learn to speak Spanish.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:03 AM

705 posts, read 3,303,717 times
Dont worry about it.
Latinos are fleeing Los Angeles, even though they love living here. Think about it, Los Angeles is one of the most expensive places to live in this country and for some reason whie people cant afford it but latinos can?? thats not the reality. The reality is that Latinos are moving away from Los Angeles because of the high costs of living. I know this because I just recently saw some of my friends families leave to North Carolina, Virginia and other states in the east coast. One day immigrants will stop arriving in Los Angeles for the most part because of it.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:08 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,209,717 times
Oh! LA is such an awful place to live, I hope no one else ever moves here ever again. <snicker>

Yeah, Latinos are moving out, whites and Asians are moving in -- but where is our diversity??!!

I love this city. Let it change however it wants to.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:13 AM

705 posts, read 3,303,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
Los Angeles now has the largest urban population of Mexicans outside of Mexico City. The demographics aren't changing, they've already changed. This is eventually going to happen all across our southern border. There's nothing that can be done to make a city more diverse. People move out of areas when they don't want to live there any more. Los Angeles today in many ways now looks more like a third world Hispanic nation than part of the United States. People who can afford to more will move. The poorer residents of LA will stay. Many white residents decided to leave LA after the Watts riots, and it happened again after the riots in 1992. You can't really blame people for leaving, the quality of life there has diminished in many ways. And it's certainly not an area where I'd want to raise a family. But to answer the OP's original question, we deal with LA in the same way we always have. Except if you have to do business there you had better learn to speak Spanish.
Do you listen to yourself?? Latinos are not going to end up staying in Los Angeles because of the high living cost. Maybe in other areas in the southern borders but if anything not Los Angeles, San Diego, or San Francisco since its so expensive to live in these cities. People need to look at the big picture! for example, many people dont realize the harm they cause to animals in the wild by feeding them regularly because it seems like a nice thing to do, but in reality you are harming the nature of the animals way of life by feeding them. I know it sounds silly to compare the two but its just a good example of how most people dont think of what the real outcomes of some circumstances are.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:56 AM

652 posts, read 2,808,971 times
I'm a somewhat regular listener to Terry Anderson and Al Rantel, and the Black residents of Los Angeles who call these shows have regularly stated that they're being run out of their neighborhoods by violence or threats of violence from Latino racists. Why isn't this being addressed by city government? Whites are also fleeing Los Angeles and the rest of California like rats off a sinking ship, yet still nobody in government addresses this, though the mayor and city council can't stop raving about how much they love diversity. How then does the city of Los Angeles define diversity? Does diversity in the year 2007 mean a lack of Blacks and Whites?

Old 08-23-2007, 02:20 AM

2 posts, read 3,063 times
I thought the hispanic population was growing over there in Los Angele!?!?, also one of my friends who've came back from LA, explained to me the segregated neighbor-hoods and the booming population of hispanics out there. Well out here in New York, its a steady pace. As the majority of the latinos; puerto ricans are declining and moving back to Puerto rico, other hispanics from South Amercia and the caribbeans are moving in, still whites are the majority here with jews being first then blacks, hispanics , whites, asians, others.

Old 08-23-2007, 02:36 AM

2 posts, read 3,063 times
Also, I was surprised that every ethnic group segregated from one another. In New York its more of mixed neighborhood but it is segregated in some parts with the Jewish people sticking with there own, Irish, Germans, russians in hells kitchen , then you have the Italians and Albanians with each other in little Italy and parts of the Bronx and Brooklyn, and then you have blacks and hispanics put into the same areas mostly they are in project housings/government housings. I was really surprise to find out that the hispanics over there were racist, yeah the hispanics here are sometimes racist but its usaully against whites. The latinos here tend to mimic the black community here and pretend that there black and are allow to use the N-word no matter if they look albino which I find as a slap tp the face to the rest of New Yorkers since they are prohibited on such a dumb word that shouldn't exist.

Old 08-23-2007, 05:49 AM

118 posts, read 466,440 times
"It seems to be instinct to break up people's support systems in order to render them helpless"

That's why we have the so called "White flight" from neighborhoods. Whitie looses their culture and support system. You don't see whites moving in Latino or black communities, forcing their culture on them.

"just segregated. Race shouldn't matter."

We are more segregated now that ever. Race does matter - especially in today's world. Race matters the most to Blacks and Latinos - they are the ones who has the NAACP, Black political caucus, Black FOP, etc.
They want their own separate organizations and communities.
Just about everything is now based on race. .

"becoming a city of the have and have-nots. The middle class is fleeing"

The middle class is a dying breed. The entire USA is becoming a nation of the haves and the have-nots.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:01 AM

4,183 posts, read 6,539,955 times
Quote:
I'm a somewhat regular listener to Terry Anderson and Al Rantel, and the Black residents of Los Angeles who call these shows have regularly stated that they're being run out of their neighborhoods by violence or threats of violence from Latino racists. Why isn't this being addressed by city government? Whites are also fleeing Los Angeles and the rest of California like rats off a sinking ship, yet still nobody in government addresses this, though the mayor and city council can't stop raving about how much they love diversity. How then does the city of Los Angeles define diversity? Does diversity in the year 2007 mean a lack of Blacks and Whites?
Why are you so obsessed with bean counting? How much racial diversity is acceptable to you? 40% white, 40% hispanic, 10% black, 10% asian - does that sound about right? Or is there some magic combination of races that will pacify your fears? Last time I checked, there is no law that says there has to be X percentage of a certain race living in a particular city, and if that number is out of whack, then the government has to somehow intervene to remedy the problem. In fact, it only becomes a problem if you lump people into mental categories called "race". As I said before, people should be judged according to their individual merits. Criminals have to be prosecuted regardless of race. The virtuous have to be rewarded regardless of race. As for your assertion that whites are fleeing California because of crime....well, in the Bay area, whites are fleeing affluent, safe, clean, outstanding school districts like Cupertino not because of crime, but because Asians happen to be the predominant ethnic group in these otherwise desirable areas. So apparently it's not just a question of fleeing crime-ridden areas....it is because there is a perception of loss of power that comes with diminishing numbers of one's ethnic group. But this should not really be the case if you treat people as individuals, not as members of a race. Get rid of this race-based bean counting mentality, and you will find that your neighboor next door is just another human being who has the same basic biological and social needs as you.

Old 08-23-2007, 10:13 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Criss1956 View Post
You don't see whites moving in Latino or black communities, forcing their culture on them.
LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay...I'm not gonna even touch that one.

(I will very gently suggest, though, that you crack a history book, any history book, basically, as recently as...well, current day and as far back as, I don't know, a millennium, to check out whether or not you "see" Anglos encroaching on anybody's territory. When we do it--it's eminent domain. When anybody else does it, it's a hostile takeover.)

Last edited by JerZ; 08-23-2007 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration