Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:34 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,532,010 times

Advertisements

A lot is wrong with this immigration situation. Don't we have more illegal aliens than Legal Immigrants, now?

I wonder how many Illegals will be voting for Obama in this next election.
Sickening~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 02:48 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,574,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
Of course they fit any ethnic group. That doesn't mean that adding those particular positive trains into our lives would not further enrich our country and our lives. No inflated ego here. I enjoy learning from ALL ethnicities, nationalities etc etc.

By the way...I was thinking of asking earlier, but got sidetracked.

Are we talking "Hispanics" in general here, or are we talking about a particular group of Hispanics. We aren't all the same you know?

But, perhaps some think we are...
Quote:
Because, although the different cultures ALL have great foods, traditions, art etc. They all have differences in those things and forgive me, but I enjoy variety, and I think bringing other cultures into this country can be seen as a benefit.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have millions of "Hispanic" citizens, including those with Mexican roots, who have lived in this country for years? So, please explain why we need to "add" a culture we already have. Or, are you referring to a different group of Hispanics, with a different culture to enrich our country?

Old 12-07-2011, 03:51 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,549,979 times
Hopefully my last post on this topic, just to answer the questions that were asked of me.

I think I may have gotten SoEdible confused with some other members when I came to the conclusion that he is a biggot.

I don't agree that being black means a person isn't capable of being a biggot, but that's a whole other subject.

And to answer the question about where I came up with the question about gay marriage...The trigger word for me was "special treatment". I may have had that topic on my mind already, and then I saw those words, which I've seen used in the passed by people who object to gay marriage. So, that's how I came up with that. If I was off base on that, again, I apologize.

I don't like it when people make quick assumptions, so I need to be able to apologize, when I get called out after I've been guilty of the same.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't we have millions of "Hispanic" citizens, including those with Mexican roots, who have lived in this country for years? So, please explain why we need to "add" a culture we already have. Or, are you referring to a different group of Hispanics, with a different culture to enrich our country?
I believe when I made the original statement, I was simply trying to say that immigrants (in general) have brought some positive things to our country. That's all.

Dang y'all. Why don't you tar and feather me already and get this over with!

Old 12-07-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
A lot is wrong with this immigration situation. Don't we have more illegal aliens than Legal Immigrants, now?

I wonder how many Illegals will be voting for Obama in this next election.
Sickening~
Illegals can vote? I really do need to catch up on my current affairs.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:25 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,327,939 times
Quote:
Because, although the different cultures ALL have great foods, traditions, art etc. They all have differences in those things and forgive me, but I enjoy variety, and I think bringing other cultures into this country can be seen as a benefit.

As I said in an earlier post, I get some of the objections to illegal immigrants. I do have an issue when people make statements, where it sounds like they are generalizing about an entire group.
So where did SoEdible make any negative comments about Hispanics in general? I have no problem with different ethnic foods, etc. I have eaten my fair share of them and enjoyed them. No one has said that bringing different cultures into this country isn't a benefit. This is about illegal immigration, not that.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:45 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,056,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I know many Hispanics, and none support amnesty for illegal aliens. The pro-illegal movement is being spearheaded by power-hungry Hispanic politicians, who believe if they can have a majority Hispanic population, they are guaranteed political clout, and ultimately, control over every branch of our government. Groups like La Raza, support amnesty to exploit illegal aliens for the philanthropic contributions they receive on behalf of the "downtrodden" so-called immigrants. It's solely for personal gain. Sadly, they have brainwashed many Hispanic citizens into believing it is their ethnic obligation to support illegal immigration, if not, they are traitors. Of course, there are also millions of Hispanic citizens with illegal alien family and friends. So, naturally, they support amnesty.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again -- if the majority of illegals were Haitian, amnesty would not be on the table. In fact, illegal immigration would NEVER have been allowed to reach this level. . . not in a million years.

I agree with you. I know a lot of Hispanics who are legal residents and all will tell you that they don't like the illegals that are here.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:54 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,056,022 times
Quote:

I take it your against gay marriage too.

How about instead of special treatment and saying "oh, they are breaking the laws" we CHANGE the laws. That is still part of the American way, isn't it? Being able to change laws when appropriate?

Funny thing is...I understand why we might want to limit people coming into our country. We can barely take care of ourselves. I get that. I just object to the way people love to generalize and what the real motivation is behind other people's "issues" with "illegal" immigrants.

How about we come down on the businesses that contribute to hiring and exploiting those "illegals". Isn't THAT illegal?
How about we also change the law to protect the businesses that hire illegals? After all these are legal American businesses we're talking about.

Or hows about we do the right thing and hold the illegals and businesses that hire them to the laws they are breaking as they both should be because they are both breaking them?

Old 12-07-2011, 04:57 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,557,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
McCain: Hispanic vote 'up for grabs' - Yahoo! News

Why does the "Hispanic vote" in the upcoming Presidential Election depend upon what the candidates approaches to illegal immigration and immigration laws are?

Why is it that the media and politicians openly tie the Hispanic vote to illegal immigration?

Aren't they admitting that the illegal immigration debate is closely tied to Hispanics? Isn't that asking for special-treatment? I mean, on the part of those who are hoping that a politician will save Hispanic illegal immigrants and "make them legal?"

What is the goal of these so-called Hispanic voters who are seeking to put someone in the Presidential office that will cater to illegal immigrants?

It all seems like asking for special consideration. I can't imagine how this view, these requests and the push for a President that will specifically cater to a specific group is OK. Yet, the media and politicians keep describing how Hispanics will only vote for a candidate IF immigration is made easier for other Hispanics.

That's not wrong?
It is not different that women voting because of women issues, blacks for blacks issues, businesses for business issues, gays for gay issues, religious people due to religious views, and on and on.

Like it of not that is what many out there do when they vote. I am hispanic but I vote for what I believe is best for the country, at the top of the list is the economy. Take care.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:13 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,327,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
It is not different that women voting because of women issues, blacks for blacks issues, businesses for business issues, gays for gay issues, religious people due to religious views, and on and on.

Like it of not that is what many out there do when they vote. I am hispanic but I vote for what I believe is best for the country, at the top of the list is the economy. Take care.
No, none of those things equates to advocating for illegal aliens. Illegal immigration is "illegal" none of those other things you mentioned are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration