Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 08:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,918,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4answers12 View Post
hmmm
Maybe we would benefit from the positive things that their culture could contribute. Like <gasp> strong family bonds (something which some apparently thing is wrong). Great FOOD! Lively music. And willingness to work their rear ends off for the money they earn...
Hispanics actually have a much higher rate of illegitimate births than do white Americans, and they have a much higher rate of abortions than do white Americans. The whole border region has enormous Medicaid and foodstamp rates. There seems to be a willingness not to earn everything they have.

Plus if those cultures were so great then why are they fleeing their own countries en masse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 06:34 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,361,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Hispanics actually have a much higher rate of illegitimate births than do white Americans, and they have a much higher rate of abortions than do white Americans. The whole border region has enormous Medicaid and foodstamp rates. There seems to be a willingness not to earn everything they have.

Plus if those cultures were so great then why are they fleeing their own countries en masse?
I don't know how abandoning one's family in their homelands to come here illegally or a parent being deported but refusing to take their kids with them back to their homelands equates to strong family bonds either. They constantly put their kids in danger and create a huge problem for them in their lives here by bringing them here illegally also.

As for the claim about good food and music? We can't enjoy those things about their culture from those that are here legally and Hispanic citizens? It requires illegal immigration for that? As for the claim that they work their behinds off (to make their slave masters richer) I am sure some do but since they are doing so by stealing an American job by working for less and even using stolen I.D.'s and SS numbers to do so I don't see anything to brag about there. No ethnic group holds the corner of the market on hard workers anyway.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:37 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,557,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I don't know how abandoning one's family in their homelands to come here illegally or a parent being deported but refusing to take their kids with them back to their homelands equates to strong family bonds either. They constantly put their kids in danger and create a huge problem for them .
Some could make that argument about two income (white American) families...we can argue any side of any issue.

If you can't put food in your child's mouth where you are, is it wrong to go somewhere, where you can?

Quote:
As for the claim about good food and music? We can't enjoy those things about their culture from those that are here legally and Hispanic citizens? It requires illegal immigration for that?
Of course we can enjoy those things from those that are here legally.
I thought I clarified, the point I was trying to make in a post up above...

Quote:
As for the claim that they work their behinds off
Some do. Some don't...

Quote:
(to make their slave masters richer)
Not my words (written or implied)

Quote:
I am sure some do but since they are doing so by stealing an American job by working for less and even using stolen I.D.'s and SS numbers to do so I don't see anything to brag about there.
Who's bragging? Not me.

Do you believe in holding those employers accountable for hiring illegal immigrants at below minimum wage? Is it "stealing" when somebody (the employer) is saying "Here, take this?" From my point of view, it sounds more like exploitation coming from the employer...

Quote:
No ethnic group holds the corner of the market on hard workers anyway
Agreed

Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustaduke View Post
How about we also change the law to protect the businesses that hire illegals? After all these are legal American businesses we're talking about.
So, it's not illegal to hire someone "under the table"? Are you saying we pick and choose which laws to enforce? What laws would you suggest to protect those businesses?

Quote:
Or hows about we do the right thing and hold the illegals and businesses that hire them to the laws they are breaking as they both should be because they are both breaking them?
I don't have a problem with that...

Old 12-08-2011, 08:15 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,617,702 times
Quote:
I believe when I made the original statement, I was simply trying to say that immigrants (in general) have brought some positive things to our country. That's all.

Dang y'all. Why don't you tar and feather me already and get this over with!
Good grief! If you don't want to be questioned, why are you posting? I asked a legitimate question based on your comments, which implied we would receive a "new" culture to enrich our country. No need to be so defensive. I don't think anyone here has denied the contributions of immigrants. However, we are not discussing legal immigrants; we are discussing illegal aliens. Sorry, but a culture of fraud and deception is not my idea of enrichment.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
So, it's not illegal to hire someone "under the table"? Are you saying we pick and choose which laws to enforce? What laws would you suggest to protect those businesses?

I don't have a problem with that...
We don't pick and choose which laws to enforce. Our government does. And, they have chosen to ignore our laws, including decriminalizing ID theft when the offender is an illegal who steals an identity "for work purposes."

Old 12-08-2011, 08:49 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,888,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
McCain: Hispanic vote 'up for grabs' - Yahoo! News

Why does the "Hispanic vote" in the upcoming Presidential Election depend upon what the candidates approaches to illegal immigration and immigration laws are?

Why is it that the media and politicians openly tie the Hispanic vote to illegal immigration?

Aren't they admitting that the illegal immigration debate is closely tied to Hispanics? Isn't that asking for special-treatment? I mean, on the part of those who are hoping that a politician will save Hispanic illegal immigrants and "make them legal?"

What is the goal of these so-called Hispanic voters who are seeking to put someone in the Presidential office that will cater to illegal immigrants?

It all seems like asking for special consideration. I can't imagine how this view, these requests and the push for a President that will specifically cater to a specific group is OK. Yet, the media and politicians keep describing how Hispanics will only vote for a candidate IF immigration is made easier for other Hispanics.

That's not wrong?

Hispanic is a very poor identifier for the group you are referring to. We are not homogeneous and fact quite fractured based on culture and racial origins. We are not blacks who have fairly well fused a common identity by virtue of skin color.

No Hispanic would accept a Latino as part of their category and the latter are the actual group in question who raise the illegal immigration related issues.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:08 AM

31,382 posts, read 22,365,510 times
Quote:
Wow. Is it really believe that's the ONLY think Hispanic voters are concerned about?? So inaccurate!

There are actually a number of hispanic voters that resent NEW immigrants. Which Hispanics are you talking about? There are many types of Hispanics, and I assure you they do not all think the same way.
Within my family immigration isn't on the radar screen compared to the economy and getting us out of Iraq and Afganistan. I do have some extended family members that are from Mexico orginally who may have a bigger interest, but their too busy working and many don't don't even vote. I think for the most part this is a made up issue with Hispanic voters, who, as pointed out above are less monolithic than the media portrays: Some vote, some don't vote, some have roots in Mexico, some don't even know people from Mexico, Some speak Spanish, some haven't for multiple generations, some are white, some are 100% Indian and I hear there are even a few black Mexicans. About as diverse as any other group or more so.

Last edited by LS Jaun; 12-08-2011 at 09:17 AM..

Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Hispanic is a very poor identifier for the group you are referring to. We are not homogeneous and fact quite fractured based on culture and racial origins. We are not blacks who have fairly well fused a common identity by virtue of skin color.

No Hispanic would accept a Latino as part of their category and the latter are the actual group in question who raise the illegal immigration related issues.
This is true, which is precisely why the "Hispanic as a 'brown' race" agenda is so incredibly flawed. But, if they can't convince the masses that "Hispanic" denotes a particular identifiable race, they can't successfully play the race card to garner support for amnesty, or demonize the "racists" opponents of illegal immigration. I was married to a "white" so-called Hispanic. So, I know for a fact it is not the brown race.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
No, none of those things equates to advocating for illegal aliens. Illegal immigration is "illegal" none of those other things you mentioned are.

Okay, how about advocating to make abortion legal when it wasn't. Is that a better example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration