Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 12:58 PM

373 posts, read 710,393 times

Advertisements

They afraid they may take THEIR friggin jobs, no doubt

Old 12-31-2011, 01:09 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
As opposed to someone who lumps the majority of Latinos together.

Gee, I've never seen that. <--sarcastic

Well, you've never seen that from me, that's for sure.

In actuality, it is often "Latino leaders" themselves who like to lump all "Latinos" together for political expediency, and in an attempt to make it seem that there is a unified political bloc of opinion and aligned interests.

I am first generation on my father's side. My grandparents, and their children (including my father) sacrified a LOT to get here the proper way. So yeah, there IS and can be resentment in the "legal" immigrant community vs. "illegal" immigrant community!

Old 12-31-2011, 01:12 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
So your problem is not just with illegals, but also non illegal Mexicans
I have no problem with Mexicans who are here legally and those who are trying to make Mexico a better place. Way too many of Mexico's citizens are bad news, but it's Mexico's business to deal with them, not us.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:19 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
No you've lost the debate that's why you keep coming back with irrelevant history discussions.

Again you are taking this way too personal. Debate over. Feel free to carry on with it if you like. My points have already been made.

Though you have made your points we just disagree.
There is a difference between taking things too personally and recognizing the fallibility in our own viewpoints, and more importanly, our own histories. Some people learn, some do not, but it is always a willful choice.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:28 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
...I am first generation on my father's side. My grandparents, and their children (including my father) sacrified a LOT to get here the proper way. So yeah, there IS and can be resentment in the "legal" immigrant community vs. "illegal" immigrant community!
But not worried the least of worry when someone talks smack against a group for their ethnicity, rather than any legal or illegal status?...

Old 12-31-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
My people are the Irish, another "hated' group of people many years ago. They were treated like crap by the English. But the English actually helped out Ireland a lot like forcing us to join the modern world.

What I'm trying to say is it wasn't just the Indians who were conquered by a more powerful group of people.

Long story short, many Mexican Americans I know don't want illegals here for many reasons. Why Mexico is such a mess is Mexico's problem to solve. It's their choice. Either join the world or be taken down.

Concerning the diseases that killed off the Indians: many people in Europe died as well from them during the Plagues in the 15th Century. Louis Pasteur Pasteur's proof of disease transmission wasn't discovered till around 1850 something.
I'm afraid you don't understand how disease transmission works, at least not in this case. The Americas were extremely isolated and had been for millenia. They had no exposure to European diseases, and hence had very little, if any, immunity. It's estimated that 1/5th of the world's population died from this disease transmission in the first 100 years after First Contact, representing about 100,000,000 people. That's why most Europeans saw the Americas as pristine. By the time most of them got there, Native populations had been reduced, in some cases, by up to 90%. Europeans were not completely clueless about disease. First Contact groups did not fully understand all the ways in which it was transmitted, but they certainly understood its power and they understood the idea of it being contagious. Think of it this way: The American Elm tree. At one time, the American Elm represented 1 out of ever 4 trees in US forests. They practically dominated city streets for their pollution resistance and dense shade canopy. And then came Dutch Elm disease. Now, almost all American Elms are gone. You can still find a few, but the seeds grow only for a few years before dying off from the disease. This one disease changed the entire American landscape. This is what happened to the Natives.

And why Mexico is such a mess is our problem too, obviously. Illegal immigration is a direct result not only of Mexico's problems, but our role in them. This is not saying that Mexico is without blame. It surely is, but that is no excuse to wring our hands and pretend like we've always just been innocent bystanders who happen to be in a place other people want to be in. It's ridiculous.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:38 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
But not worried the least of worry when someone talks smack against a group for their ethnicity, rather than any legal or illegal status?...

The vast majority of posters in this section are fairly consistent in attacking illegal vs. legal immigrants. Some take great pains to make distinctions, even while others on the other side of the debate consistently seek to conflate or confuse the term "immigrants" with "illegal immigrants."

Old 12-31-2011, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
It's the truth. Mexico isn't a poor country. Haiti IS poor. antarez said countries like Japan rebuilt after being nuked in 1945. Mexico hasn't had any sort of real war in 100 years or so.
Japan was able to rebuild only because of American assistance. Same with Germany. That's why they still, to this day, have almost zero national defense and are almost completely reliable on foreign protection. You think we stay in Taiwan for the weather? And as far as Mexico goes, seriously? Do you know how long it took the US to come out of the Great Depression? If it wasn't for WWII, we may never have recovered fully. Even with that, the stock market did not recover it's pre-1929 crash value until the 1960s, about 40 years later. And we were meddling in Mexico as long as we have been a country. Why don't you look up the real story behind the Alamo. It's pretty interesting.

Honestly, folks, it's not like history is a secret.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Geez, can you believe it? Another living in the past individual. It has nothing to do with our immigration laws today. For the umpteenth time the tribal ancestors of the Mestizo Mexicans who are coming here lllegally were not indigenous to this country so how have we (the U.S.) been screwing them over for 500 years? Many of them don't like to acknowledge their Spanish roots either because that would mean that those ancestors are just as guilty as the English over the past. So essentially, they have no room to talk. I guess when they have no viable arguments against the enforcement of our immigration laws "today" they revert back to the "past".

As for NAFTA:

NAFTA: A Decade of Success | Office of the United States Trade Representative
Wow.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertylover7 View Post
A majority of the Hispanics favor strengthening the border and increasing enforcement.

Open borders sounds like another anti myth.
There are very few people who support open borders. I certainly don't. It doesn't make any sense to have them. I just support a comprehensive change in the way we deal with immigration and related policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.