Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of the following propositions do you support?
English should NOT be made the official language of the United States 8 22.86%
English SHOULD be made the official language of the United States 27 77.14%
Driver's tests should only be administered in English 21 60.00%
State-funded human services translators should cut 16 45.71%
State-funded courtroom translators should be cut 10 28.57%
Government websites in non-English languages should be cut 16 45.71%
Government applications in non-English languages should no longer be published 18 51.43%
New FCC permits should not be granted to non-English TV and radio networks 8 22.86%
TV and radio stations should not generally be allowed to broadcast in non-English languages 5 14.29%
Schools should not instruct in other languages than English 13 37.14%
Foreign languages should not be required for college graduation 10 28.57%
One or more of propositions 2-11 should apply to Puerto Rico 3 8.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:00 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I like the openness of not restricting the language, it sets the US apart.
How would making English our official national language restrict language? Many states have adopted English as their official language already and everyone is still allowed to speak any language they want.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:42 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
No it isn't. You obviously have not been to the areas of the USA where it is not. And yes employers can discriminate against English speaking black Americans as well as against whites. They can require native Spanish fluency and get by with having 100% hispanic employees.

Where I live Spanish is the de facto language, more jobs require Spanish fluency than English fluency, Walmart announcements are in Spanish. And in California, they're now forcing American kids to learn in Spanish -- not just forced to take Spanish language classes but to have their other classes taught to them in Spanish.
I think that English should be the official language of the United States - for government uses(voting, government services, highway signs,, etc...) There is nothing wrong with a private company having language skills requirements as part of their minimum qualifications for employment, nor should the federal or state government be prohibited from requiring language skills for their open positions(for example - CIA, military, State Department, translators, trade commisions)..

I posted the following in responses to a post in the Reno forum several months ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobSeekerReno View Post
As you may notice by my name I am looking for work.
Here is the question that I have I found this on a job posting today. I feel I am being discriminated against because I only speak english. I was born here! I have all qualifications EXCEPT this.

"Candidates who are literate in Spanish will be given preference."
Should be the most qualified REGARDLESS!!!!!

I don't believe in discrimination, fair to all.
I am not going to apply to something I'm not qualified for. For example Director of ___________. I am being realistic!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Languages are a skill. Complaining about a job that requires mastery of Spanish when you aren't fluent is like complaining about a job flying 737's when you don't have a pilot's license. The "preference" statement is there simply to weed out non-Spanish speakers so the employers time is not wasted.
Quote:
They may be "discriminating" against you, but not unfairly. The meaning of discrimination has changed in the recent past. Everyone discriiminates in their everyday lives - it is a way of making decisions that either benefit us or do not cause harm. It has been twisted into a word that has negative connotations and today if you discriminate - your are EVIIILL!!!

I like blue better than red - I have just discriminated. OK - colors are inanimate attributes. It is wrong to discriminate against people. Do not most people universally think that child molesters and murderers are evil persons. Oh no, you have just discriminated against those people. Oh,that is different, it is politically corect to do so, and morally defensible. Why are some other things not right to discriminate against?

Returning to the topic at hand - these persons seeking Spanish-speaking personnel likely are operating a business that mostly is patronized by Spanish-speakers. If you cannot speak the language - you will not be able to serve the customers effectively. Use your skills to find employment at a place where your langauge skills will be useful. Don't waste time complaining about want ads that want only Spanish speakers.

The CIA is now hiring people who speak Arabic, Pashtu, and Korean. Should I complain because they are discriminating against people who don't speak those languages? NO! Those languages are neccesary to fulfil the job requirements - probally translation. If you cannot converse wfluently with the businesses customers in Spanish, how can you perform the job effectively.

Language is a skill. Learn a second one - and many more doors will open up to you.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:48 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,315,893 times
Quote:
I think that English should be the official language of the United States - for government uses(voting, government services, highway signs,, etc...) There is nothing wrong with a private company having language skills requirements as part of their minimum qualifications for employment, nor should the federal or state government be prohibited from requiring language skills for their open positions(for example - CIA, military, State Department, translators, trade commisions)..

I posted the following in responses to a post in the Reno forum several months ago:
I disagree because it is only Spanish being pushed in this country and that is only because there are so many Spanish speaking illegals in this country and non-assimilating other Hispanics who just want to feel all warm and fuzzy being dealt with in Spanish even though they know English. Native English speakers should not be discriminated against in hiring practices just to accomodate them.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,689 times
I'd move this thread to Legal Immigration, as it clearly should be there not here, but since you already started fighting, I'm closing it instead so this fight love doesn't spread there.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration