Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,801,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
If you read WHY the government is doing this, it is going to save a money, and the agents are going to be transferred to stations closer to the border. I guess someone figured out that having more agents at the place where illegal CROSS makes more sense than keeping open border patrol stations open that, in some instances, are hundreds of MILES away from the border. Sounds like a good plan to me.

I'm no fan of the Dream Act or the recent government program to give kids brought here who went to school (illegally on our dime) or who go into military service, will get work permits, college assistance, etc., but this idea to get more agents at the border sounds like a good one to me.

This administration has deported more illegals than the administration before it by a wide margin, but let's not complicate the discussion with too many facts.

I think, based on the facts, that Obama's record on illegals is "mixed", but apparently you have a different view based on...?
However -- as we all remember, Clinton opened the border so that within 80 miles, anyone can pretty much just cross, those stations 80 miles inside the border are where the checks are done. A border crossing card is extremely easy for anyone to get and statistics show that many illegals are visa overstays, but they crossed legally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 12:36 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,304,790 times
Default Could I get an explanation please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
the drug cartels are pretty happy now.

i don't think it is an accident that all this is happening with this new push to legalize marijuana in california. that is the last thing california needs to do with the cartels out of control. i may personally favor legalization, but NOT when the cartels are calling the shots in the state..
I'll agree with you that the Drug Cartels are pretty happy now. Keeping cannabis illegal keeps the price up.

With the Feds forcing even legitimite dispensaries (those complying with all local and state requirements, which the Feds initially said they would not target) to close, they can expect all that business, 10's of millions of dollars if not more, will now to going to the Cartels. What a combination, our federal government helping the Cartels to reap more millions! I'd say the Cartels should be sending all the federal prosecutors in California and elsewhere, gift baskets and flowers.

The desire to legalize marijuana in California will hurt the Cartels, not help them. They know that if it were legal, California can grow enough to supply the whole US. Cannabis is a lot easier to grow than iceberg lettuce, and requires much less water. Legalization would also lower prices as supply increased. You've heard of supply and demand, no doubt?

The last thing the Cartel's want is legalization, which would reduce their profit in this very low cost high profit industry, as most illegal industries are.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Cartels, along with the liquor and tobacco industries, were separetely supporting efforts to defeat legalization for their own reasons, after all Wells Fargo was implicated in laundering money for the Cartels in California and paid millions in fines and penalties.

What to you think the Cartels did with the money when it was clean? Investment in non-illegal businesses and political contributions would be my guess.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:45 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
However -- as we all remember, Clinton opened the border so that within 80 miles, anyone can pretty much just cross, those stations 80 miles inside the border are where the checks are done. A border crossing card is extremely easy for anyone to get and statistics show that many illegals are visa overstays, but they crossed legally.
Permanent Border Patrol checkpoints, used to screen for Border Crossing Cards, are 25 to 75 miles from the border...

Whereas "extremely easy for anyone to get" is your inventive personality showing again...

Why don't you call them "Shopping Visas" like you did before?...

Old 07-13-2012, 01:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,801,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Permanent Border Patrol checkpoints, used to screen for Border Crossing Cards, are 25 to 75 miles from the border...

Whereas "extremely easy for anyone to get" is your inventive personality showing again...

Why don't you call them "Shopping Visas" like you did before?...
Well they aren't really shopping visas when they are used to get here and stay. And then whine that they aren't really illegals but visa overstays. But -- some good Mexicans really do use them just to come to shop and aren't cheating the system.

Yes, my point was that these stations being closed were for that purpose, because Clinton made the border crossing cards so easily obtained, and opened up the border so that anyone can come to "visit" but stay inside that 80 miles range.

Now Obama is closing these stations so that nothing stops those border crossers from going anywhere into the USA they wish.

Old 07-13-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well they aren't really shopping visas when they are used to get here and stay. And then whine that they aren't really illegals but visa overstays. But -- some good Mexicans really do use them just to come to shop and aren't cheating the system.

Yes, my point was that these stations being closed were for that purpose, because Clinton made the border crossing cards so easily obtained, and opened up the border so that anyone can come to "visit" but stay inside that 80 miles range.

Now Obama is closing these stations so that nothing stops those border crossers from going anywhere into the USA they wish.
I think I am quite done with letting your imagination run wild...

It is incredibly obvious that you didn't read about the closings, or their locations and functions, at all...

Old 07-13-2012, 03:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,626,176 times
Well, if anything, this will drive the illegals to move to CA when other states start passing anti-illegal reform bills.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:50 PM

1,150 posts, read 1,180,424 times
When is Obama going to sue California? Arizona's bill just enforced federal law, but California is actually passing a law in direct opposition to federal law. When is Holder going to file charges against California claiming immigration is strictly a federal issue, and they can't change the law?

Old 07-13-2012, 04:29 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,337,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayarcy View Post
When is Obama going to sue California? Arizona's bill just enforced federal law, but California is actually passing a law in direct opposition to federal law. When is Holder going to file charges against California claiming immigration is strictly a federal issue, and they can't change the law?
Don't hold your breath.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:34 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,337,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
If you read WHY the government is doing this, it is going to save a money, and the agents are going to be transferred to stations closer to the border. I guess someone figured out that having more agents at the place where illegal CROSS makes more sense than keeping open border patrol stations open that, in some instances, are hundreds of MILES away from the border. Sounds like a good plan to me.

I'm no fan of the Dream Act or the recent government program to give kids brought here who went to school (illegally on our dime) or who go into military service, will get work permits, college assistance, etc., but this idea to get more agents at the border sounds like a good one to me.

This administration has deported more illegals than the administration before it by a wide margin, but let's not complicate the discussion with too many facts.

I think, based on the facts, that Obama's record on illegals is "mixed", but apparently you have a different view based on...?
However, he recently gave over 1 million of them a stay of deportation with work permits. He has also instructed HS not to deport any illegal aliens unless they are felons. Those are the only ones he is deporting while millions of non-"convicted" ones will be allowed to stay here without fear of deportation.

Old 07-13-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
However, he recently gave over 1 million of them a stay of deportation with work permits...
Which category are you talking about here?...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration