Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 08:25 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,364,091 times

Advertisements

Undocumented, as Obama calls those who have no legal papers, don't like to be called illegal. Some of them don't even believe that they are breaking any laws by being here illegally. I would cry for them if this weren't so ridiculous but it is hard to feel sorry for someone who can't understand that he committed a crime, according to the US Criminal Code and until he serves his stated time as payment is still illegal.

Don

Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 PM

29,960 posts, read 25,089,513 times
I don't care what the ILLEGALS want. If they want to come to my country and debase the wage structure, they will just have to deal with it, the same way I have to deal with them destroying my country. And every illegal I ever met knew exactly what they were doing, and those food cards cost somebody something. You don't get something for nothing. They are not THAT stupid.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 PM

24,813 posts, read 24,462,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Undocumented, as Obama calls those who have no legal papers, don't like to be called illegal. Some of them don't even believe that they are breaking any laws by being here illegally. I would cry for them if this weren't so ridiculous but it is hard to feel sorry for someone who can't understand that he committed a crime, according to the US Criminal Code and until he serves his stated time as payment is still illegal.

Don
If a child has been here for 17 of their 18 years of life, they are as much an American as my son is.

And no one is doing the jobs of the "undocumented" or "illegals", so I say let them stay here. Hell, we need to open the border up more.

Free country and all, we should accept everyone. It'll drive down labor costs, increase production in factories, and make us competitive with China because we'll have cheaper labor.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:47 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,956,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
If a child has been here for 17 of their 18 years of life, they are as much an American as my son is.

And no one is doing the jobs of the "undocumented" or "illegals", so I say let them stay here. Hell, we need to open the border up more.

Free country and all, we should accept everyone. It'll drive down labor costs, increase production in factories, and make us competitive with China because we'll have cheaper labor.
There are a lot of good people that want to come here from Mexico, that can't afford the hoops they have to jump through to do it legally and that needs to be addressed, but, at the same time, there needs to be documentation and we need to have a handle on who is coming and going. It can be done and in such a way that we can eliminate illegals and replace them with documented labor.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
There are a lot of good people that want to come here from Mexico, that can't afford the hoops they have to jump through to do it legally and that needs to be addressed, but, at the same time, there needs to be documentation and we need to have a handle on who is coming and going. It can be done and in such a way that we can eliminate illegals and replace them with documented labor.
Ellis island.

Worked before. Build something similar in Texas.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,717,466 times
Quote:

Yes it drives down labor costs but does NOTHING for consumer prices.
With all the illegals in construction, did homes get cheaper ? NO
With many illegals in food processing, has the price of chicken, beef, pork gone down ? NO

Just like with the "Made in China", the end cost to us has NOT gone down.
What happens is that the difference is kept by the corporations. The savings from labor costs are not passed on.

We will never be on par with China for labor costs. There is no way a person could live in the US making the wage of a Chinese worker. $17 per day is what Chinese workers at Foxconn make.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Yes it drives down labor costs but does NOTHING for consumer prices.
With all the illegals in construction, did homes get cheaper ? NO
With many illegals in food processing, has the price of chicken, beef, pork gone down ? NO

Just like with the "Made in China", the end cost to us has NOT gone down.
What happens is that the difference is kept by the corporations. The savings from labor costs are not passed on.

We will never be on par with China for labor costs. There is no way a person could live in the US making the wage of a Chinese worker.
Why not?

Free market capitalism would say that some smart business guy will realize "hey, it costs me less to produce this product now. I can lower prices to get more market share and make more money in the process."

Or are we suddenly not for a free market?

Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,956,618 times
Quote:
Ellis island.

Pretty much... Secure the border and make a few passages open to LEGAL immigration....

Old 08-24-2012, 08:54 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,879,433 times
Quote:

Only three percent of all illegals work in agriculture. Most of them work in many of the same industries as Americans do. The last thing we need to do is drive down wages and living standards here. American wages have not risen in decades. The only reason "cheap" laborers can afford to live here is because a) they in tiny hovels and b) they heavily use welfare programs such as food stamps. So there is no true cheap labor because of illegals. They are heavily subsidized by the American public. The last thing the heavily taxed middle class needs right now are more illegals to pay for.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,717,466 times
Quote:
Ellis island.

There were no social welfare programs. One had to work to put food on the table and depend on family to survive and make a go of it.

Very different environment today with taxpayers taking the place of the family and job for new arrivals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration