Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:32 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,364,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I agree, we should eliminate or lower the minimum wage.

But we can't be big government on one thing, and not the other. Has to start somewhere.

If you flood the market with new labor sources, wages will have to come down. Thats the problem with the Republican party, they aren't small government, they like government when it suits them.
Now that you have switched over to politics I don't feel for you any more. I did but I don't now.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
Criminal trespassers in what they need to be called.
I really think illegal is much nicer that criminal trespasser, but I guess we have to change the name we use most before they see what they really are.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I'm saying let all of them become citizens on a trial basis, tax them, make sure they aren't breaking the law, and they'll increase production, lower wage costs, and everyone will be the better for it.

Thats a "Free market" solution.

Illegal immigrants aren't going anywhere, so we might as well use them in the best way possible, by allowing them to become real full citizens, and tax them like everyone else is.
Some of our illegals were going, for a time, and then The One decided that he needed some votes and stopped the deportation of them. He has caused the ICE people some real consternation as to how they can do their jobs and I am waiting to see when his EO to give those "students" amnesty comes out. Maybe a bit before October 30?

Old 08-25-2012, 11:40 AM

8,660 posts, read 9,187,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And many are also grouping together and living under one roof so they can stay.
It's quite common in Hispanic (and Asian) culture that multi-generations live in the same house.
The sons will marry and stay there while the daughters get married and move into the husband's family home.

Construction was a big employer for many and when that went bust that hurt them financially.

Multiple families living under one roof saves a considerable amount of money.
I agree. I've seen it first hand in my town in Fairfax, Va. Not cheap living here at all, no where in-fact. One particular house when sold had 9 bedrooms partitioned in the basement. This house received many complaints and violations that in time leans where placed against it by the HOA. They sold and moved.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And many are also grouping together and living under one roof so they can stay.
It's quite common in Hispanic (and Asian) culture that multi-generations live in the same house.
The sons will marry and stay there while the daughters get married and move into the husband's family home.

Construction was a big employer for many and when that went bust that hurt them financially.

Multiple families living under one roof saves a considerable amount of money.
I remember, not long ago, when the police in Dodge City, Ks, got a bit suspicious about the "parking lot" outside a mobile home and upon checking found 27 illegals living in said home. One bathroom seemed to work for them. They had put on skirting and had beds on the ground and cut a hole in the floor to get "upstairs" or "downstairs. All of the "residents" were male.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:01 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,493,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
They are already here. It's already costing us that and more because they are undocumented. Allowing access only to documented workers allows some manner of control. We are already paying more than they make in services. Neither party has made a move to get any of this changed. We need some control of who is and who isn't allowed in, otherwise nothing will change.

Your so right, it is already costing us a bundle, a negative we definitely do not need. I believe if the two party's got their heads out of their arses, and work together, on this damn pesky problem.

That some good might come of it.

I sadly don't see this prolbem changing for the better, i can't speak for Romeny, he is not our President, don't know how he would truly handle the situation.

However Obama is in charge, and making this matter only worse. He caves, and panders and kisses their butt's so often, and if this is for the votes, only i have lost all respect for this President.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:12 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,885,359 times
Quote:
"Scab" workers has been used by Unions for decades, and Republicans don't like unions. Now suddenly the same logic of "free market" is being applied to illegal immigration, and you're against scabs now?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

Nothing makes me happier then to use small government, free market ideals, to drive Republicans crazy.

Shows their true colors, that they aren't for small government at all, just like government big where they like it. Republicans are no better then democrats.
Holy Cow!! This coming from a liberal who wants to see unions destroyed by allowing countless numbers of ultra cheap workers to come flooding over the border to take jobs for lesser pay than Americans can live on.

No one is stupid enough to believe that the powers-that-be and the corporations and elites just happen to really love a type of foreigner more than Americans for any reason other than they love the cheap labor, falling wages and of course easy votes. This is not about love for any particular foreign citizen. It's about cheap labor and destroying the American middle class.

There was a time when liberals supported Cesar Chavez and the UFW but today the liberals have gone to the side of the employers who want the dirt cheap labor -- the Pelosis for example who made their millions destroying the UFW and benefitting from truckloads of low paid illegals.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:14 PM

8,660 posts, read 9,187,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Your so right, it is already costing us a bundle, a negative we definitely do not need. I believe if the two party's got their heads out of their arses, and work together, on this damn pesky problem.

That some good might come of it.

I sadly don't see this prolbem changing for the better, i can't speak for Romeny, he is not our President, don't know how he would truly handle the situation.

However Obama is in charge, and making this matter only worse. He caves, and panders and kisses their butt's so often, and if this is for the votes, only i have lost all respect for this President.
I have a hunch in what Romney would do....nothing, just like the rest of the errand boys. We all know he's pretty good at out sourcing American jobs and keeping penny pinching jobs here in the states like Staples, selling Chinese products. Maybe those jobs can be filled quickly with illegals, boosting those dividends.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,361,222 times
Quote:
If a child has been here for 17 of their 18 years of life, they are as much an American as my son is.

And no one is doing the jobs of the "undocumented" or "illegals", so I say let them stay here. Hell, we need to open the border up more.

Free country and all, we should accept everyone. It'll drive down labor costs, increase production in factories, and make us competitive with China because we'll have cheaper labor.
Illegals have taken millions of jobs that Americans would love to do. Jobs that pay decently in fact. Illegals have taken over so many of the bus boy and line cook positions for example.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,885,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I agree. I've seen it first hand in my town in Fairfax, Va. Not cheap living here at all, no where in-fact. One particular house when sold had 9 bedrooms partitioned in the basement. This house received many complaints and violations that in time leans where placed against it by the HOA. They sold and moved.
The slum lords are another group that very much likes having illegals -- all that housing that no American would want to live in -- well guess who does want to live in it. And they won't complain much at all, aren't even aware of tenant rights and the responsibilities of landlords.

Around where I live, you can rent out an old travel trailer or broken down RV, poor condition old mobile home or a apartment in an old building thanks to many immigrants used to dirt floor shacks coming for the good life in the USA.

No smoke detectors necessary and if you want to make the immigrants feel safe, you install metal bars in the cheap run down improperly-wired trailer you rented them and if there is a fire, tough luck for them and their kids who just burned up, screaming while they died because they were trapped. Or a case here where some people unfamiliar with home heating and non-insulated old trailers had come up and given birth to a couple of anchor twins. It was winter and they had little money as the anchor welfare handouts hadn't kicked in yet so they bent the chimney into the bedroom of the family with the infants who of course died.

Or the old travel trailers and broken down mobile homes here where the landlord was too cheap to put in a septic tank and the plumbing was just to the ground where the kids were found playing in a pond of sewage.

Yes, landlords are often another free-market kind of liberals who want their illegals who don't fuss over horrendous conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration