Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 05:50 PM

8,660 posts, read 9,187,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I agree with most of what you said except about the kids brought here illegally by their parents. They need to go home along with their parents rather than rewarding their parents who brought them here by allowing their kids to remain here. My concern is for our own citizens only. We have enough problems to tackle caring for our own. Our economy is stagnant and there are no jobs. Many of our cities and states are broke. Let's get Americans back to work, start building up our tax coffers again and enforce our immigration laws.
I agree. My point was these young adults are asimulated and know of no other life but the US. The US still allows for legal immigration. These young adults need to go through the system first legally.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:02 PM

63,328 posts, read 29,409,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I agree. My point was these young adults are asimulated and know of no other life but the US. The US still allows for legal immigration. These young adults need to go through the system first legally.
They can adapt to their homeland. People both adults and kids have had to move all over the world and they do adapt. These illegal immigrants know their country's language and culture. Many of them probably still have relatives in the homeland. I don't see it being a big adjustment for them. Their parents need to go with them which will make the transition even easier. If they or their parents want to come back here legally then they should go the back of the line and wait their turn. What is the point of allowing them to remain here and taking a job that should belong to an American? We have enough unemployed of our own and they should be our first concern.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:14 PM

[quote=hi_tec_lo_life;25804987]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
. . . I care about the American economy. You bring in cheap labor from south of the border, make them pay taxes, don't give them the social safety nets for a given number of years, and watch production go up and labor costs decrease. . . .

In consensus reality we call that the last twenty years. La frontera has moved inexorably north from the maquiladora belt. That was the plan, wasn't it?

In consensus reality aliens have provided cheap domestic labour, paid taxes, and rejected social safety nets for decades. Production has gone up and labour costs have gone down. Crime's gone down too.

Some people will never be happy.
How does bringing cheap labor from any foreign country help inflate the wages for Americans? It doesn't. It deflates our own wages. How does this help our citizens? The only ones who benefit from cheap, illegal labor are the employers while their healthcare, education and all other costs come out of our taxes. I thought we were all opposed to the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer? Crime has gone down? Hardly. There have been many stats provided in here to the contrary. ID theft is on the rise and much of it from illegal immigrants doing it. There are even more serious crimes attributed to illegal immigrants.

Those of us who know how damaging illegal immigration is to our country will be happy when our immigration laws are enforced and our politicians stop pandering to corporations and special interest groups for votes and do what is right for the majority of Americans and the future of this country.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_tec_lo_life View Post
Yes. Busing tables. Great example of a job everyone would "love" to do that pays decently. *snort*
With 23 million Americans out of work I am sure many of them would bus tables rather than starve. Those kinds of jobs are entry level jobs that our youth need and have always done.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:27 PM

6 posts, read 5,664 times
Quote:
With 23 million Americans out of work I am sure many of them would bus tables rather than starve. Those kinds of jobs are entry level jobs that our youth need and have always done.
That explains the surge in applications for busing jobs, right?

Old 08-25-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Where is this surge of ads asking for busboys?

Old 08-25-2012, 06:34 PM

8,660 posts, read 9,187,243 times
Quote:
Put it this way. Life before millions were able to cross over to this country our kids bussed the tables, worked the restaurants, construction etc. Add millions of illegals presto, our kids don't do those jobs anymore. By the way my take on all of these illegals is its an offshoot of NAFTA, caused by agreements that where not handled in an honorable way.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:02 PM

[quote=Oldglory;25805589]
Quote:

How does bringing cheap labor from any foreign country help inflate the wages for Americans? It doesn't. It deflates our own wages. How does this help our citizens? The only ones who benefit from cheap, illegal labor are the employers while their healthcare, education and all other costs come out of our taxes. I thought we were all opposed to the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer? Crime has gone down? Hardly. There have been many stats provided in here to the contrary. ID theft is on the rise and much of it from illegal immigrants doing it. There are even more serious crimes attributed to illegal immigrants.

Those of us who know how damaging illegal immigration is to our country will be happy when our immigration laws are enforced and our politicians stop pandering to corporations and special interest groups for votes and do what is right for the majority of Americans and the future of this country.
In the last twenty years in the US productivity has gone up, labour costs have gone down, and crime has gone down. These are facts.

The "employers" are not obliged to provide health care or education beyond what they pay in taxes. Their "benefit" is passed along whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Perhaps they should be taxed more (which will also be passed along).

If you won't be happy until politicians stop pandering to corporations &c., then I stand by what I said. Some people (and you in particular) will never be happy.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Where is this surge of ads asking for busboys?
Craigslist? I dunno.

"With 23 million Americans out of work" you'd think they'd be advertising their willingness to work a job they'd "love" that pays decently "rather than starve". An unemployed person waiting for a recruiting advert in this job market isn't really looking for work.

Old 08-25-2012, 07:12 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,879,433 times
[quote=hi_tec_lo_life;25806126]
Quote:

In the last twenty years in the US productivity has gone up, labour costs have gone down, and crime has gone down. These are facts.

The "employers" are not obliged to provide health care or education beyond what they pay in taxes. Their "benefit" is passed along whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Perhaps they should be taxed more (which will also be passed along).

If you won't be happy until politicians stop pandering to corporations &c., then I stand by what I said. Some people (and you in particular) will never be happy.
Wages have also gone down. We are not obligated to provide the cheap and greedy with access to docile labor. If an employer wants a five dollar an hour slave to do dangerous and unpleasant work and then pass the costs when the employee gets sick or old to everyone else that employer is a menace and so are his slaves. Both should be seen as such and treated accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration