Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:23 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,917,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Come hang out with your Friendly Neighborhood Jew (TM) more often!

People whom I had never seen drinking...quite pious, observant Jews...would get blisteringly drunk on Purim. Technically you are supposed to drink until you can't tell the difference between 'cursed be Haman' and 'blessed be Mordechai', but as with all things Jewish you get 10 Jews in a room, you get 11 opinions on anything.

Purim is really fun though. I think everyone should celebrate it. Plus, hamantaschen (triangular cookies) are delish!

Cinco de Mayo? More like Cinco de LAME-O!
I can't Rep you but that make me laugh. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,311,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I can't Rep you but that make me laugh. Thanks.
Happy to help.

P.S. Purim really is fun. And Reform Jewish congregations are very welcoming. Even if you are very secure in your faith you are always welcome to visit a congregation to learn more about Judaism and our culture. Just because we don't seek converts doesn't mean we don't welcome gentiles.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:58 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,850,910 times
I think I've stumbled in to some sort of chat room with a couple of the topics here, can someone direct me to where the forum actually is?...

Old 04-30-2013, 09:00 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,500,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Actually, Mexico controls its borders very well.
No it doesn't.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:19 AM

63,007 posts, read 29,194,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
No it doesn't.
A little outdated but I am sure little has changed.

John W. Slagle -- Mexico's Immigration Laws and Illegal Aliens

Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
A little outdated but I am sure little has changed.

John W. Slagle -- Mexico's Immigration Laws and Illegal Aliens
Actually, Mexican immigration laws have changed dramatically since 2007...

Old 04-30-2013, 09:53 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,574,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
FIFY

Cinco de Mayo should not be a recognized American Holiday. There's no need to show solidarity with all the illegal aliens who should be deported. Due to pathetic and vile liberals pandering for votes and a desire to build a permanent underclass that will always vote D they now have the potential to become citizens.
Nobody has proposed making "Cinco de Mayo" a American holiday. Of course your delusional brain thinks so!
We celebrate St. Patrick's Day too which isn't a official holiday but I'm sure the Irish were the immigrant "scum" of their day.
We are talking about celebrating a culture in a hemisphere full of different people! Have a issue with "illegals"? back track that BS to Reagan who granted "amnesty" to millions of "illegals!

Reagan didn't have a "D" behind his name now!...did he?.....chirp chirp! crickets....

Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
Actually, Mexican immigration laws have changed dramatically since 2007...
Well when they start having millions of illegal immigrants in their country of the number we do then I will believe that they are just as lax as we are in securing their borders.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Well when they start having millions of illegal immigrants in their country of the number we do then I will believe that they are just as lax as we are in securing their borders.
No, the Mexican system is different from ours. If I want to travel into the interior of Mexico, I go into the local IMN office to get an "FMM" (the offices are all over Mexico, or you can get it from a Mexican Consulate or online, and they are furnished on plane flights that go into the interior of Mexico for non-citizens). An FMM that has a week term is free of charge. The maximum length is 180 days, and is about $25 USD. At some point during your trip, you go into a bank to pay, and they emboss the paper that you have done so (no money goes to the clerks at an IMN office, which limits the corruption).

Before the FMM expires, you turn it in on your way out of the interior. I've even got a second permit after returning the prior one openly, where the clerk will tell you to wait until the next day or shift. As well as entering and leaving the interior multiple times while the same FMM permit is in effect. It's a related process to take a vehicle in, which I've done multiple times.

So for $25 USD, there is an advertised mechanism to stay in the interior of Mexico, and it can be done (with a trip out of the interior to get a back-to-back FMM) for longer than six months. There are longer permits, which provide the ability to work, if the situation needs it. Why be "illegal" in the interior of Mexico if there are easy ways not to be?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
No, the Mexican system is different from ours. If I want to travel into the interior of Mexico, I go into the local IMN office to get an "FMM" (the offices are all over Mexico, or you can get it from a Mexican Consulate or online, and they are furnished on plane flights that go into the interior of Mexico for non-citizens). An FMM that has a week term is free of charge. The maximum length is 180 days, and is about $25 USD. At some point during your trip, you go into a bank to pay, and they emboss the paper that you have done so (no money goes to the clerks at an IMN office, which limits the corruption).

Before the FMM expires, you turn it in on your way out of the interior. I've even got a second permit after returning the prior one openly, where the clerk will tell you to wait until the next day or shift. As well as entering and leaving the interior multiple times while the same FMM permit is in effect. It's a related process to take a vehicle in, which I've done multiple times.

So for $25 USD, there is an advertised mechanism to stay in the interior of Mexico, and it can be done (with a trip out of the interior to get a back-to-back FMM) for longer than six months. There are longer permits, which provide the ability to work, if the situation needs it. Why be "illegal" in the interior of Mexico if there are easy ways not to be?

But you are talking about going to Mexico legally not illegally. The scenario you painted doesn't include sneaking in. You know it's fairly easy to get a tourist visa to come here also. The illegals here aren't coming here to visit and spend their tourist money. They are coming here to take jobs and benefits. While here, they have baby after baby at our expense which then qualifies them for all
means-tested benefits. This is a 100% a different scenario than the one you are putting forth.

Let's see Americans sneak into Mexico and work without permission and collect benefits for themselves and their families by the 10's of millions. Only then will any comparisons be accurate!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.