Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 02:17 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,055,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
That’s a matter of opinion. Hispanic citizens, at least those I know, do not behave like Hispanic illegal aliens. The Hispanics I know, are fully assimilated, educated, and would not consider violating our laws.
Legal Hispanics do not walk into this country assimilated. It took them time. Cultural behaviors are the same...same holidays, same cultural manners etc. It's ignorance to believe that they are different when they come from the same environments and same Latin American countries.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:19 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,603,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Legal Hispanics do not walk into this country assimilated. It took them time. Cultural behaviors are the same...same holidays, same cultural manners etc. It's ignorance to believe that they are different when they come from the same environments and same Latin American countries.
As I stated previously, it’s a matter of opinion.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:24 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,585,323 times
Quote:
They are not two different cultures. It's one and the same. The only difference is legality.
When immigrants assimilate into American society, they DO become 'different' from those left behind. It may take awhile, but Italian-Americans are not "just like" Italians..there is a difference in many respects. Ditto for all other groups, including Hispanics. Once they've been here awhile, they're no longer "like" those back home. The longer they've been here, the greater the difference.

"Legality"? Yes, that is a factor. Even with recent immigrants. legality draws a line. It isn't a matter of culture, but it's an important factor if one plans to be an American. Law-abiding White protestants are of the same "culture" as the Ku Klux Klan....yet few people would say that's a sign they're 'all the same'. Catholics share the "culture" of the Mafia (la Cosa Nostra), yet feel little or no sense of 'kinship'. Highly successful Vietnamese may share a culture with vicious gangs...yet would object to being told they're "like" them.

I know a large number of Hispanic people who definitely do NOT want to be told they're 'almost like' illegals...and would get quite upset to find that anyone regarded them as such.

Culture is one thing....but in a huge, multi-ethnic society, "legality" is an important concept. It means something.

Just wanted to make these points..

Old 11-20-2009, 02:27 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,603,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
When immigrants assimilate into American society, they DO become 'different' from those left behind. It may take awhile, but Italian-Americans are not "just like" Italians..there is a difference in many respects. Ditto for all other groups, including Hispanics. Once they've been here awhile, they're no longer "like" those back home. The longer they've been here, the greater the difference.

"Legality"? Yes, that is a factor. Even with recent immigrants. legality draws a line. It isn't a matter of culture, but it's an important factor if one plans to be an American. Law-abiding White protestants are of the same "culture" as the Ku Klux Klan....yet few people would say that's a sign they're 'all the same'. Catholics share the "culture" of the Mafia (la Cosa Nostra), yet feel little or no sense of 'kinship'. Highly successful Vietnamese may share a culture with vicious gangs...yet would object to being told they're "like" them.

I know a large number of Hispanic people who definitely do NOT want to be told they're 'almost like' illegals...and would get quite upset to find that anyone regarded them as such.

Culture is one thing....but in a huge, multi-ethnic society, "legality" is an important concept. It means something.

Absolutely!

Old 11-20-2009, 02:54 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,349,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

I agree for the most part about becoming more Americanized the longer one lives here but there is a good portion of Hispanics who still resist assimiliation linguistically out in mainstream America. Also there are far too many of them that no matter how long they live here they still maintain that tribal mentality in regards to their views on illegal immigration. I think this should be of grave concern. This is just another sign of non-assimilation and seperatism from mainstream America.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:08 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,990,552 times
Quote:
They are not two different cultures. It's one and the same. The only difference is legality.
I cannot stand this manipulative fence shifting. And I cant believe our politicians let people get away with it. --- When its convenient for pro-illegal immigration advocates, then they say: "Oh you racist! NOT ALL illegal immigrants are hispanic. You're just picking on hispanics because you hate Latinos. Hispanics arent the only illegal immigrants, so why dont you racist say anything about the illegal immigrants from Sweden?!"

Yet when someone states that illegal immigrants arent all Hispanic, then all of a sudden "They are not separate cultures. Illegal immigrants and hispanics are one in the same. If you are anti illegal immigration, then you are, by default, Anti Hispanic."

Illegal/Criminal advocates need to quit shifting the goal post. Either they want illegal immigrants to be synonymous with Hispanics or they dont. And if they dont want illegal immigrants to be synonymous with Hispanic, then people need to quit accusing illegal immigration opposers of being racist. You cant be racist and anti-illegal immigration if every race is recognized as being capable of being illegal aliens.

Last edited by solytaire; 11-20-2009 at 03:32 PM..

Old 11-20-2009, 03:24 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,217,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I cannot stand this manipulative fence shifting. And I cant believe our politicians let people get away with it. --- When its convenient for pro-illegal immigration advocates, then they say: "Oh you racist! NOT ALL illegal immigrants are hispanic. You're just picking on hispanics because you hate Latinos. Hispanics arent the only illegal immigrants, so why dont you racist say anything about the illegal immigrants from Sweden?!"

Yet when someone states that illegal immigrants arent all Hispanic, then all of a sudden "They are not separate cultures. Illegal immigrants and hispanics are one in the same. If you are anti illegal immigration, then you are, by default, Anti Hispanic."

Illegal/Criminal advocates need to quit shifting the goal post. Either they want illegal immigrants to be synonymous with Hispanics or they dont. And if they dont want illegal immigrants to be synonymous with Hispanic, then people need to quit accusing illegal immigration opposers of being racist. You cant be racist and anti-illegal immigration if every race are recognized as being capable of being illegal aliens.
The pro illegal apologists have their backs against the wall and are trying the 'race card' to get their way. Petulant little losers, most of them.

One 'slight' problem: using the putative Hispanic race card against especially an American Black is very bad ju-ju since the latter's ancestors were frequently brought to the USA against their will.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:41 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,990,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The pro illegal apologists have their backs against the wall and are trying the 'race card' to get their way. Petulant little losers, most of them.

One 'slight' problem: using the putative Hispanic race card against especially an American Black is very bad ju-ju since the latter's ancestors were frequently brought to the USA against their will.

very true. Its hard to use the experience of American Blacks in this country as the supposed analogue to the plight of Illegal Immigrants when illegal immigrants are coming here willfully. They can talk all they want about how big corporations "entice" illegal immigrants to come here, etc. Thats hogwash. Big corporations are no more enticing anyone to come here than the drug dealer on the corner is enticing me to walk up and wait for him to sell me drugs. Or than a supermarket is enticing me to go inside and steal, because the prices are too high for me to afford to buy their items legally.

Off loading responsibility onto corporate America doesnt work for me because 1) The mischievous behavior of corporations in no way absolves illegal immigrants of responsibility for their willfull compliance. 2) If everyone deserved compassion just because they were trying to feed a family (which they should never have started if they couldnt provide for it legally.), then hardly anyone would be guilty of crime. I mean whats to say I couldnt just go on a shop lifting spree and clean out Wal Mart...after all Im just trying to feed the fam. How about I go rob a bank? Im sure they'll understand. Nevermind the fact that I never accounted for how I would provide for my family LEGALLY, BEFORE I started the family.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:29 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,689,392 times
at one point in time german was as prevalent as spanish is now. at another time it was italian. people worried that the country was becoming too german or too italian, now people worry its becomng too spanish. its not.

but aside from that. you totally lost. i dont understand your logic. apparently language is part of culture, but food isnt?

culture is made up of many things. US culture has been evolving since US inception. its going to continue. we will see it in language, in fashion, in sports, in entertainment AND in FOOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
What culture? Well let's start with English as our national language. Those of you that hate the white anlgo culture that this country was founded on can remain in denial all you want but it is still the dominant and basic culture of this country. I'm not jealous or in denial that Mexico's culture is Hispanic and their national language is Spanish. That would be just plain dumb to deny the obvous.

Sure we enjoy some ethnic foods also but what has that to do with our basic culture? It doesn't change a thing. In many parts of the northeast they don't even know what salsa is. You do know there are many more states than just in the southwest, don't you?

Old 11-20-2009, 04:32 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,689,392 times
sources please, because the studies i have seen show that language acquisition is accelerated by the first and second generation.

studies also show that this new wave of immigrants is assimilating faster than previous immigrant waves.

you say things like they were fact. but its just your opinion. an erroneous one at that.

and enough with this tribalism!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I agree for the most part about becoming more Americanized the longer one lives here but there is a good portion of Hispanics who still resist assimiliation linguistically out in mainstream America. Also there are far too many of them that no matter how long they live here they still maintain that tribal mentality in regards to their views on illegal immigration. I think this should be of grave concern. This is just another sign of non-assimilation and seperatism from mainstream America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration