Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,010,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antarez View Post
I don't see this happening, the next civil rights issue will be polygamy, if gay marriage is legal then what would be a valid argument against polygamy ?
I personally don't see anything wrong with it WXCEPT if they expect the taxpayers to pay entitlement benefits to multiple spouses and kids. I don't believe that our entitlement system could handle that. If they did, it wouldn't be fair to "one spouse" couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yes, and a growing dislike of their ethnocentric supporters.
Older Mexican Americans (at least the ones I know)don't like illegals, but seem afraid or reluctant to speak out about it because they remember the prejudice that they encountered when growing up. The term "*******" or "illegal" are not used as much. Instead, you might here "mojado", "mojadito" and more willingness to accept the belief that they come here for better lives. I (with other Mexican-Americans) are reversing that trend. I REFUSE to speak Spanish to them when they want to speak it. I'll be dammed if I'm forced to speak a foreign language in the pitiful country that I was born and pay taxes to.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:49 PM

63,001 posts, read 29,187,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Older Mexican Americans (at least the ones I know)don't like illegals, but seem afraid or reluctant to speak out about it because they remember the prejudice that they encountered when growing up. The term "*******" or "illegal" are not used as much. Instead, you might here "mojado", "mojadito" and more willingness to accept the belief that they come here for better lives. I (with other Mexican-Americans) are reversing that trend. I REFUSE to speak Spanish to them when they want to speak it. I'll be dammed if I'm forced to speak a foreign language in the pitiful country that I was born and pay taxes to.
That shouldn't stop them from expressing their disdain of illegal immigration today, IMO. Today there is no discrimination against Americans of Mexican decent. In fact quite the opposite they are usually pandered to. I think in reality they are either afraid to be called a race/ethnic traitor by their ethnocentric counterparts or deep down in side they are actually siding with them. All the polls show that the majority of Americans of Hispanic/Mexican decent support amnesty for their group here illegally. Note I said majority....not all.

Glad you have assimilated to English however I don't understand your remark of "pitiful country". Are you referring to the U.S or Mexico.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:19 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,086,875 times
Some sort of amnesty bill will pass. Within days, Chucky Schumer will make a speech about how unfair it is that these soon to be citizens can't vote now. By November 2016 they will be able to vote.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,916,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Some sort of amnesty bill will pass. Within days, Chucky Schumer will make a speech about how unfair it is that these soon to be citizens can't vote now. By November 2016 they will be able to vote.
Unless talking about SOME Dream Act people; there WON'T be any amnesty, way too many people are pissed over that now.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 PM

[quote=Oldglory;32873259]That shouldn't stop them from expressing their disdain of illegal immigration today, IMO. Today there is no discrimination against Americans of Mexican decent. In fact quite the opposite they are usually pandered to. I think in reality they are either afraid to be called a race/ethnic traitor by their ethnocentric counterparts or deep down in side they are actually siding with them. All the polls show that the majority of Americans of Hispanic/Mexican decent support amnesty for their group here illegally. Note I said majority....not all.

Glad you have assimilated to English however I don't understand your remark of "pitiful country". Are you referring to the U.S or Mexico.

Your statement is a little patronizing. Mexican Americans are definitely NOT pandered too, but the illegal and recent immigrants are. Also living in so Cal, I can understand your statement. Your statements seem to lump ALL Mexican-Americans in with the illegals who have overrun LA. Your statement aboutenglishassimilation is insulting. My ppl have been here for 5 generations. Any English assim was done a while back, you think? It's the kind of statement that would be said to a mex-American by an Anglo back in the bad ol days of the 1930s. The US has become a cesspool with givers and takers. I'm not crazy on being here since I'm ALWAYS on the giving side with all the lowlifes and breeders feeding off of me. Illegals and Wall St should just take over the country. It's not worth saving.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:52 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,665,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Does anyone else think this is coming someday?
No.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:30 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,800,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
Does anyone else think this is coming someday? The whole concept that you have to be a citizen to vote will be thrown out and basically anyone who is here will be able to vote.
Sound absurd? Maybe now, but 20 years from now I could see it happening.
People who used to be here illegally are now just "undocumented". So if illegals are not really illegal and can get in state tuition, can practice law and be a member of the bar , get drivers licenses it seems to me somewhere down the road the whole idea of being a legal citizen to be eligible to vote will be obsolete.
Considering that we don't even allow naturalized U.S. citizens to run for U.S. President right now (which is something that we should allow), I don't see non-U.S. citizens being given the right to vote, at least not anytime soon.

Old 01-05-2014, 05:24 AM

63,001 posts, read 29,187,836 times
[quote=wehotex;32877082]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
That shouldn't stop them from expressing their disdain of illegal immigration today, IMO. Today there is no discrimination against Americans of Mexican decent. In fact quite the opposite they are usually pandered to. I think in reality they are either afraid to be called a race/ethnic traitor by their ethnocentric counterparts or deep down in side they are actually siding with them. All the polls show that the majority of Americans of Hispanic/Mexican decent support amnesty for their group here illegally. Note I said majority....not all.

Your statement is a little patronizing. Mexican Americans are definitely NOT pandered too, but the illegal and recent immigrants are. Also living in so Cal, I can understand your statement. Your statements seem to lump ALL Mexican-Americans in with the illegals who have overrun LA. Your statement aboutenglishassimilation is insulting. My ppl have been here for 5 generations. Any English assim was done a while back, you think? It's the kind of statement that would be said to a mex-American by an Anglo back in the bad ol days of the 1930s. The US has become a cesspool with givers and takers. I'm not crazy on being here since I'm ALWAYS on the giving side with all the lowlifes and breeders feeding off of me. Illegals and Wall St should just take over the country. It's not worth saving.
They are all pandered to in Spanish and in hiring practices and by our politicians who want their votes. That's just a known fact. Where did I lump Mexican-Americans in with illegals? All I said is that the majority of them are supporters of illegal aliens of their ethnic group. That's also a known fact.

I commended you for choosing English over Spanish so how was that insulting?

I wouldn't call the U.S. a cesspool but we certainly do have our problems. Is Mexico better?

Old 01-05-2014, 06:56 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,916,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

Uh; in the 1930's it wasn't just SOME "Hispanic" people getting the short end of the stick. Us "Irish" were crapped on, the Jews got it, the Japanese Americans had problems, Blacks did and so on. OTOH: I think "Hispanics" like Leander Perez of Louisiana were counted as part of the "WASP" world since he was a white racist who believed in keeping "dark skin" people down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration