Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 11:57 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,737,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You are more charitable than me: I would put at least 50% of the blame on the government/business vs. the illegals.

Much as I hate the illegal immigrants being here; remove the $$$ incentive and most would self deport and the ones still SOB/Guatemala, etc. would likely stay home.

Great point, ArizonaBear!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 11:57 AM

902 posts, read 719,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Since government and big corporations are in bed together, the blame goes 100% for both. You cannot blame poverty sticken people coming here, they are desperate. It is government's responsibility to FIRST protect its citizens, and also to enforce its laws. Neither is being done, so we have a perpetual problem, no end in sight. It will take another tragedy, and maybe not even then....
Then you can't blame people for robbing places and people because most are only poor people who want to better themselves. It is just as idiotic as not makiing the illegals accept responsibility for their own criminal actions.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:23 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,653,571 times
I am very anti illegal, but there would NOT be a problem if we stepped up to the plate and didn't let them in, is a simple concept, evidently not easy to do. We messed up in 1986 allowing amnesty, and just dominoed from there. They won't stop coming if we don't erase the incentives and enforce the laws.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:24 PM

323 posts, read 742,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusisLord View Post
There is no way your going to convince a young American to do gardening work for 8 hours a day for minimum wage. I'm sorry but if you think Americans are going to fill the jobs illegals now have, your head is in the ground. I believe Americans should have whatever job they apply for, but plain and simple these jobs suck. I've done construction, it's ridiculously soar, you don't do this work unless you have no education and there's no other jobs available.
idk, my son worked for FREE for 3 years at our local greenhouse. Digging plants from the fields, repotting etc. He even helped them with the planting and harvest. He was heavy into horticulture. It was a great learning experience. And as I said he did it for nothing except the learning experience and love of how things grow.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:28 PM

635 posts, read 1,748,203 times
I'm sure your son wasn't working eight hours a day and 40 hours a week with no pay. I'm glad your son loves gardening, and if you love something you can overcome the physical demands of the job. Most people don't want to be restraunt cooks for ten hours a day, or clean a hundred hotel rooms in a day, or frame a house eight hours a day. I asked one of my Guatemalan employees at my restraunt which I'm about to sell, "how are you feeling?" He said, "Tired, man, one week feels like a month's work, it's hard bro." It's going to be very hard to convince youthful Americans to do these jobs. I'm sorry they have to compete with illegal immigrants, there trying to support themselves. Duncan Hunter said something very incorrect in the last debate, when asked the youtube question, "He said we're going to bring those jobs from China and let your young boys take them when they get back from Iraq." I'm sure Duncan, everyone's dream is to manafacture child toys.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:44 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,757,650 times
Quote:
I'm sure your son wasn't working eight hours a day and 40 hours a week with no pay. I'm glad your son loves gardening, and if you love something you can overcome the physical demands of the job. Most people don't want to be restraunt cooks for ten hours a day, or clean a hundred hotel rooms in a day, or frame a house eight hours a day. I asked one of my Guatemalan employees at my restraunt which I'm about to sell, "how are you feeling?" He said, "Tired, man, one week feels like a month's work, it's hard bro." It's going to be very hard to convince youthful Americans to do these jobs. I'm sorry they have to compete with illegal immigrants, there trying to support themselves. Duncan Hunter said something very incorrect in the last debate, when asked the youtube question, "He said we're going to bring those jobs from China and let your young boys take them when they get back from Iraq." I'm sure Duncan, everyone's dream is to manafacture child toys.

I've done the yardwork--had my own business with my brother from the time we were fifteen until we were twenty. Back breaking work five to seven days a week, ten sometimes twelve hours a day. Made me a better woman. I've cooked in restaurants, I've washed dishes in restaurants, I've cleaned tables and waited on tables, I've done construction clean-up (there's some hard work) I've worked as a maid in a hotel cleaning up other folk's messes. All before I was 25. I am not an anomaly. I am the norm. I'm watching those kids you say won't do those jobs do them now in the community I live in. Teenage kids are doing yardwork, many of them are working in restaurants, and several of the guys I go to school with are working for the construction crews on campus. As a matter of fact, there is a lot of construction going on in this town right now and guess what? All American crews. What do you know, Americans CAN and WILL do the jobs illegal sympathizers say they won't do. I'm lucky to live in a part of the U.S. where illegal aliens haven't gotten a foothold in the economy.

Get it straight.

There are no jobs Americans will not do. There are many jobs Americans will not do for slave wages.

The fact that you continue to speak of these particular jobs as jobs Americans will not do just shows the rest of us that you have no problem with, and in fact endorse, the enslavement of an entire geopolitical group of people.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:49 PM

I'm sure you were paid well in those jobs back then Kele, today it's tough to live off minimum. These Americans probably do the construction work or restraunt vacancies because obviously isn't any illegals in your town because your a California transplant with anger over illegal immigration. Those American workers don't have their wages depressed, because their probably the only construction or restraunt workers available. As you said, your lucky to live a place where illegal aliens haven't gotten a foothold.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:57 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,757,650 times
Quote:
I'm sure you were paid well in those jobs back then Kele, today it's tough to live off minimum. These Americans probably do the construction work or restraunt vacancies because obviously isn't any illegals in your town because your a California transplant with anger over illegal immigration. Those American workers don't have their wages depressed, because their probably the only construction or restraunt workers available. As you said, your lucky to live a place where illegal aliens haven't gotten a foothold.
You've just proven my point.

Americans are perfectly willing to do all of those jobs you mentioned. They just won't do them for slave wages. If illegal immigration were not a factor, then wages would not be depressed.

Am I angry over illegal immigration? D*mn skippy I am. I watched my own livelihood be slowly taken over by illegal immigrants as people, like me, who had honed their craft all of their lives were shoved out of the industry in favor of cheap labor and even cheaper products. My story is the story of middle class America.

If you think that's okay, then I really don't have much more to say to you as it would obviously go nowhere.

Old 11-30-2007, 04:24 PM

49 posts, read 118,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkonian View Post
You people are truly obsessed with "illegals" which is rather sad. I lived in America and I know the score there. Many of them do the jobs that many of you simply do not want to do and trust me, in all of my time there, I never saw a bunch of Anglo-Americans standing in line for a gardening job.

Don't sit back and blame the immigrants themselves for doing something that your ancestors before you did when they came over from Europe, i.e. searching for a better life. If anything, blame your government for not implementing tougher border controls, but don't blame the people themselves. They are not evil, they are not users; they're human beings, just like you and I. The way I see it is that they're in your country and most of them are not going anywhere, so deal with it and learn to tolerate and accept.

The only *true* natives in your country are the American Indians. They are the ones who should be whining about "illegals"....illegal Europeans!
Corkonian: You must not have to live around all the illegals we have in charlotte, nc.

I never thought twice about the Mexican population until I moved here to Charlotte. Now, I SEE IT, every day. Very Rude and disrespectful people here, especially the Mexican population. And yes, I do point them out because I know spanish and I hear the stuff they say and do to us. I will be moving from Charlotte because of this, they really let this get out of control. I am now looking for anti-immigration groups to join. I have had it with these people.
I am old enough to have lived in Miami Fla when all the Cuban people came. Now they are very nice respectful people who follow laws and rules, and learn to speak english and becaome a citizen the right way. They were never rude and mean like these people here.

POWER TO THE AMERICAN CITIZEN WHO SHALL RISE TO END THIS.......................I see a civil war or revolution to come.

Last edited by frosty704; 11-30-2007 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-30-2007, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
You've just proven my point.

Americans are perfectly willing to do all of those jobs you mentioned. They just won't do them for slave wages. If illegal immigration were not a factor, then wages would not be depressed.
I did prove your point, if illegal immigrants weren't in this country. Since they are, Americans will not work for depressed wages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration