Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 12:55 PM

63,447 posts, read 29,458,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I love that this is a Democrat issue when it was your boy Republican Reagan that used the same solution to this problem.

He also did nothing to protect the border or stop the inflow of illegal immigrants.

here come the excuses....."Reagan said it was a mistake"...but he said verbatim:

Earth To Conservatives: Immigrant Amnesty Is A Conservative Policy - Forbes
There were only 3 million illegal aliens that were granted amnesty through Reagan and our economy wasn't in the toilet as it is today. He thought only 300,000 would step forward but it was much more. Yes, Reagan did regret it because the Democrat controlled congress didn't follow through on their promise to secure the border. There are at least quadruple the number of illegal aliens here today. It was a mistake back then and an even bigger mistake today.

Why would Reagan be impeached? He did it with the approval of congress unlike Obama who is bypassing congress and threatening to do it on his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 01:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,737,596 times
Quote:
Did we impeach Reagan? No.

He set the precedent... amnesty is a conservative policy.
You need to go back and read your history book.

Reagan did not "grant amnesty" via an EO did he ?

The Simpson-Mazzoli Act was an Act of Congress signed by Reagan.
Mazzoli was a Dem and Simpson was a Repub.
Republicans had the Senate while Democrats had the House.
The bill was bipartisan.

Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-26-2014, 01:30 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,198,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb73 View Post
I see this totally differently. I don't think he cares about the illegals at all. But if he does some broad over-reaching Executive Order and angers enough Republicans, the talk of impeachment might grow.

Then the Democratic Party can start their "see, the Republicans are racist" right in time for the November mid-terms and hope to get a sweeping Democratic victory.

It's not about the people. It's just about (yet another) election.
of course he doesn't really care, anymore than he gives a darn about a Marine Vet stuck in a Mexican jail. I don't think it will hurt the Republicans in November because so many people are upset about the latest situation...I also am not sure if he can use executive order in this case. I am anything but an attorney, it just doesn't seem like it can be done. Who knows? I have never wanted to see a President out of office as badly as I want to see him gone. I hope he enjoys his retirement!!!

Michelle can push jumping jacks for elementary kids, while they are eating alfalfa sprouts and drinking a gallon of water a day and he can head up an affirmative action group pushing for more basketball courts in the inner cities.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:36 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,198,488 times
Quote:
I love that this is a Democrat issue when it was your boy Republican Reagan that used the same solution to this problem.

He also did nothing to protect the border or stop the inflow of illegal immigrants.

here come the excuses....."Reagan said it was a mistake"...but he said verbatim:

Earth To Conservatives: Immigrant Amnesty Is A Conservative Policy - Forbes
I wonder how much you remember about the Reagan signing the bill. Yes, he did admit it was a mistake, no he didn't use executive order and he did it once, to help those fleeing El Salvador. Unfortunately more than just the El Salvadorians but others also were given a free pass. End of story. What Reagan did and this are 2 totally different things. And yes, it was a mistake, why repeat, regardless of what party you belong to...

Old 07-26-2014, 01:58 PM

9,962 posts, read 18,552,491 times
Still a fact that cannot be denied. A conservative policy!

It's funny how this is such a fact based forum until the facts go against your agenda then it becomes an excuse based forum.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
of course he doesn't really care, anymore than he gives a darn about a Marine Vet stuck in a Mexican jail. I don't think it will hurt the Republicans in November because so many people are upset about the latest situation...I also am not sure if he can use executive order in this case. I am anything but an attorney, it just doesn't seem like it can be done. Who knows? I have never wanted to see a President out of office as badly as I want to see him gone. I hope he enjoys his retirement!!!

Michelle can push jumping jacks for elementary kids, while they are eating alfalfa sprouts and drinking a gallon of water a day and he can head up an affirmative action group pushing for more basketball courts in the inner cities.
Unless they are all declared refugees seeking asylum.
That is covered by the State Department.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:10 PM

22,580 posts, read 12,144,435 times
Quote:

It's funny how this is such a fact based forum until the facts go against your agenda then it becomes an excuse based forum.
"A conservative policy"? Wow! You are really reaching here. Don't you get it? Both parties are complicit in the amnesty fiasco.

What is sad is that today's democrats are NOT my grandfather's democrats. Democrats of yore truly looked out for the poor, working and middle class Americans. Those democrats of yore would have been horrified to discover that their constituents were either seeing their wages depressed or were being displaced in the work force due to illegal immigration. And those democrats of yore would have done something about this---and I don't mean amnesty either.

Sadly, today's democrats put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed Americans.

At one time, democrats were very concerned about the consequences of overpopulation. Many liberals were so concerned that they chose not to have children. Today's democrats don't give a dang about the environment or overpopulation.

I was once a staunch democrat. When I realized that democrats did a complete 180, they lost me as a supporter. I'm now an independent who never votes the straight party line, and I have no problems voting third party.

As I said---neither party is looking out for Americans. Democrats are hoping that low information voters don't catch on to the fact that dems no longer care about Americans. That's a shame because at one time I expected much, much better from democrats.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:17 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,443,796 times
Quote:

If you stated it was a conservative policy of 30 years ago or it's Republican policy (not a conservative policy), then you would be accurate.

Old 07-26-2014, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
If you stated it was a conservative policy of 30 years ago or it's Republican policy (not a conservative policy), then you would be accurate.
I posted a link to the bill.
It was bipartisan.

Authored by a Dem and a Repub
House was majority Dem and Senate was majority Repub

Old 07-26-2014, 02:20 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,962,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
"A conservative policy"? Wow! You are really reaching here. Don't you get it? Both parties are complicit in the amnesty fiasco.

What is sad is that today's democrats are NOT my grandfather's democrats. Democrats of yore truly looked out for the poor, working and middle class Americans. Those democrats of yore would have been horrified to discover that their constituents were either seeing their wages depressed or were being displaced in the work force due to illegal immigration. And those democrats of yore would have done something about this---and I don't mean amnesty either.

Sadly, today's democrats put illegal aliens ahead of the millions of suffering underemployed and unemployed Americans.

At one time, democrats were very concerned about the consequences of overpopulation. Many liberals were so concerned that they chose not to have children. Today's democrats don't give a dang about the environment or overpopulation.

I was once a staunch democrat. When I realized that democrats did a complete 180, they lost me as a supporter. I'm now an independent who never votes the straight party line, and I have no problems voting third party.

As I said---neither party is looking out for Americans. Democrats are hoping that low information voters don't catch on to the fact that dems no longer care about Americans. That's a shame because at one time I expected much, much better from democrats.
On a few occasions, concerns that undocumented migrant labor would undermine UFW strike campaigns led to a number of controversial events, which the UFW describes as anti-strikebreaking events, but which have also been interpreted as being anti-immigrant. In 1969, Chavez and members of the UFW marched through the Imperial and Coachella Valleys to the border of Mexico to protest growers' use of undocumented immigrants as strikebreakers. Joining him on the march were Reverend Ralph Abernathy and U.S. Senator Walter Mondale.[25] In its early years, the UFW and Chavez went so far as to report undocumented immigrants who served as strikebreaking replacement workers (as well as those who refused to unionize) to the Immigration and Naturalization Service.[26][27][28][29][30]

Cesar Chavez - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Agreed and word was Cesar Chavez AND Ralph Abernathy were down by the Mexican border about 50 years ago SUPPORTING tighter controls against illegal aliens!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration