Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:57 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,198,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket View Post
It is. THAT bozo was a disgrace to the office. Of course the Dems did nothing either and are now trying to take advantage. Let's be fair here.
Am I reading your correctly? Are you saying Reagan was a disgrace to the office? Tell that to people throughout the world. Were you even around when he was in office and do you have any idea how much he was respected by world leaders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 12:05 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,198,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It's not stupid logic, immigration hasn't changed in 30 years. The GOP refuses to work with Obama...the "do nothing" Republicans strike again unlike the Dems with Reagan.

Obama has no other alternative but to act alone and re-implement the Reagan policy.
boy, you are doing everything you can to spin your first statement.. I guess you have decided you can't win the original argument so now it is the Republicans fault for not working with the President so he has to take matters in his own hands? If you remember right, a very good, workable plan was put forth by a by-patrician committee. It got lost somewhere along the way; was it all because of the GOP house, the Democrat Senate, the President or a combination of the above? And I might add, it was Reagan that was willing to work with the congress, not them working with him? Don't you find it strange Reagan and Clinton both could work with the other side, but Obama can not?

Old 07-27-2014, 01:52 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,057,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Well...I, for one, am glad that the republicans are refusing to work with Obama when it comes to amnesty for illegals.

Did you know that when GW Bush, a republican in case you didn't know, pushed for amnesty, the switchboard on Capitol Hill, along with the fax machines crashed? That happened because people were letting them all know loudly and clearly that they didn't want amnesty for illegals.

As for republicans being "do nothing" --- Harry Reid has continually refused to bring house bills up for a vote in the senate.

Haven't you figured it out yet? Neither party is composed of saints.
Let them run out of funding and be forced to send all of those illegals back to where they came from.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:26 PM

22,580 posts, read 12,144,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Let them run out of funding and be forced to send all of those illegals back to where they came from.
Sounds good to me!

Old 07-27-2014, 02:36 PM

9,962 posts, read 18,552,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Well...I, for one, am glad that the republicans are refusing to work with Obama when it comes to amnesty for illegals.

Did you know that when GW Bush, a republican in case you didn't know, pushed for amnesty, the switchboard on Capitol Hill, along with the fax machines crashed? That happened because people were letting them all know loudly and clearly that they didn't want amnesty for illegals.

As for republicans being "do nothing" --- Harry Reid has continually refused to bring house bills up for a vote in the senate.

Haven't you figured it out yet? Neither party is composed of saints.
Yet this forum wants impeach Obama? There will be nothing of the sort. At least he is doing something that has already been set by precedent with Reagan.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:48 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,057,828 times
Quote:
Yet this forum wants impeach Obama? There will be nothing of the sort. At least he is doing something that has already been set by precedent with Reagan.
Reagan (for all of his faults) at least had frequent cocktails with Tip O'Neill so they could get things done with the congress' help. Obama doesn't even reach out to his OWN party for support in the way that LBJ or Clinton did. Obama is a failure who relies exclusively on Executive Order.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:55 PM

7,458 posts, read 7,064,069 times
Quote:
It's not stupid logic, immigration hasn't changed in 30 years. The GOP refuses to work with Obama...the "do nothing" Republicans strike again unlike the Dems with Reagan.

Obama has no other alternative but to act alone and re-implement the Reagan policy.
You don't work with Obama - it's his way or nothing. Remember healthcare reform - he mocked republicans - and said elections have consequences.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:06 PM

7,458 posts, read 7,064,069 times
Quote:
That's because Congress has no intentions AT ALL to deal with this...ever. ESPECIALLY under Obama!
Obama has made it worse with his 2012 dream act executive order and getting the world out in central america that if they come they can stay - this is why the numbers we've seen this year are unprecedented. So I could agree that Republican presidents haven't been very good on stemming illegal immigration it is now much worse under Obama - on purpose.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:08 PM

577 posts, read 903,307 times
Am I the only one who doesn't think this is purely about creating a new democratic voting bloc? Hispanics are apathetic voters with lower turnout than any group. They are also not reliably democratic, not at the level of blacks anyway. So the question still remains for me... who wants them here? Sometimes I wonder is it the catholic church? In my area the only reason the catholic church still is strong is due to hispanic immigrants. Most (but not all) of the traditionally italian/ irish churches are empty. A few catholic schools in my area have become completely black (hatian immigrants) and hispanic.

Old 07-27-2014, 03:50 PM

9,962 posts, read 18,552,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
boy, you are doing everything you can to spin your first statement.. I guess you have decided you can't win the original argument so now it is the Republicans fault for not working with the President so he has to take matters in his own hands? If you remember right, a very good, workable plan was put forth by a by-patrician committee. It got lost somewhere along the way; was it all because of the GOP house, the Democrat Senate, the President or a combination of the above? And I might add, it was Reagan that was willing to work with the congress, not them working with him? Don't you find it strange Reagan and Clinton both could work with the other side, but Obama can not?
Yes! I do find it strange... how can it be?

I think we have a GOP that simply won't do anything with Obama. They have basically worked the first 4 years to prolong things to the 2012 election and now they are prolonging things until he is out of office.

House GOP backer of immigration reform throws in towel – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs

It is the GOP that won't even listen to their own party.

Quote:
"Today I was informed by the Republican leadership that they have no intention to bring this bill to the floor this year. It is disappointing and highly unfortunate, because we have a unique opportunity to secure the borders, fix our broken immigration system, and strengthen our economy," Diaz-Balart said at a press conference at the Capitol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration