Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:42 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,434,890 times

Advertisements

According to most here we will not be viable for POTUS anyway so let's just do the right thing. Who knows with 2018 being even more harsh than 2-14 for the dem Senate, maybe doing the right thing will score us a supermajority.

Old 11-18-2014, 05:39 AM

89,501 posts, read 45,170,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
According to most here we will not be viable for POTUS anyway so let's just do the right thing. Who knows with 2018 being even more harsh than 2-14 for the dem Senate, maybe doing the right thing will score us a supermajority.
seems amnesty is just not that important an issue to Hispanic voters. They prioritize other issues.
https://www.numbersusa.com/blog/pew-...ns-immigration

Old 11-18-2014, 06:15 AM

63,300 posts, read 29,383,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
seems amnesty is just not that important an issue to Hispanic voters. They prioritize other issues.
https://www.numbersusa.com/blog/pew-...ns-immigration
I wish that were true but the polls I have seen indicate the opposite. Cuban and Puerto Rican-Americans may not care about it but for those who have ties to Mexico and other Latino countries it's a different story. Think of all the marches, advocacy groups and the Latino congressmen pushing for amnesty. It's pretty much undeniable what they want.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I wish that were true but the polls I have seen indicate the opposite. Cuban and Puerto Rican-Americans may not care about it but for those who have ties to Mexico and other Latino countries it's a different story. Think of all the marches, advocacy groups and the Latino congressmen pushing for amnesty. It's pretty much undeniable what they want.
Hispanic voters are FAR more concerned with the economy than they are with immigration issues.
Quote:
"Hispanics rank the economy as most important and put immigration much further down the list. Pew observes, “About half (49%) of Latino voters called [the economy] the most important issue facing the country, according to the national exit poll. Health care (24%) and illegal immigration (16%) followed."
GOP already winning more Hispanics - The Washington Post

If Obama enables work permits for millions of illegals, that will negatively impact the economy of the Hispanic community. Believe me, they'll know who took their jobs, undercut their pay, and who let that happen.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Hispanic voters are FAR more concerned with the economy than they are with immigration issues.
GOP already winning more Hispanics - The Washington Post

If Obama enables work permits for millions of illegals, that will negatively impact the economy of the Hispanic community. Believe me, they'll know who took their jobs, undercut their pay, and who let that happen.
Here's a link for you. I have others also.

New Poll Reveals Immigration Top Issue Driving Latino Voting - Immigration Reform | America's Voice

I don't think the ethnocentric type of Hispanic-American is really considering the loss of jobs to their communities via illegal immigration. Many of them have relatives and friends here illegally. That is their primary concern. There is a faction of the Hispanic community that is of the Reconquista mindset also so they have a long term goal in mind via illegal immigration.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Here's a link for you.
That's from 2011. Things are changing. The Pew Research's exit poll I quoted was from the 2014 midterms.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
That's from 2011. Things are changing. The Pew Research's exit poll I quoted was from the 2014 midterms.
Is the Latino vote up for grabs? Stanford pollster says no

Latino groups to Obama: You owe Latinos the election, now pass immigration reform

LD Tracking Poll — Latino Voters Overwhelmingly Support DREAM Act | Latino Decisions

These polls are not that old and I seriously doubt that things have changed much. Note how the Hispanics in congress keep pushing for amnesty? Do you not think that they are reflecting the views of their Hispanic constituents?

Old 11-18-2014, 08:21 AM

Quote:
These polls are not that old and I seriously doubt that things have changed much.
They're all 2 years old, or older. The U.S. electorate went from electing Obama in 2012 to sweeping Dems out of Congress in 2014. Things are changing. Hispanic citizens feel their jobs and/or pay are threatened by millions of illegal immigrants being given work permits. Can you blame them?

Old 11-18-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
They're all 2 years old, or older. The U.S. electorate went from electing Obama in 2012 to sweeping Dems out of Congress in 2014. Things are changing. Hispanic citizens feel their jobs and/or pay are threatened by millions of illegal immigrants being given work permits. Can you blame them?
We will have to just agree to disagree then. Hispanics haven't changed their views that much in 2 years. I also provided proof from the Hispanic congressmen that are pushing amnesty. If Hispanics have changed their views on illegal immigration and amnesty don't you think they would be reflecting their constituents views now? There are still numerous Hispanic advocacy groups demanding amnesty also. Some cultures are very tribal and it trumps common sense. Just sayin.

Old 11-18-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
We will have to just agree to disagree then. Hispanics haven't changed their views that much in 2 years. I also provided proof from the Hispanic congressmen that are pushing amnesty. If Hispanics have changed their views on illegal immigration and amnesty don't you think they would be reflecting their constituents views now? There are still numerous Hispanic advocacy groups demanding amnesty also. Some cultures are very tribal and it trumps common sense. Just sayin.
Well, sure. I didn't say it was a complete shift. I just said things are changing.

IMHO, this is a really bad time for Obama to give millions of illegals work permits. We still have 2 years until the 2016 presidential election, so there's enough time for those millions of newly minted legal workers to decimate the job market and wages for the citizen Hispanics. If that's what they really want, let them stew in their own economic demise for two years. Maybe they'll rethink their voting preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration