Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 09:12 AM

63,414 posts, read 29,437,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well, sure. I didn't say it was a complete shift. I just said things are changing.

IMHO, this is a really bad time for Obama to give millions of illegals work permits. We still have 2 years until the 2016 presidential election, so there's enough time for those millions of newly minted legal workers to decimate the job market and wages for the citizen Hispanics. If that's what they really want, let them stew in their own economic demise for two years. Maybe they'll rethink their voting preferences.
If they are changing they are doing it very slowly and I doubt that it will ever be a complete or even majority shift. Certainly their politicians aren't shifting away from their positions and remindiing Hispanics that illegals are taking their jobs. I agree with the rest of your post, however. I don't think that legal Hispanic workers are as much in jeopardy of losing their jobs as whites and blacks are though. They speak Spanish and can communicate with the illegal ones on the job. I've seen this in the construction industry where the leads are Hispanic-Americans. Remember also, that some cultures live several generations in a household and this isn't just something illegal aliens do. They can afford to work for less with more total income in the household. Family is everything in some cultures even if it means protecting them from the law.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:17 AM

31,359 posts, read 22,335,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
The Hispanic voting bloc amounts to 10% of all voters. Not all of them support amnesty.

Even if every Hispanic illegal got amnestied tomorrow, they still won't be able to vote. Plus, among the citizens, like any group, many don't register to vote or even care about voting. Then there are the convicted felons.

Once again, I find it insulting to have politicians---on either side of the aisle---think that in order to get my vote they have to promise to reward lawbreakers. I will vote for any politician who is against amnesty.

Not all Hispanics vote for democrats. So please stop with the stereotyping already.
I'm sure the #'s are inflated anyway. Most people who have a history of 'legal' immigration, including most in my family, are not supporters of amnesty for Illegal aliens whether they be from south of the border, Somalia, the Ukraine or elsewhere. Having uncontrolled groups of people wandering your country breaking the laws is no way to enhance the population.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:23 AM

89,596 posts, read 45,236,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If they are changing they are doing it very slowly and I doubt that it will ever be a complete or even majority shift. Certainly their politicians aren't shifting away from their positions and remindiing Hispanics that illegals are taking their jobs. I agree with the rest of your post, however. I don't think that legal Hispanic workers are as much in jeopardy of losing their jobs as whites and blacks are though.
Blacks, yes. Whites, not so much. Whites who routinely work with Hispanics speak Spanish. I know both of my adult kids do, and they rarely work with Hispanics just because of the nature of their jobs (Engineering, Software Development).
Quote:
They speak Spanish and can communicate with the illegal ones on the job. I've seen this in the construction industry where the leads are Hispanic-Americans.
Isn't construction kind of in a lull, though? Stagnant economy, and all? Aren't most of the gains in jobs in other low-skill service sectors?
Quote:
Remember also, that some cultures live several generations in a household and this isn't just something illegal aliens do. They can afford to work for less with more total income in the household. Family is everything to some cultures even if it means protecting them from the law.
Well, then they just have to pile more in the household and embrace the suck.

Funny story about my adult kids speaking Spanish, though... My in-laws were absolutely appalled that I advised them to take Spanish in school, rather than French which they thought was much more refined. Yeah, French... as if that were ever going to be a useful skill in the real world.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
I'm sure the #'s are inflated anyway. Most people who have a history of 'legal' immigration, including most in my family, are not supporters of amnesty for Illegal aliens whether they be from south of the border, Somalia, the Ukraine or elsewhere. Having uncontrolled groups of people wandering your country breaking the laws is no way to enhance the population.
Excellent points!

Old 11-18-2014, 11:51 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,225,508 times
It's totally nutty to equate people answering yes to a poll question about ambigous "immigration reform" to people supporting an executive action giving away work permits to 5 million people, its crazy that he cant see how this is going to backfire.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
It's totally nutty to equate people answering yes to a poll question about ambigous "immigration reform" to people supporting an executive action giving away work permits to 5 million people, its crazy that he cant see how this is going to backfire.
I would have to agree.

Old 11-18-2014, 12:25 PM

63,414 posts, read 29,437,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Blacks, yes. Whites, not so much. Whites who routinely work with Hispanics speak Spanish. I know both of my adult kids do, and they rarely work with Hispanics just because of the nature of their jobs (Engineering, Software Development). Isn't construction kind of in a lull, though? Stagnant economy, and all? Aren't most of the gains in jobs in other low-skill service sectors?
Well, then they just have to pile more in the household and embrace the suck.

Funny story about my adult kids speaking Spanish, though... My in-laws were absolutely appalled that I advised them to take Spanish in school, rather than French which they thought was much more refined. Yeah, French... as if that were ever going to be a useful skill in the real world.
It was mostly whites that were displaced in the construction industry by illegal aliens and they weren't Spanish speakers. Illegal aliens flooded that industry well before the stagnant economy.

Most Hispanic-Americans know how to speak English so we have our common language to communicate with them in. It is only because businesses and government are pandering to illegal alien Spanish speakers that Spanish has become essential to hold many jobs in this country. Sorry, but we are an English speaking country and Americans shouldn't have to learn Spanish based on the above to hold down a job in their own country.

Old 11-18-2014, 01:33 PM

20,523 posts, read 15,960,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If they are changing they are doing it very slowly and I doubt that it will ever be a complete or even majority shift. Certainly their politicians aren't shifting away from their positions and remindiing Hispanics that illegals are taking their jobs. I agree with the rest of your post, however. I don't think that legal Hispanic workers are as much in jeopardy of losing their jobs as whites and blacks are though. They speak Spanish and can communicate with the illegal ones on the job. I've seen this in the construction industry where the leads are Hispanic-Americans. Remember also, that some cultures live several generations in a household and this isn't just something illegal aliens do. They can afford to work for less with more total income in the household. Family is everything in some cultures even if it means protecting them from the law.
Uh: I'd agree but many Hispanic people over about 40 whose parents were born in the US don't speak Spanish or if they do, it's real bad.

Old 11-18-2014, 04:15 PM

12,966 posts, read 13,757,430 times
Why is it Republicans hate it when the President thinks he is a Republican and does something only Republican presidents have gotten away with?

Old 11-18-2014, 04:22 PM

31,359 posts, read 22,335,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Why is it Republicans hate it when the President thinks he is a Republican and does something only Republican presidents have gotten away with?
I think Obama may be a Republican. If he passes anything that looks like blanket Amnesty we won't have a democrat majority in any branch of the government for a decade.

I don't view this as a good thing since we always do best when the government doesn't pass any new laws, as we always end up paying the tab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration