Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2016, 12:07 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,970,760 times

Advertisements

Your friend is breaking the law and stealing, as others have pointed out, because "he just can't find good help."

The "I can't find good help" excuse is just that--an excuse. He just doesn't want to. Look at the article below and see the ways employers go out of their way and the tactics they employ to not comply with the law.

Probably your friend would not make a profit in his business if he ran it legally and, as such, runs it illegally. We are in a state where illegal immigration is extremely high, and we manage to find good employees, some of whom have been with us for many years.

Here's some solutions, although he won't be able to pay under the table. He will, though, find good employees:

(1) Has your friend ever considered hiring vets. See the links below to help him with that.

(2) State work release programs have provided us with good employees. They never abuse alcohol or drugs, they need the job since they have are having to pay the state for their room and board, and they really don't want to get fired. They have certain hours they can work though, and he can't pay under the table for these employees either.

We have been in the construction trade industry for many years, running a small business. We work to educate homeowners that they need to get proof of liability and workers' comp insurance on anyone working or around their homes. In our state, if an uninsured employee is hurt on the job, he wont' go after the employer--he'll go after the homeowner for getting hurt on their property.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicagarri...red#.ixYzyPL07

Hire a Veteran: Tips, Benefits and Taxes - CareerOneStop

https://www.hireheroesusa.org/

Finally, if your friend is too small to get workers' comp insurance, which is the case in our state for a lot of employers, they can go to a PEO (professional employer organization) solution, which is employee leasing. It is a great solution in that all employees are covered by the PEO company's workers' comp, it is a little less sometimes because it is a pool, taxes and WC are paid when the employees are paid, the PEO company is responsible for the payroll returns, HR management.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2016, 12:09 PM

25,978 posts, read 22,169,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
Since he can't find good help what would his alternative be?
You raise the wages or benefits until you attract workers. If you can't do that and survive, you go out of business. Once we eliminate the illegal labor, this won't be a problem because the work will have to be done so wages will go up and yes, it might cost more but the savings of eliminating the financial burden of the illegals will be worth it.

Quote:
According to this business owner paying on average $150 cash per day. I wouldn't call that starvation wages.
No, they won't starve on that since we are supporting their kids and providing emergency medical care for free at 3 times the rate of a US paying citizen.

Quote:
Again i'm not endorsing illegal immigration. However if business owners can't find good help. What are they supposed to do...go out of business?
That is what happens when you can't compete. When no one hires illegals, the problem will be taken care of.

Quote:
I do not know what the situation is like in North Carolina but here in Massachusetts illegals learn real quick. As matter of fact my uncle a remodeling contractor would always hire illegals from Brazil for painting jobs. Not anymore complaining they've become ridiculously expensive charging a $100 a stroke "kidding" but you get the idea. So the argument that illegals are driving down wages is not accurate statement here in massachusetts that is..For other parts of the country i wouldn't know.
They learn real quick how to milk the public assistance teat. We end up supplementing the wages not paid by their employer. When they get hurt and go to the emergency room, we pay the bill. And, you know what, it is the same as stealing from the American people. If I don't have enough to feed my family tonight, would it be a problem if I just helped myself to your cupboards and took whatever I needed? Surely, you don't expect us to go hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Capitalism works this way.
This has nothing to do with "capitalism", this has to do with employers breaking immigration law in order to put more in their pockets. It is against the law to hire illegal aliens. That is ALL that matters in this case. Deport the illegals and lock up the employer and we'll start making progress with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
How does Capitalism figure into the equation when their children are being supported by legit tax payers though? It might be Capitalism, but it's a definite perversion of the model.
Quote:
I find it interesting the same people that constantly complain about not making a living wage. Are the same people that If you showed up at their door step to do some work. Would scream and complain that we're too expensive. I guess business owners are not allowed to make a living.
It's fixed when no one hires illegals. They are stealing from the US citizens and breaking the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
The seedy side of illegal immigration is that they really don't care about the illegal immigrant workers. You can tell us how much they pay, but if the worker is hurt; he or she is out of the door and on the taxpayer's footsteps. The employers have no fear of law suits, strikes, they don't follow environmental regulations, they don't worry about OSHA. If any one of these workers questions their pay or conditions; they are simply replaced - no questions asked. The employers do not even have to worry about sexual harassment charges - they have the best of all world and, yes, they have the money. But that does not mean that it is right or legal. I just wished that we would lock up these employers for many, many years!
Exactly. Criminals on the job working for a criminal, "birds of a feather"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
In both cases, materials bought = US jobs. Materials not bought = NO US jobs.
I don't get your point. When no one hires illegals, then there will be fair competition. Quite frankly, the employers are breaking the law, that's the bottom line.

So, it is OK to commit a crime in order to keep yourself from going out of business? Has anyone else not heard that before. I actually knew a couple that had a business that wasn't doing well and to keep going, they didn't pay their income tax. I can assure you that when very wrong. No one said "Well, we understand that if you had paid your taxes that your business would have went under."

Low-paid illegal work force has little impact on prices | The Seattle Times
https://www.numbersusa.org/pages/jobs-americans-wont-do

People hiring illegals are breaking the law. This is the way it is supposed to work: Reducing Illegal Immigration Through Employment Verification,Enforcement, and Protection and Restaurant Owner Fined $400,000 For Employing Undocumented Workers | KPBS and Businesses Busted For Hiring Illegal Workers | Angies List and Former Twin Peaks owner pleads guilty to hiring illegal workers | The Wichita Eagle

https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Re...anUse-533.aspx

Old 01-03-2016, 01:18 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,921,704 times
Quote:
According to this business owner paying on average $150 cash per day. I wouldn't call that starvation wages.
Agreed. That's almost 20 dollars an HOUR.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
It is called capitalism!
Hiring ANY illegal alien is a CRIME in EVERY country of the world. Period!

Old 01-03-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" but I sure as hell know there are people in their 30's, 40's, and beyond who DO,"

I have a friend who owns a very large electrical contracting company who would DISAGREE with your claim.

He has a VERY HARD time people of ANY AGE who are willing to "learn" a trade.
To be fair: look at the wages compared to the cost of living in an area.

Old 01-03-2016, 02:53 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,892,093 times
When greedy employers claim they can't find good help, that is code for "I like illegals because they work cheap, long hours and can't complain or do anything about it."
Who do contractors hire where there aren't a lot of illegals? Are there no contractors?

Old 01-03-2016, 03:19 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,859,455 times
Contractors don't care as long as they are safely ensconced (is that a word?!) in their multi million dollar McMansions and their privileged spawn are out drinking themselves into oblivion in 50,000 dollar a year colleges and universities for worthless degrees. At some point this is going to come back and bite them in the asses. But in the meantime, wtf? We have young men going to prison for stupid **** JUST BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE JOBS for them.. But we COULD have jobs for them. But yeah, cheap labor. F this system.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:24 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,859,455 times
Young women too. Sorry, got a little caught up thinking more about the construction trade, but so many other trades are involved too.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Contractors don't care as long as they are safely ensconced (is that a word?!) in their multi million dollar McMansions and their privileged spawn are out drinking themselves into oblivion in 50,000 dollar a year colleges and universities for worthless degrees. At some point this is going to come back and bite them in the asses. But in the meantime, wtf? We have young men going to prison for stupid **** JUST BECAUSE WE DO NOT HAVE JOBS for them.. But we COULD have jobs for them. But yeah, cheap labor. F this system.
Quote:
Young women too. Sorry, got a little caught up thinking more about the construction trade, but so many other trades are involved too.
Agreed and how. Too; many people 50 on up are also having a bad time of it finding work.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:48 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,277,561 times
DUDE .. Its the Conservative (sic) Right /wing nuts that want and allow more illegals.. Its cheap labor for their businesses.. Obama had deported more illegals in 6.5 years the GW Bush The WAR GOD deported in 8 years .. Turn Off Faux News buddy.. as for ACA AGAIN learn to read.. and TURNOFF FAUX News! I went back and read a bunch of your previous post... you definitely need to chill and TURN OFF FAUX NEWS and Read something beside KKK Blogs ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
The progressives have double-teamed this:

1. Raise the cost of doing business by demanding that American grass cutters and other laborers buy pricy, comprehensive health insurance that includes maternity care:
_"Obamacare 101: Why do men need to buy maternity coverage?"_
http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/DC-Decoder/2013/1118/Obamacare-101-Why-do-men-need-to-buy-maternity-coverage

2. Simultaneously destroy their wages by importing 400,000 new landscaping, entertainment, restaurant, lodging, ranching laborers per year from outside the borders.

And the leftists go, "Yep."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration