Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 12:54 AM

6,977 posts, read 5,721,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Sorry, a wall won't do anything. It's a waste of tax payers money.
You don't know how tax dollars work, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2016, 06:35 AM

63,040 posts, read 29,243,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Yes, I did read it. The thing is also Texas borders are much different than that of California, Arizona and New Mexico. Illegals can swim and hide along the vegetation better since half of the Texas border is lush year round in which makes patrolling along the lower Rio Grande river a difficult task. As for cutting off benefits and ending sanctuary cities (in which I'm excited about) will slow illegal immigration, but will not become 100% effective.

So, unless something is 100% effective we shouldn't pursue it?

Old 11-20-2016, 06:41 AM

63,040 posts, read 29,243,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
You guys are so funny about building a wall. First of all, Mexico is not going to pay for it. And I don't want my tax dollars going to it either. Trumps mass deportation would cost billions. Who do you think is going to pay for that. If you want to fine, I don't.

Once again, there are ways to make Mexico help pay for it. We are already having to fork over $113 billion a year for illegal aliens and those costs will just continue to rise unless we secure our border, thus the wall. There is no need for mass deportations just remove all of the incentives for them to remain here and many will self-deport. For the rest just enforce the laws on the books as they are detected. Doesn't matter what you want the people have spoken and most of us will happily pay for the security of our border. How can you put a price tag on that? It's necessary for our survival.

Did you not read the links I provided on how those walls are already working?

Old 11-20-2016, 07:49 AM

24,446 posts, read 23,121,323 times
Locally two illegals from The Dominican republic were arrested with a million dollars of heroin on them. I think the sanctuary cities should spring to pay for their legal fees and court costs and incarceration until their trial and deportation or prison sentence is determined.

Old 11-20-2016, 08:26 AM

1,059 posts, read 832,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I doubt Trump could put a stop to illegal immigration. The reason I say this is because no fence or wall will hold them back. They will likely continue jumping or breaking through like they always have.
From what I have been reading, there is very strong opposition from mayors and governors of many states re getting rid of sanctuary cities, California for one. The main reason presented is illegals are more comfortable coming forward to report crimes and the like. Ironic, eh? "Report crimes." I guess illegals murdering innocent citizens is not incentive enough to discontinue harboring those who should not be here in the first place.

It appears to me to be a losing battle trying to uphold our immigration laws. I doubt Trump will be able to have control over illegal aliens invading our country. I hope otherwise and have taken a wait-and-see attitude, starting with deportation of several million illegals with criminal records. Trump was elected because the majority of the voters wanted a Commander in Chief who puts Americans first. His stance on illegal immigration was a big selling point and rightly so. We cannot afford to allow law breakers to continue riding on the backs of US taxpayers. For example, we are expected to house and care for unaccompanied minors, for one, who are not here to work. Using E-verify will weed out illegals who are in the workforce. There are many more who should be sent home at the border.

The demonstrations throughout the country will probably subside as time goes on. However, the precedent has been set that it is perfectly acceptable to rally against anything that isn't what some folks wanted. Seeing school-aged children, who aren't old enough to vote, showing their dissatisfaction is ridiculous in my opinion. But then, my generation was vehemently against Vietnam, and rightly so. A little different than going against a new Admnistration because they 'don't like Trump.' The voters have spoken, kiddos. When it's time for you to vote, it will be your turn to show your preference. The misinformation parroted and sensationalized by the media has given dissidents a free pass.

(Oh, I did not vote for Trump for many reasons; illegal immigration is not one of them. My take is the government will continue mostly as is, except the Republicans will be in charge. And in another four years, the American people will still be seeking change. It's cyclical.)

Old 11-20-2016, 10:52 AM

451 posts, read 236,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Well, okay.

I have two questions:

Who is going to actually work for free in the fields so that we don't pay market price for food?

And the other question is, what are we going to do about that giant statue in the Atlantic just off NYC? It seems somewhat hypocritical to keep it there.

What about these guys?
Attached Thumbnails
I want every single illegal gone.....yesterday-prison.jpg  

Old 11-20-2016, 10:57 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,609,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
We would like to allow for exceptions.....the few real hardship cases. However, we can't do that. Because the side which is pushing for illegal immigration (or at the very least defending it) is not operating from good faith. What they want is just the slightest opening ("we'll allow for exception x, or we will consider factor y"). And if given that opening, they will bust it wide open. They have shown this time and time and time and time again, on a multitude of issues. They will NEVER be satisfied with a limited exception to deportation. They want it all, and can't be believed when discussing the issue. They operate out of pretense and dishonesty. So---NO exceptions. All illegals out now.

(My wife is a LEGAL alien. And the major reason I say the above is that I value a little thing known as "the rule of law". Oh, and I'm a licensed clinical social worker.....).
It's not gonna happen, so cool your heels. You knew it wouldn't happen, really.

If the Republicans wanted cheap labor to be deported, it would've happened years ago. Their constituents, businesses who use illegals for cheap labor, don't want their workers deported.

Trump will make a token deportation of criminals, it seems...who are already slated to be deported in accordance with ICE rules and regs.

To deport any more than that would require increasing the ICE budget, and in light of the huge tax cuts that will be given to the top 5% or 10%, we simply won't have the money. Paul Ryan has already said there's not going to be a deportation force. And cities and states can't afford it, nor do they have the personnel to do that, or the legal authority.

I'm sure you thought all this through, during the campaign, right? After all, the only time we had a sweeping amnesty, it was by a Republican. (Reagan) That surely told you something.

Old 11-20-2016, 11:57 AM

89,243 posts, read 44,979,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

If the Republicans wanted cheap labor to be deported, it would've happened years ago. Their constituents, businesses who use illegals for cheap labor, don't want their workers deported.
Republicans? It's actually Dems/liberals who want to keep their cheap labor. 25% of all illegals in the U.S. live in very blue California. It's the Dems who exploit illegals, not Republicans.

Latest published data:
https://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...ary%202012.pdf

The other top states:

Texas: 16%
Florida: 6%
New York: 5%
Illinois: 4.7%:

Old 11-20-2016, 12:16 PM

7,272 posts, read 4,225,193 times
all illegals should be shaking in their boots - for good reason. this isn't kansas anymore and the new president is not a politician concerned about getting re-elected. he's hired to do a job and is a doer not a talker. big business doesn't have him in their pocket so things are going to change.

Old 11-20-2016, 04:55 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,928,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

Trump will make a token deportation of criminals, it seems...who are already slated to be deported in accordance with ICE rules and regs.

To deport any more than that would require increasing the ICE budget, and in light of the huge tax cuts that will be given to the top 5% or 10%, we simply won't have the money. Paul Ryan has already said there's not going to be a deportation force. And cities and states can't afford it, nor do they have the personnel to do that, or the legal authority.

I'm sure you thought all this through, during the campaign, right? After all, the only time we had a sweeping amnesty, it was by a Republican. (Reagan) That surely told you something.
The party's over for illegal aliens and their fans, time for their kind to go home without making a fuss.

Too; the rage against illegals only really started getting strong in 2006 when those fool tried to demand their rights during those big pro amnesty demonstrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration