Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 06:50 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,847,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm a little confused here. The ones you helped find jobs we legal immigrants? If so, that's not a problem. I think that legal immigrants should have jobs secured before coming here and that it can be proven that an American wouldn't take the same jobs for a fair wage. Illegal aliens do take jobs that Americans will do, however.
Right. Not a problem. Just an experience finding legal immigrants working like illegals for cash and not knowing they had to pay taxes. They're even afraid of Trump. That is until they found out they could get a real job, pay taxes, and be legit. They also learned that if they are legal they don't have to fear Trump. They may be confused because legal and illegal immigrants are just called immigrants most of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 06:53 AM

63,014 posts, read 29,216,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Actually, I think you and I agree on a lot. Which is amusing. The illegals would not come if the employers didn't hire, and they do hire for less than what legal blue collar workers would take. If the jobs were not available they wouldn't come anymore. It would take awhile for it to slow down since we're talking about rumors and info making it's way down to extremely rural areas of Mexico and Central America. "Nobody is hiring in the Norte" I imagine could take up to a year, maybe longer. I'm not sure I agree with your statement about in collusion. When you have absolutely nothing...no money, no power...nothing but poverty and desperation, and rumors that traveling north will solve everything (not knowing what we know, that it won't), I wonder about the definition of collusion since one side (the employers) has the power, the other (illegals) are depending on the power side holding up to the agreement.

As I said, the greedy employers and their illegal workers are equally to blame. If employers didn't hire them they wouldn't come here for jobs on the other hand if the illegals didn't come here on their own seeking work the employers wouldn't have access to their cheap labor either. Neither is less guilty than the other. Being poor, etc. does not excuse anyone for breaking the law either.

It's not only jobs that bring them here but benefits and birthright citizenship for their kids also. All of the incentives need to be removed in order to end illegal immigration.

Old 12-15-2016, 08:41 AM

5,286 posts, read 6,226,016 times
Quote:
"Illegal alien" construction workers may not be making less than minimum wage but they are making less than Americans who were already doing those jobs for a fair wage. If not, then what would have been the incentive for hiring "illegals"?

I was a PM and estimator for a construction sub contractor during the recession and actually had to handle e-verify since I also began handling payroll since I was already reviewing it for project cost purposes and billing. I would notify VP (basically guy who ran the firm) when someone was failing. You actually have a chance to resubmit and half the time it was simply an issue of sloppy handwriting. But more times than not he would groan and roll eyes because these were guys he could already tell or had been told by the supers where great workers. In some trades the Hispanics are simply much more attuned (masonry in particular.) But for the most part it is an entirely different work ethic. They work hard, like a long lunch and then work hard again. The biggest problem is actually getting them to slow down when a problem arises instead of barreling through. I'm not saying they are all the greatest employees but you do really sense a difference in work ethic and even work personality. If they are unhappy they tend to leave and work elsewhere instead of whining day in day out.

Since I was reviewing work hours in terms of wages and time on each job I also knew who made what. And the folks many assumed would earn less (immigrants, less mastery of the language) where often paid the most because of productivity and particularly if they could lead a crew. The folks who left as soon as we mentioned needing further documentation where sometimes guys getting bumped up at the very first paycheck.

And hiring illegals is a huge risk- you open yourself not only to immigration but to an audit and those can be crippling for a business. Particularly since the tax code is so ridiculous you can make 101 errors at any time even with a good accountant. Once or twice my boss was tempted to try to find a way to keep someone but it never happened because we cried too much about prequalification paperwork and insurance and bonding hurdles to even want the government nosing around.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
I was a PM and estimator for a construction sub contractor during the recession and actually had to handle e-verify since I also began handling payroll since I was already reviewing it for project cost purposes and billing. I would notify VP (basically guy who ran the firm) when someone was failing. You actually have a chance to resubmit and half the time it was simply an issue of sloppy handwriting. But more times than not he would groan and roll eyes because these were guys he could already tell or had been told by the supers where great workers. In some trades the Hispanics are simply much more attuned (masonry in particular.) But for the most part it is an entirely different work ethic. They work hard, like a long lunch and then work hard again. The biggest problem is actually getting them to slow down when a problem arises instead of barreling through. I'm not saying they are all the greatest employees but you do really sense a difference in work ethic and even work personality. If they are unhappy they tend to leave and work elsewhere instead of whining day in day out.

Since I was reviewing work hours in terms of wages and time on each job I also knew who made what. And the folks many assumed would earn less (immigrants, less mastery of the language) where often paid the most because of productivity and particularly if they could lead a crew. The folks who left as soon as we mentioned needing further documentation where sometimes guys getting bumped up at the very first paycheck.

And hiring illegals is a huge risk- you open yourself not only to immigration but to an audit and those can be crippling for a business. Particularly since the tax code is so ridiculous you can make 101 errors at any time even with a good accountant. Once or twice my boss was tempted to try to find a way to keep someone but it never happened because we cried too much about prequalification paperwork and insurance and bonding hurdles to even want the government nosing around.

I don't believe any one ethnic group or race is superior to another in any way. In regards to illegal aliens Hispanic or not, I have seen first hand their shoddy workmanship in construction. Working hard or fast doesn't necessarily equate to quality work. The employers like them because they will work for less than the going wage and they can be exploited and yes they are putting themselves at risk hiring them in many ways but it's all about their bottom line and nothing else.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Right. Not a problem. Just an experience finding legal immigrants working like illegals for cash and not knowing they had to pay taxes. They're even afraid of Trump. That is until they found out they could get a real job, pay taxes, and be legit. They also learned that if they are legal they don't have to fear Trump. They may be confused because legal and illegal immigrants are just called immigrants most of the time.

Why do we have legal immigrants here working for cash in the first place? I thought they had to have a legitimate job in order to come here in the first place. Anyone working for cash and not paying taxes whether they immigrant or citizen should fear the IRS not Trump. I have no idea why a legal immigrant would fear deportation under Trump. Surely they aren't that stupid and the issue is those here illegally not legally. If legal immigrants don't understand the difference between themselves and those here illegally (regardless of how liberals like to blur those lines) and what our tax and labor laws then they have no business being here, IMO.

Old 12-15-2016, 04:55 PM

15,436 posts, read 25,847,172 times
Quote:
Why do we have legal immigrants here working for cash in the first place? I thought they had to have a legitimate job in order to come here in the first place. Anyone working for cash and not paying taxes whether they immigrant or citizen should fear the IRS not Trump. I have no idea why a legal immigrant would fear deportation under Trump. Surely they aren't that stupid and the issue is those here illegally not legally. If legal immigrants don't understand the difference between themselves and those here illegally (regardless of how liberals like to blur those lines) and what our tax and labor laws then they have no business being here, IMO.
One has been here since about 12 years of age. He just did not know anything. His family made him work for some other immigrant's restaurant. I helped him get right with the law and working legally and paying taxes, so that's taken care of. Everyone in his immigrant community fears Trump. Their fear got to him. I set him straight. That's all for that one.

The other one can't get a job that pays enough, so he took a job that pays in cash. I taught him how to estimate taxes and make quarterly payments. They both are now living right. That okay with you?

The problem here are all the businesses that are paying cash and not paying taxes. The more immigrants I meet, the more I am finding out that many businesses do it. I so badly want to report them, but it doesn't look to me like the government cares.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:38 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,141,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I knew of a few companies that hired illegal aliens and, I told ICE.
The main segment of society that has to worry about illegals taking their jobs are unskilled laborers..

I've never once worked for a company that hired illegals...

Old 12-16-2016, 01:07 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,923,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
The main segment of society that has to worry about illegals taking their jobs are unskilled laborers..

I've never once worked for a company that hired illegals...
NOT always true since many illegals are in construction and other skilled trades.

Too; there's NO reason an American has to fight for jobs here in the US with illegal aliens.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:21 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,513,082 times
Quote:
As I said, the greedy employers and their illegal workers are equally to blame. If employers didn't hire them they wouldn't come here for jobs on the other hand if the illegals didn't come here on their own seeking work the employers wouldn't have access to their cheap labor either. Neither is less guilty than the other. Being poor, etc. does not excuse anyone for breaking the law either.

It's not only jobs that bring them here but benefits and birthright citizenship for their kids also. All of the incentives need to be removed in order to end illegal immigration.
Maybe, just maybe, I have a little less warmth in my heart when talking about employers intentionally hiring illegals because they can pay less, knowing that the folks they are hiring don't have a leg to stand on if they are paid less, or if they are not paid at all. When those employers are in their warm homes, stomachs fed, not worrying about their families starving, a nice bed to retire to at night. I guess I'm strange that way.

Old 12-16-2016, 06:12 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,447,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Do you now or have you ever worked for a company that you KNOW has hired illegals? If so, what industry was it in? In part, this thread HAS been created to see if the old "They're only doing the jobs Americans won't do" line being pushed around is true or not.
Yes. The airline industry -- specifically United Airlines ground crew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration