Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 05:57 PM

62,959 posts, read 29,141,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A guy I know who is one of the most vocal critics of illegal immigrants I've ever met hires them in his business. He'd be up the creek without them.

He's a hypocrite but if a business supposedly can't survive without illegal aliens then they should go out of business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 07:34 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Do you now or have you ever worked for a company that you KNOW has hired illegals? If so, what industry was it in? In part, this thread HAS been created to see if the old "They're only doing the jobs Americans won't do" line being pushed around is true or not.

Yes, Commercial Electrician.
I also quit due to it.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:59 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Do you now or have you ever worked for a company that you KNOW has hired illegals? If so, what industry was it in? In part, this thread HAS been created to see if the old "They're only doing the jobs Americans won't do" line being pushed around is true or not.
No, I've never worked for the Trump organization.

Old 12-17-2016, 04:16 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
A guy I know who is one of the most vocal critics of illegal immigrants I've ever met hires them in his business. He'd be up the creek without them.
Why would he be up a creek without them? Note to OldGlory, THIS is what I'm talking about. This is hypocrisy and this is what makes me angry. Businesses hire them, owners of those same businesses complain about them. It makes no sense. And it's NOT a level playing field. I agree with those who talk about the stealing of SS numbers and the mess it creates. If you own a company and cannot afford to pay citizens at least minimum wage then you have no business running a company.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Why would he be up a creek without them? Note to OldGlory, THIS is what I'm talking about. This is hypocrisy and this is what makes me angry. Businesses hire them, owners of those same businesses complain about them. It makes no sense. And it's NOT a level playing field. I agree with those who talk about the stealing of SS numbers and the mess it creates. If you own a company and cannot afford to pay citizens at least minimum wage then you have no business running a company.

I seriously doubt that "most" companies that hire illegal aliens complain about them. It would make no sense. The majority of Americans who do are law abiding Americans and most of them have been negatively impacted by them and don't hire them.

Old 12-17-2016, 07:47 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
They would probably be up the creek because if they hire real citizens, their costs would be far higher than the competitors who hire illegals for pennies.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:03 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
This is a strawman fallacy. The statement isnt that they are ONLY doing the jobs americans won't do, it is that they are disproportionately are willing to do jobs like migrant farm labor.

Additionally, from a statistics stand point, asking CD users, who are primarily middle class and above, mostly white, mostly middle aged, about working with illegal immigrants is going to be sampling people who are unlikely to work in those sorts of jobs anyway. Do you think there are very many migrant farm workers on CD? It would be like going to the local catholic church and asking how many jews lived in town.

Also, it is vital to note that fellow employees are not in a position to know another employees immigration status anyway. Just because someone is hispanic, and speaks english poorly does not mean they are illegal.

Anyway, we have those numbers already, somewhere around 55-70% of farm workers are illegal immigrants, mostly from mexico, which is somewhere north of 1.4 million people. That accounts for nearly a quarter of all the unauthorized mexicans working in the US.

Illegal immigrants benefit the U.S. economy | TheHill

Old 12-17-2016, 02:17 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This is a strawman fallacy. The statement isnt that they are ONLY doing the jobs americans won't do, it is that they are disproportionately are willing to do jobs like migrant farm labor.

Additionally, from a statistics stand point, asking CD users, who are primarily middle class and above, mostly white, mostly middle aged, about working with illegal immigrants is going to be sampling people who are unlikely to work in those sorts of jobs anyway. Do you think there are very many migrant farm workers on CD? It would be like going to the local catholic church and asking how many jews lived in town.

Also, it is vital to note that fellow employees are not in a position to know another employees immigration status anyway. Just because someone is hispanic, and speaks english poorly does not mean they are illegal.

Anyway, we have those numbers already, somewhere around 55-70% of farm workers are illegal immigrants, mostly from mexico, which is somewhere north of 1.4 million people. That accounts for nearly a quarter of all the unauthorized mexicans working in the US.

Illegal immigrants benefit the U.S. economy | TheHill
With so many people out of work who want TO work: I'd say we DON'T illegal aliens for a thing, not even to work on the farms.

Old 12-17-2016, 03:25 PM

Only 2% of illegals are farm workers the rest are doing blue collared jobs that Americans were already doing for a fair wage. Check out number 3 in the link.

'Illegal Alien Facts' vs. the Truth-O-Meter | PolitiFact

Old 12-17-2016, 06:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
With so many people out of work who want TO work: I'd say we DON'T illegal aliens for a thing, not even to work on the farms.
Ok, are you going to be willing to increase your spending on groceries by 60%? is everyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration