Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 07:03 AM

63,019 posts, read 29,229,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
[/b]

If you think undocumented construction workers are making less than minimum wage, you're incredibly misinformed and out of touch.

"Illegal alien" construction workers may not be making less than minimum wage but they are making less than Americans who were already doing those jobs for a fair wage. If not, then what would have been the incentive for hiring "illegals"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2016, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Because the big guys hire them, seek them out. We have a lawn guy with is own company, Mexican legal with a legal Social, who is trying to purchase a house. Hubby is a realtor and working with him, not usual price point (very low) that husband works with, but we like him a lot and would love to see him in a house. The industries have not been taken over BY THEM (illegals), the big guys have taken them on, encouraged them to come here and work illegally in order to cut THEIR prices. New construction in our area is a joke. Big wigs, big names in construction, that pick up day laborers at Home Depot, Lowes, and the local Sam's Clubs that were deserted years ago, buildings still up for lease because the real estate company that owns Walmart and Sam's Club properties won't sell, insist on leasing... . Yes, Oldglory, assuming you and I are close in age, people did do manual labor for fair wages back in the day, but that's gone. Why pay a citizen at least minimum wage when you can pay an illegal less, or maybe not pay them at all (because, who are they going to report to?).

That's just splitting hairs. Illegals have taken over blue-collard jobs in "collusion" with their greedy employers. I have never said otherwise. if they weren't here though those employers wouldn't be able to hire them. No one forces them over the border to work here. They know what they are doing is wrong. If I am "encouraged" to break the law I'm not at fault if I do so? I am well aware that the greedy employers hire them to increase their profits but they and their illegal hires are equally to blame.

Why pay a citizen a fair wage for those jobs instead of hiring cheap, illegal workers? It's against the law, that's why!

Old 12-12-2016, 09:40 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,328,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Do you now or have you ever worked for a company that you KNOW has hired illegals? If so, what industry was it in? In part, this thread HAS been created to see if the old "They're only doing the jobs Americans won't do" line being pushed around is true or not.
No, but I did work for a company where one employee's visa expired (don't recall the exact circumstances) and he stayed employed while he changed status.

I have worked abroad before on an expired visa. I had it in writing from that country's government that even though my current visa was expired, I could continue working while my new visa was being processed and it would be back-dated. They had lost my passport while processing the application, so the fault was entirely on their end. They were pretty nice about it actually. It didn't cause any issues and my employer was aware of the issue start to finish.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:35 PM

15,438 posts, read 25,852,608 times
I know several restaurants and food services that hire illegals. I know Uber does because one is working for them now. In that case, he may have fooled them.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:28 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,863,751 times
All the chicken processing plants around here hire them. I never worked for them but my wife had. My career is different but many Americans used to take those jobs as they are some of the few career and year round jobs available where I am. Now there is today.

They only advertise in spanish in towns that have become overrun and trashed by illegal and uneducated Mexicans and assorted Central Americans. The only exceptions to that rule are that they also advertising in criolle in places overtaken by, you guessed it, Hatiens! As far as radio and print adds. Yep, only in Spanish on Latin radio.

Now they have moved up in the business and into management positions. Of course, once they are involved in the hiring process, the rest of our laws get thrown away as they will then only seek out their own.

There goes the "they are only doing jobs Americans won't do" line. It's not that Americans wont do these jobs, it's that their is no notice anywhere in ENGLISH showing the availability for jobs as it seems to be a closed marked with jobs meabnt for those in their illegal circle.

BTW, My wife left because all the illegals taunted her and practically shammed her for going through the proper channels and having a green card. They were jeolous of her because she can work anywhere but at the same time laughing at her for following our laws! Yes, theyare no more in the shaddows anymore and are getting quite balsy. Personally I am sick of hearing constant Spnish and seeing Mexican and El Salvador flags flying evetrywhetre 1 f'n thousand miles from the Mexican border!

Old 12-12-2016, 07:18 PM

11,284 posts, read 11,057,689 times
Never worked for a company that openly hired illegals, but have worked for many that have no problem doing business with other companies that supply them employment for jobs like landscaping and transportation and such.

I don't agree with the practice, but I don't make those decisions.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:22 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,527,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
Do you now or have you ever worked for a company that you KNOW has hired illegals? If so, what industry was it in? In part, this thread HAS been created to see if the old "They're only doing the jobs Americans won't do" line being pushed around is true or not.
Yes in the service industry, fast food and sit down restaurants.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:35 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,381,405 times
Virtually every company in the US who hires the lowest cost bid for housekeeping hires illegals. That is virtually all.

Almost no large corporation hires illegals. They hire contractors who hire illegals.

Don't any of you folks understand how this works?

In the Southwest at least the residential construction industry is dominated by Hispanics. Not by illegals. And it all happened because non union contractors hired Hispanics to provide trade labor. Some of course are illegal...but that is not why they were hired. They worked cheaper..simple.

Old 12-12-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlinfshr View Post
All the chicken processing plants around here hire them. I never worked for them but my wife had. My career is different but many Americans used to take those jobs as they are some of the few career and year round jobs available where I am. Now there is today.

They only advertise in spanish in towns that have become overrun and trashed by illegal and uneducated Mexicans and assorted Central Americans. The only exceptions to that rule are that they also advertising in criolle in places overtaken by, you guessed it, Hatiens! As far as radio and print adds. Yep, only in Spanish on Latin radio.

Now they have moved up in the business and into management positions. Of course, once they are involved in the hiring process, the rest of our laws get thrown away as they will then only seek out their own.

There goes the "they are only doing jobs Americans won't do" line. It's not that Americans wont do these jobs, it's that their is no notice anywhere in ENGLISH showing the availability for jobs as it seems to be a closed marked with jobs meabnt for those in their illegal circle.

BTW, My wife left because all the illegals taunted her and practically shammed her for going through the proper channels and having a green card. They were jeolous of her because she can work anywhere but at the same time laughing at her for following our laws! Yes, theyare no more in the shaddows anymore and are getting quite balsy. Personally I am sick of hearing constant Spnish and seeing Mexican and El Salvador flags flying evetrywhetre 1 f'n thousand miles from the Mexican border!

Same thing here in So. Calif. They have flooded the construction industry and they won't hire you unless you speak Spanish as they have an all Spanish speaking crew many of them are illegal aliens. It's that way in the landscaping business also. Many other jobs require that you speak Spanish to get hired because they have an all Spanish speaking crew and many of them are illegal aliens also. It's not that Americans won't do those jobs for a fair wage but they are being discriminated against.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:15 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,026,035 times
Back in the 70's and 80's a lot of the track worker jobs were filled with Illegals.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration