Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 04:51 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Back to my Question to Cubans getting a free pass? Did the Europeans also receive this "free pass" treatment?
The answer is yes.
Yes. And the reason was / is?????? What?????? Let me answer for you - the laws were different than today.

Or, doesn't that matter to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 05:08 PM

162 posts, read 326,309 times
Quote:
Back to my Question to Cubans getting a free pass? Did the Europeans also receive this "free pass" treatment?
The answer is yes. And this proves my point, that some of you guys are racist. Cubans are getting a free ride. Why, because they are hispanic. But the millions of Europeans who came here didn't get a free ride. They came here legally. Amazing!
You've got a good point John, and in my opinion, all those racist posts are the result of profiling immigrants.
Hispanics "lead" the topic because of Mexico and the millions of mexicans living legally and illegally in the US. So if you happen to be black hair, dark skin and black eyes you "automatically" belong to the Hispanic group. Which is fine with me, I am Hispanic too.
But I dont appreciate when short minded people try to put all of us in the same box with people who commit crimes. Then many people relate Hispanics with all kind of bad things. That is so wrong.
Sometimes I wonder what would be the case, if Sweden instead Mexico was the one sharing the southern borderline. How would people deal with them, they are mostly blonde hair and blue eyes? Probably the term 'hispanic" wouldn't exist.
I am totally against profiling, I have great Mexican friends, I have family living in Sweden and I am so lucky to be an American.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:11 PM

558 posts, read 385,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
You've got a good point John, and in my opinion, all those racist posts are the result of profiling immigrants.
Hispanics "lead" the topic because of Mexico and the millions of mexicans living legally and illegally in the US. So if you happen to be black hair, dark skin and black eyes you "automatically" belong to the Hispanic group. Which is fine with me, I am Hispanic too.
But I dont appreciate when short minded people try to put all of us in the same box with people who commit crimes. Then many people relate Hispanics with all kind of bad things. That is so wrong.
Sometimes I wonder what would be the case, if Sweden instead Mexico was the one sharing the southern borderline. How would people deal with them, they are mostly blonde hair and blue eyes? Probably the term 'hispanic" wouldn't exist.
I am totally against profiling, I have great Mexican friends, I have family living in Sweden and I am so lucky to be an American.
Totally agree with you!

Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
What about all those European immigrants that came here through Ellis Island as one example, did they get a free ride also?
NO. Those Europeans came here LEGALLY. The laws were more lenient back then but by the early 20th century at least, they had to have a JOB waiting for them in the USA.

US recruiters posted signs and advertisements in the countries to get people to come to the US and work. THERE WERE JOBS. The Europeans who came here had those JOBS already. AND, they did not normally sneak in. Maybe a few, there are always a few bad apples, but probably 99% of them already HAD A JOB and came here perfectly LEGALLY.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:16 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
At one time we had Jim Crow laws etc.

Latin America may not have had the same types of laws--------but, several brown Latinos have told me about racial prejudice against them when visiting Spain.

That is correct: Spaniards tend towards White supremacy. Mestizo Hispanics oftentimes are loathed by the indigenous people there.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
NO. Those Europeans came here LEGALLY. The laws were more lenient back then but by the early 20th century at least, they had to have a JOB waiting for them in the USA.

US recruiters posted signs and advertisements in the countries to get people to come to the US and work. THERE WERE JOBS. The Europeans who came here had those JOBS already. AND, they did not normally sneak in. Maybe a few, there are always a few bad apples, but probably 99% of them already HAD A JOB and came here perfectly LEGALLY.
I understand they came here legally. The point was this. Guy said that although the Cubans are legal, they are getting a free ride. So did the Europeans who came here legally, get that same free ride? He NEVER responded.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
At one time we had Jim Crow laws etc.

Latin America may not have had the same types of laws--------but, several brown Latinos have told me about racial prejudice against them when visiting Spain.

That is correct: Spaniards tend towards White supremacy. Mestizo Hispanics oftentimes are loathed by the indigenous people there.
You have a valid point. There is much racism in Latin America. Whites there think they are better than the rest. It comes from the Spanish culture that has remain perserved in Latin America. Racism in Cuba is a problem, because it's like a latin copy of American demographics. Whites are the majority and blacks are the minority. Then you have Mulattos (mixed). Guess who runs the place, the whites.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:23 PM

If anybody, Hispanic or what, wants to immigrate LEGALLY (which means OBEYING THE LAW) I have no problem with it. Get the background check so we know you're not a criminal, get the medical check so we know you're not carrying some terrible contagious disease, and pay the money (which you now pay to criminals to get you in) to the US Immigration Service.

BTW, when those European immigrants (men) sent for their wives and children, after having been in the US working for at least a year usually, the families were quarantined on Ellis Island. It couldn't have been easy. They didn't just get to walk in.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:27 PM

I didn't know about the dry foot/wet foot policy but the US does give refuge to people who are refugees trying to escape a terrible government like what Cuba has. Seems ok to me.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:29 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Do you have a problem with them coming over here to the great US of A?
This forum is titled Immigration...not Illegal Immigration.
I HOPE they can come, and BEHAVE themselves, but it's a LONG shot. We all know virtually ALL immigrants in the past have "raped, murdered, oppressed, and robbed" the locals...that is, the ones they didn't kill with their diseases.

Maybe the Cubans will be DIFFERENT...lets hope so.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration