Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 05:33 PM

558 posts, read 385,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I HOPE they can come, and BEHAVE themselves, but it's a LONG shot. We all know virtually ALL immigrants in the past have "raped, murdered, oppressed, and robbed" the locals...that is, the ones they didn't kill with their diseases.

Maybe the Cubans will be DIFFERENT...lets hope so.....
You don't much about the Cuban population here in the US do you. Well, let me educate you. And how do I know all this, because I am Cuban.

Cubans are the highest educated on average of all hispanics - equal to Americans. They have the highest avg household income of all hispanics - on par with Americans. The Cubans that came to the US fleeing Cuba in the 60's, were doctors, lawyers, nurses, business owners, professors, politicians, etc.

So, yeah, don't put everyone lumped together. But, I understand, you are not totally educated on the subject of immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 05:38 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,555,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATOGAMO View Post
Sometimes I wonder what would be the case, if Sweden instead Mexico was the one sharing the southern borderline. How would people deal with them, they are mostly blonde hair and blue eyes? Probably the term 'hispanic" wouldn't exist.
I think you're right. As I walk down the street, I OFTEN hear grumpy people saying things like "I don't mind the flag-desecration, the rock-throwing, and the fact that hospital emergency rooms are closing because the can't afford any more indigent, unreimbursed patients. I don't mind ANY of that, and I would WELCOME it, if it just wasn't those darn Hispanics doing it. Give me some good, old-fashioned SWEDISH crime, any day !"

I think you've hit the nail on the head. People aren't upset about illegal immigration..they're upset about HISPANICS !......

Old 03-21-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I think you're right. As I walk down the street, I OFTEN hear grumpy people saying things like "I don't mind the flag-desecration, the rock-throwing, and the fact that hospital emergency rooms are closing because the can't afford any more indigent, unreimbursed patients. I don't mind ANY of that, and I would WELCOME it, if it just wasn't those darn Hispanics doing it. Give me some good, old-fashioned SWEDISH crime, any day !"

I think you've hit the nail on the head. People aren't upset about illegal immigration..they're upset about HISPANICS !......
Yup...and guess what? People are upset at grumpy old white men who wish we were still in the 50's!

Old 03-21-2008, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
You don't much about the Cuban population here in the US do you. Well, let me educate you. And how do I know all this, because I am Cuban.

Cubans are the highest educated on average of all hispanics - equal to Americans. They have the highest avg household income of all hispanics - on par with Americans. The Cubans that came to the US fleeing Cuba in the 60's, were doctors, lawyers, nurses, business owners, professors, politicians, etc.

So, yeah, don't put everyone lumped together. But, I understand, you are not totally educated on the subject of immigration.
Nope, we CERTAINLY wouldn't want to be guilty of "lumping" anyone together, would we? Thanks for reminding us.....

Old 03-21-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Yup...and guess what? People are upset at grumpy old white men who wish we were still in the 50's!
THey SHOULD be upset..those old guys sure don't sound like very nice people.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Nope, we CERTAINLY wouldn't want to be guilty of "lumping" anyone together, would we? Thanks for reminding us.....
Of course not macmeal.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:48 PM

162 posts, read 326,332 times
In_newengland,
Any legal immigrant have to follow the INS procedures that obviously includes all the checks you named in your post. I am hispanic and a proud American citizen. I did what the Law requested during my immigration process.
Do you think America is disease-free? You may not like it once you find the answer. My wife is a RN, born and raised in this great country.
Again, stop profiling, it wont help us, it will keep dividing us. If you choose to respond me, you are welcome, but keep it polite as I just did. Thanks.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:57 PM

A thought just occurred to me (yes, occasionally I DO get a thought). If the early Cuban immigrants (those BEFORE the notorious "Mariel" debacle) WERE highly educated people (as we know they mostly were), I wonder how they were able to justify coming here, as ALL of us know that the US is a society founded on rape, slavery, murder, racism, pillage, and so much general all-around "nastiness" and gratuitous mayhem, that it is, by SOME accounts, just about the WORST and most EVIL society that was ever invented by the twisted minds of men.

It seems to me that educated Cubans must surely have KNOWN this....which leads to the NEXT assumption..that these folks somehow 'squared' it with their own consciences. I wonder what convinced them to come from a "bad" place (Castro's Communist governed Cuba), to a much WORSE place (racist, murderous, altogether NASTY, America).

I wonder if some of the Cuban immigrant population has ever mentioned how they were able to get around this moral dilemma? It would be interesting to learn....particularly from those of us who "don't know nothing".

Old 03-21-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
A thought just occurred to me (yes, occasionally I DO get a thought). If the early Cuban immigrants (those BEFORE the notorious "Mariel" debacle) WERE highly educated people (as we know they mostly were), I wonder how they were able to justify coming here, as ALL of us know that the US is a society founded on rape, slavery, murder, racism, pillage, and so much general all-around "nastiness" and gratuitous mayhem, that it is, by SOME accounts, just about the WORST and most EVIL society that was ever invented by the twisted minds of men.

It seems to me that educated Cubans must surely have KNOWN this....which leads to the NEXT assumption..that these folks somehow 'squared' it with their own consciences. I wonder what convinced them to come from a "bad" place (Castro's Communist governed Cuba), to a much WORSE place (racist, murderous, altogether NASTY, America).

I wonder if some of the Cuban immigrant population has ever mentioned how they were able to get around this moral dilemma? It would be interesting to learn....particularly from those of us who "don't know nothing".
Because Cuba was founded with a common history. Spaniards who came over, killed, raped and enslaved the native poplution. Also, the Spaniards brought slaves from Africa to Cuba to work the farms and plantations. So, yeah...a lot in common there, huh? Quick and to the point

Old 03-21-2008, 06:04 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Any legal immigrant have to follow the INS procedures that obviously includes all the checks you named in your post. I am hispanic and a proud American citizen. I did what the Law requested during my immigration process.
Do you think America is disease-free? You may not like it once you find the answer. My wife is a RN, born and raised in this great country.
Again, stop profiling, it wont help us, it will keep dividing us. If you choose to respond me, you are welcome, but keep it polite as I just did. Thanks.

As I stated previously, ALL legal immigrants are required to take a medical test. In the distant past, anyone with a disease was isolated on Ellis Island and often sent back to their native country. You already know about the medical exam because you are a legal immigrant yourself.

I never said anything about there being no diseases in the US already. These are two different topics.

Maybe you think I am wanting medical exams ONLY for Hispanics? No, of course not. I never said that. Any immigrant from ANY country is required to get the medical test -- what if they have TB or some other communicable disease? Medical tests are for all people who are new to the country, all legal immigrants and it's been that way for a long long time. Am I making sense? (thank you for immigrating legally, btw, that's good, no problem.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration