Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:37 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times

Advertisements

Waiting for the inevitable liberal lament of splitting families up in 4, 3, 2, 1.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:37 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
What I'm wondering is what sort of Marine her husband is if he wasn't encouraging her every minute to get her status legalized and squared away. I assume he wanted her to be able to stay and not get deported?
The laws weren't being enforced so those living here illegally didnt put any priority into trying to become legal, deportation was a joke.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:41 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,626,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
The laws weren't being enforced so those living here illegally didnt put any priority into trying to become legal, deportation was a joke.
Not true. I have friends who are here illegally. They aren't any less my friends because of it, but I always encourage them to fix and legalize their status here. A couple of them did, but this one doesn't see the point of doing so (partially because she thinks she'll be turned down because she never finished high school). Decent, wonderful people, and I really want them to be able to stay and not get deported, because our country is all the better for having more people like that in it. Provided they're here legally.

You'd think a Marine and husband would feel the same about his wife. Or maybe he didn't?

Old 08-03-2018, 09:43 AM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
A lot of people overlook that point. Hillary was expected to win and expected to continue the policies that existed.
My bet is that she comes back, walking right through the spot where there should be a wall.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:45 AM

25,583 posts, read 17,304,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Not true. I have friends who are here illegally. They aren't any less my friends because of it, but I always encourage them to fix and legalize their status here. A couple of them did, but this one doesn't see the point of doing so (partially because she thinks she'll be turned down because she never finished high school). Decent, wonderful people, and I really want them to be able to stay and not get deported, because our country is all the better for having more people like that in it. Provided they're here legally.............
But most of them can't, can they? I know a few illegals and as far as I know there is no way for them to become legal.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:46 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
As a veteran who served in Desert Storm, I cannot accurately express my outrage at the use of the "veterans card" when someone does something wrong but want to get a pass.

Being a Vet is no excuse for poor behavior.
The VAST majority of the veterans I know believe that being a veteran is a call to a higher standard.

Seems the NRA and Oliver North would disagree.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:47 AM

45,433 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
My question is that if he was active duty and married to an undocumented woman how did he pass the security screenings? Being married to a legal immigrant can really gum up the background check works.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:49 AM

9,465 posts, read 5,233,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
But most of them can't, can they? I know a few illegals and as far as I know there is no way for them to become legal.
You are correct. There must be a legal avenue to pursue to become a legal permanent resident and then take the path to naturalization. If you have years and years of 'unlawful status,' my understanding is you will not be able to attain LPR status. There also may be an issue with the wife of the marine. Generally, a spouse of a USC gets status. LPR then can naturalize down the road. He may not have gone through the process for her because she may also have had the unlawful presence problem. Oh well. It's not like our laws are secret.

Old 08-03-2018, 09:49 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
The thing that always puzzles me: Aren't you supposed to gain relatively easy access to US Citizenship when you are provably and happily married to a US Citizen? Married for 2 days could be a scam obviously. But I keep hearing stories about illegal immigrants who are married to citizens, but spend decades never progressing towards citizenship. When I ask them, they say it's too expensive or somesuch. What's up with that?

Old 08-03-2018, 09:55 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The thing that always puzzles me: Aren't you supposed to gain relatively easy access to US Citizenship when you are provably and happily married to a US Citizen? Married for 2 days could be a scam obviously. But I keep hearing stories about illegal immigrants who are married to citizens, but spend decades never progressing towards citizenship. When I ask them, they say it's too expensive or somesuch. What's up with that?
Usually yes but something tells me this woman has a record involving something that is keeping her from legal status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration