Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:56 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The thing that always puzzles me: Aren't you supposed to gain relatively easy access to US Citizenship when you are provably and happily married to a US Citizen? Married for 2 days could be a scam obviously. But I keep hearing stories about illegal immigrants who are married to citizens, but spend decades never progressing towards citizenship. When I ask them, they say it's too expensive or somesuch. What's up with that?
It is easy. You get married, apply for residency, you get a sticker in your passport, then you get a green card, and wait three years and then you can apply for citizenship, it is very straightforward.

There are fees, but if you do not make enough, they waive the fees.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:00 AM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
She said,

""My husband fought for this country three times. The administration, yourself, you think you are punishing me. You're not just punishing me," she said, referring to her family. "I hope this make him happy. Perhaps we will forgive him."

well, if she wants to wear her husband's rank, then joining the Marines, not just marrying one.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:04 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Not true. I have friends who are here illegally. They aren't any less my friends because of it, but I always encourage them to fix and legalize their status here. A couple of them did, but this one doesn't see the point of doing so (partially because she thinks she'll be turned down because she never finished high school). Decent, wonderful people, and I really want them to be able to stay and not get deported, because our country is all the better for having more people like that in it. Provided they're here legally.

You'd think a Marine and husband would feel the same about his wife. Or maybe he didn't?
Are you saying before zero tolerance, before Trump, before Obama even illegals were equally concerned about living in the US illegally or what is not true?

Old 08-03-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
My question is that if he was active duty and married to an undocumented woman how did he pass the security screenings? Being married to a legal immigrant can really gum up the background check works.
I have no idea how the military screens their soldiers for active duty?

Old 08-03-2018, 10:06 AM

189 posts, read 110,854 times
Quote:
The thing that always puzzles me: Aren't you supposed to gain relatively easy access to US Citizenship when you are provably and happily married to a US Citizen? Married for 2 days could be a scam obviously. But I keep hearing stories about illegal immigrants who are married to citizens, but spend decades never progressing towards citizenship. When I ask them, they say it's too expensive or somesuch. What's up with that?

No. It's not easy if you were here illegally. I know someone who was losing his legal political asylum visa (the situation in his home country had stabilized and after 10 years here the U.S. govt. decided it was OK to send his family home). He wasn't eligible to become a permanent citizen because political asylum visas, I guess are considered "temporary" but he had a social security number and worked legally. Suddenly, his entire family was going to be deported.

He married a US citizen but at that point he was considered "illegal" as his asylum visa had been revoked. He was deported and sent to his home country. Once you are actually illegal, you need to go back to your home country and then apply to legally come as a spouse. If you have ever been convicted of entering the country illegally, it can be impossible to get a spousal visa to come back. It took over a year and many thousands of dollars in immigration lawyer fees to get him back.

The process may be too expensive for many and impractical if you children.

That's what's up with that.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,300,151 times
I don't care...put that veteran card back in your wallet. Have fun in the Yucatan.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Usually yes but something tells me this woman has a record involving something that is keeping her from legal status.
She was caught the first time she entered illegally and signed a paper stating so and was deported. Snuck back in a few days later.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:09 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamjedlicka View Post
You are correct. There must be a legal avenue to pursue to become a legal permanent resident and then take the path to naturalization. If you have years and years of 'unlawful status,' my understanding is you will not be able to attain LPR status. There also may be an issue with the wife of the marine. Generally, a spouse of a USC gets status. LPR then can naturalize down the road. He may not have gone through the process for her because she may also have had the unlawful presence problem. Oh well. It's not like our laws are secret.

Why MUST there always be a legal avenue? Are you saying that anyone should qualify for legal admission? If so, then what's the point of the application and screening process? If someone cannot pass the screening process to come here legally why should they pass if already here?

Saying there MUST be a legal path for anyone illegal - whether they would have originally qualified or not - is basically granting AMNESTY.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Spousal petition is the highest level of priority and fastest way to get permanent residency but it will not get you around many inadmissible barriers, such as admission bars (for previous deportations), criminal history, etc.

Old 08-03-2018, 10:14 AM

"Most Americans take it for granted that marriage to a U.S. citizen and other family relationships entitle an immigrant to permanent residence (a green card), but there are barriers that often prevent or delay these family members from becoming lawful permanent residents, even if they are already in the United States. Among these barriers are the “three- and ten-year bars,” provisions of the law which prohibit applicants from returning to the United States if they depart after having previously been in the country illegally."

https://www.americanimmigrationcounc...-ten-year-bars
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration