Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think illegal aliens should be denied health care?
Yes, under all circumstances 51 35.42%
Yes, unless it is an emergency 73 50.69%
No, they should not be denied health care at hospitals and doctors offices 12 8.33%
Other 5 3.47%
No opinion/Not sure 3 2.08%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 02:11 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,714,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
What gets to me more is the ones who are suffering is the lower middle class. They have enough money to pay their bills, but health care is not prioritized and often on, they go with out. On the contrary, the poor receive it for free while the middle class are scraping by.
I think if the "yuppy" liberals in San Francisco and Beverly Hills just saw what illegals were doing to the hospitals, schools, etc. then they would not feel as bad for illegal aliens and might become against it. But because they never see illegals "in action", they dont really know whats happening. I wish they were hit harder by the effects of illegal immigration to get it through their skulls that it isnt a good thing and the illegal immigrants shouldnt get US rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 02:24 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,602,400 times
Illegal aliens should only receive “life-saving” medical treatment. However, life-saving treatment does not include being placed on a transplant list. If one is stable enough to be “placed on a list,” they should be returned to their country of origin to receive their treatment.

I watched a news report in which an illegal alien woman bragged that she came here from Mexico specifically to take advantage of OUR benefits. According to her; most Americans are wealthy and should "take care of” anyone who wishes to come here. She was so brazen she didn't even attempt to conceal her identity.

Old 04-20-2008, 02:49 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,862,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Illegal aliens should only receive “life-saving” medical treatment. However, life-saving treatment does not include being placed on a transplant list. If one is stable enough to be “placed on a list,” they should be returned to their country of origin to receive their treatment.

I watched a news report in which an illegal alien woman bragged that she came here from Mexico specifically to take advantage of OUR benefits. According to her; most Americans are wealthy and should "take care of” anyone who wishes to come here. She was so brazen she didn't even attempt to conceal her identity.

A lot of people don't realize that organ transplants are done in Mexico's hospitals.

And like anything -- as long as we do everything for them, we keep them from having to do anything for themselves.

Old 04-20-2008, 03:19 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,756,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprincess View Post
You know, I have wrestled with this for a little while. I have two very conflicting opinions about this with regard to me personally: me the American taxpayer vs. me the doc-in-training . I have been in a situation (w/o health insurance at one time) where I had to prioritize and rearrange my finances/lifestyle to pay medical bills. It angers me that even so much as a few cents of my tax dollars are going toward paying for healthcare of illegals and their families while millions of Americans who can't afford that type of care are SOL. You can't hound an illegal to pay their medical expenses if they don't have a real SSN, a home to foreclose, a credit report, or anything to lien. Yet (as another poster mentioned), an American can be tracked and hounded for the rest of their life for not doing so.

Then the provider side of me would never turn any person away, regardless of their gender, race, religion, or citizenship status. It is my job to treat them, to prevent the spread of an infectious agent, to keep someone alive, etc. While in the back of my head, I may think of the word "freeloader" in the presence of an illegal (I know that sounds so awful, but I can't help it), I will not allow my political and American ideologies to compromise the care that I will provide.

I guess my middle ground would be that no one should ever be turned away for emergency and stabilization services, but beyond that...nothing. I will probably work for a cash-only practice within my specialty anyway, so I won't have to deal with the dilemma of non-payments (or insurance reimbursements for that matter) at all.

Gaaahhhhh the frustration! haha
I don't have any money...I rent...I have no credit. I couldn't pay for medical care if I had to--so I refuse to seek treatment when I'm not 100%. I've broken toes and just continued to walk on them anyhow, and work through the pain. I was born a citizen of this country. But I can't AFFORD medical care.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:38 PM

65 posts, read 168,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't have any money...I rent...I have no credit. I couldn't pay for medical care if I had to--so I refuse to seek treatment when I'm not 100%. I've broken toes and just continued to walk on them anyhow, and work through the pain. I was born a citizen of this country. But I can't AFFORD medical care.
Yeah it is very frustrating that that an American citizen can't afford medical care, but through "charity care" and social programs (and a sense of anonymity), an illegal immigrant can run up a huge bill at the ER over a "cough" and not pay for it.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:01 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,667,015 times
And be allowed to come back for "emergency care" again and again at random. "Oh, we're in the neighorhood, let's go get our prescriptions filled here, is so much closer and we don't have to pay for it. Maybe we will meet some friends there and watch some TV, and get cooled off (or warmed up)." You think I'm kidding?!

Old 04-21-2008, 12:50 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,349,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
If providing health care is truly an altruistic act...then why should it be charged for?
Then, don't you think all of us citizens who DO pay for healthcare should instead get free care like the illegals?

Old 04-21-2008, 12:54 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,349,722 times
Maybe if we stopped letting illegals get healthcare (by deporting them one by one as they arrive in the ER), we could cover OUR citizens who can't afford it instead.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:02 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,540,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Maybe if we stopped letting illegals get healthcare (by deporting them one by one as they arrive in the ER), we could cover OUR citizens who can't afford it instead.
I agree with you, unless they are critical turn them away.

However you know that is not going to happen in this country, you know why?
Lawyers, Pharmaceutical companies, Insurance Companies...the whole deal, they ALL get their money somehow, which makes the wheels on this scam of a healthcare and legal system turn.

We have the most elaborate scam of medical care ever created, we Americans are paying for it with money and health:

1) If an illegal died lawyers would be crawling all over it.
2) Lawyers crawl all over it, because suits are big money.
3) Doctors need to be insured against suits, hence insurance companies getting their cut.
4) Doctors have to be very careful in what they do, hence they over medicate people.
5) Over medication means the Pharmaceutical companies make their $$$.
6) That illegal is getting money from your hands to the Pharmaceutical companies and lawyers if not.

So illegals will get service, that is the way the system is created Doctors cannot afford a suit, Pharmaceutical companies want it too, lawyers hover over like hawks.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,584,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I agree with you, unless they are critical turn them away.

However you know that is not going to happen in this country, you know why?
Lawyers, Pharmaceutical companies, Insurance Companies...the whole deal, they ALL get their money somehow, which makes the wheels on this scam of a healthcare and legal system turn.

We have the most elaborate scam of medical care ever created, we Americans are paying for it with money and health:

1) If an illegal died lawyers would be crawling all over it.
2) Lawyers crawl all over it, because suits are big money.
3) Doctors need to be insured against suits, hence insurance companies getting their cut.
4) Doctors have to be very careful in what they do, hence they over medicate people.
5) Over medication means the Pharmaceutical companies make their $$$.
6) That illegal is getting money from your hands to the Pharmaceutical companies and lawyers if not.

So illegals will get service, that is the way the system is created Doctors cannot afford a suit.
I agree. I'd like to see illegals get critical health care....then I'd like to see their countries of origin be held responsible for the costs.....and I'd like to see the US Government INSIST that these costs be reimbursed in full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration