Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 09:12 AM

3,489 posts, read 1,533,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The peasants crossing our border lack the education and skills to take care of our elderly or to do any job that pays a liveable wage and therefore they become an economic burden to our society. If there truly is a shortage of workers for skilled jobs we will import legal immigrants with an education to do them.

You are also correct that legal immigrants shouldn't drive down wages for Americans by working for less and that is what illegal aliens do to. You are also correct about the IT industry. Those from India are replacing Americans on their jobs because they pay them less.

These pro-illegals need to stop blurring the lines between legal and illegal by lumping them all under plain ole immigrants. It's blatantely dishonest as they are two entirely unrelated groups.
So that was the point of the OP… it would appear that here is an example of where there is a true shortage of workers and we might want to “import legal immigrants”. Isn’t possible that some of the worker needs we have fall on the unskilled side of the spectrum….I think home healthcare aides fall into this category. We are not talking about nurses, therapists here. These would be people who would help people stay at home…cooking, helping them take meds, bathing them, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2022, 07:26 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,341,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
The relevance is that it serves as a specific example that your hypothesis that immigrants are stealing jobs from Americans is not necessarily true. An estimated 1 million jobs are going unfilled for elder care. You regularly state that immigrants steal jobs from Americans. This would be a simple opportunity to effectively reduce the amount of illegal immigration by creating a visa program for elder care workers. Provides a needed service and gets you off the backs of people who want to come here and work without harming American workers.
No, by your own words, an estimated 1 million more are needed.

Quote:
PHI estimates that the home-care workforce nationally numbers around 2.6 million. About 1 million more home-care workers will be needed by 2030 as the baby-boom generation finishes aging into retirement
I'm sure all the older Americans who are relying on Medicaid to meet their needs would be happy for all kinds of non-English speaking folks to be their health aide.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The peasants crossing our border lack the education and skills to take care of our elderly or to do any job that pays a liveable wage and therefore they become an economic burden to our society. If there truly is a shortage of workers for skilled jobs we will import legal immigrants with an education to do them.

You are also correct that legal immigrants shouldn't drive down wages for Americans by working for less and that is what illegal aliens do to. You are also correct about the IT industry. Those from India are replacing Americans on their jobs because they pay them less.

These pro-illegals need to stop blurring the lines between legal and illegal by lumping them all under plain ole immigrants. It's blatantely dishonest as they are two entirely unrelated groups.
basically any adult human is capable of wiping asses and cleaning rooms. And cooking for large groups.

Now, are they capable of realizing emergency situations and communicating them to somebody? Not if the don't speak English.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
No, by your own words, an estimated 1 million more are needed.

I'm sure all the older Americans who are relying on Medicaid to meet their needs would be happy for all kinds of non-English speaking folks to be their health aide.
Don't follow your first point completely....but yes, I think we are agreeing on what the article stated. Apologies in advance as I have said this a couple of times, but my own thought is immigration would be a plausible means to fill this gap. I am not suggesting home health jobs would be sufficient by itself to fill all of the undocumented immigrants currently in the country (or even all who want to come here).

Regarding the thrust of your second point, I completely agree with you that it would be beneficial to have some training (as you suggested, English skills at a minimum make sense) provided. I don't think that is too heavy a lift though...home health companies presumably have jobs to fill and I suspect a good number of them would be willing to provide some training to staff up to meet demand. Your point is a fair one, but many jobs have a training/learning component...this one would too. On a side note, my own experience is that many non-native speakers who arrive in the US pick up functional English pretty quickly.....what do you think? Are your observations similar? Different?

Old 10-06-2022, 05:08 PM

63,504 posts, read 29,531,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
basically any adult human is capable of wiping asses and cleaning rooms. And cooking for large groups.

Now, are they capable of realizing emergency situations and communicating them to somebody? Not if the don't speak English.
Not to mention their character. The illegal ones have already shown that they have no respect for our immigration laws, commit felony ID theft or tax evasion to work here.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Many old people are NOT capable of wiping their own ass properly. Most homegrown Americans won't do that type of work for darn near any price.

I have taught English as a Second Language to adults (ESL). Many are new arrivals, although sometimes I'll have a student that has been here for decades. I've had students between ages of 18-85 years old. Younger students pick the language up fast. Also, mothers with kids in schools often get a lot of exposure to English and also pick it up fast. That's my observations.
Yeah...the younger kids do seem to pick up English pretty quickly. Guess they pick up a lot in school and from tv.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Don't follow your first point completely....but yes, I think we are agreeing on what the article stated. Apologies in advance as I have said this a couple of times, but my own thought is immigration would be a plausible means to fill this gap. I am not suggesting home health jobs would be sufficient by itself to fill all of the undocumented immigrants currently in the country (or even all who want to come here).

Regarding the thrust of your second point, I completely agree with you that it would be beneficial to have some training (as you suggested, English skills at a minimum make sense) provided. I don't think that is too heavy a lift though...home health companies presumably have jobs to fill and I suspect a good number of them would be willing to provide some training to staff up to meet demand. Your point is a fair one, but many jobs have a training/learning component...this one would too. On a side note, my own experience is that many non-native speakers who arrive in the US pick up functional English pretty quickly.....what do you think? Are your observations similar? Different?
on the "1 million jobs", your statement was "unfilled" (current) but the article said 1 million more by 7-8 years from now. So, that would be ~150K annually to issue visas, if that were the route to go.

My experience and observations are that children, sent to school, will pick up "functional English" but very very few adults do.

Old 10-07-2022, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Many old people are NOT capable of wiping their own ass properly. Most homegrown Americans won't do that type of work for darn near any price.
well, yes of course; I suppose I should have clarified with "physically-well and mentally-aware adult". That's why you need the home health aides, to wipe the butts of the people who can't wipe their own.

Quote:
I have taught English as a Second Language to adults (ESL). Many are new arrivals, although sometimes I'll have a student that has been here for decades. I've had students between ages of 18-85 years old. Younger students pick the language up fast. Also, mothers with kids in schools often get a lot of exposure to English and also pick it up fast. That's my observations.
they may pick up functional, ie a key few words. But they don't become English speakers.

Old 10-07-2022, 10:35 AM

I'd like to see a viable link denoting that very few Americans will work in nursing homes for a fair wage. I'll wait.......

At any rate, if we need foreign workers they'd better come here legally with at least passable English skills and not be willing to work for less than an American.

And once again there is no such thing as an undocumented immigrant they are illegal aliens!

Old 10-07-2022, 10:48 AM

Here's some links denoting the job openings are decreasing so what do we need more immigrants for?

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/u...st-2022-10-04/

There are other businesses that are laying off or closing to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration