Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 11:50 AM

18,596 posts, read 7,463,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Your words are not twisted. You seem to think immigrants aging is a problem, because you believe it means more immigrants will be needed to take care of them.

At this time, as demonstrated above with the job openings, and 3.5% unemployment, we could use some immigrant workers to fill some of these jobs. The US population isn't growing wildly, it is growing slowly now.
That is completely illogical. Some immigrants work (and add to the supply of labor), but all immigrants create a demand for labor. Even there could be such a thing as a "labor shortage" (and there can't be), immigration doesn't change the supply/demand balance (because immigrants do age and have children) except by skewing the quality of the labor force one way or the other depending on the quality of the immigrants. The calculus for guest workers is much different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 08:27 AM

63,503 posts, read 29,523,733 times
This is the illegal immigration forum why are legal immigrants being discussed? Is this the usual blurring of the lines between those two completely different groups?

No immigrant whether they be legal or illegal are needed to fill manual labor, low paying jobs. If Americans can't be found to do them for a fair wage then they just need to fold up and die. The only immigrants we may need are those that come here legally with skills and an education.

Old 10-12-2022, 10:41 AM

24,816 posts, read 13,190,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Interesting. My own experience is that home health care work is generally relatively unskilled….as I mentioned before doing things like cooking, cleaning, helping with bathing/toileting, etc. Still strikes me that as a general matter that it would appear we don’t have sufficient workers to do this work, so increasing the number of visas available to allow more legal immigration might: (a) reduce the numbers of illegal immigrants, and (b) help the US meet a need for workers that is currently unmet. Wouldn’t this improve the cost benefit ratio you mentioned?
Who would be paying for those things? Medicare usually doesn't.

What home health aide services are covered by Medicare?

Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) generally only covers home health aide services such as skilled nursing care, occupational or physical therapy, or speech-language pathology services. If you only need home health aide services for help with bathing, dressing, and other activities of daily living (also known as custodial care), Original Medicare typically doesn’t cover those services.

https://medicare.com/coverage/does-m...-health-aides/

Medicare also has to approve of the home health care aides. If someone is here illegally then there's no way Medicare would approve them.

Most states require home health care aides be licensed. Someone who is here illegally would not be able to be licensed.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:14 AM

3,489 posts, read 1,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Who would be paying for those things? Medicare usually doesn't.

What home health aide services are covered by Medicare?

Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) generally only covers home health aide services such as skilled nursing care, occupational or physical therapy, or speech-language pathology services. If you only need home health aide services for help with bathing, dressing, and other activities of daily living (also known as custodial care), Original Medicare typically doesn’t cover those services.

https://medicare.com/coverage/does-m...-health-aides/

Medicare also has to approve of the home health care aides. If someone is here illegally then there's no way Medicare would approve them.

Most states require home health care aides be licensed. Someone who is here illegally would not be able to be licensed.
They would be paid for by the people who secure the services….some wold likely be paid by benefits from long term care policies held by individuals, some by direct payment from the elderly or their families to the care givers. I never suggested that the government pay…I only pointed out there is apparently more demand for the home health aid than there are workers.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:40 AM

If it were true that we have a shortage of skilled health caregivers we would provide visas for them. Since we haven't what does that tell you? Hiring illegal aliens to do those jobs is unacceptable or bringing in the poor, uneducated and unskilled legally to do them is not in the best interests of those who need aid and certainly not for our economy.

Old 10-12-2022, 11:52 AM

24,816 posts, read 13,190,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
They would be paid for by the people who secure the services….some wold likely be paid by benefits from long term care policies held by individuals, some by direct payment from the elderly or their families to the care givers. I never suggested that the government pay…I only pointed out there is apparently more demand for the home health aid than there are workers.
IF they have supplemental insurance and if that supplemental insurance doesn't have the same requirements that Medicare has with home health care aides. And there's still the factor that most states require home health care aides to be licensed.

Like others, I'm wondering why you posted this thread in the Illegal forum.

Old 10-12-2022, 12:06 PM

18,596 posts, read 7,463,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
What you stated defies logic. Yes labor shortages can exist. You state there can't be a labor shortage. What would make you say that?
I say it because it's a fact. It's axiomatic. If a job isn't being done, the market has decided it doesn't need to be done. If you want a worker, you will always find one if you offer to pay the market rate.

Old 10-12-2022, 03:40 PM

Quote:
IF they have supplemental insurance and if that supplemental insurance doesn't have the same requirements that Medicare has with home health care aides. And there's still the factor that most states require home health care aides to be licensed.

I explained this many posts ago, however, free to ask a moderator to move the thread elsewhere. At this point, I think we’ve pretty much exhausted the discussion on the topic. As usual, nothing really resolved. Seems like there is a lot of that these days.

Old 10-12-2022, 03:52 PM

Quote:

I think the reason is obvious. Pro-illegals always blur the lines between legal and illegal. Also, they are claiming that we need these illegals to do jobs that Americans supposedly won't do and therefore there would be a labor shortage without them. So, they call them plain ole immigrants and want them to continue to come here and stay here whether it be legally or illegally. They fool no one.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think the reason is obvious. Pro-illegals always blur the lines between legal and illegal. Also, they are claiming that we need these illegals to do jobs that Americans supposedly won't do and therefore there would be a labor shortage without them. So, they call them plain ole immigrants and want them to continue to come here and stay here whether it be legally or illegally. They fool no one.
I’m really not that clever. I thought it was an interesting piece, and relevant to the discussion here. Honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration