Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2022, 05:31 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think the reason is obvious. Pro-illegals always blur the lines between legal and illegal. Also, they are claiming that we need these illegals to do jobs that Americans supposedly won't do and therefore there would be a labor shortage without them. So, they call them plain ole immigrants and want them to continue to come here and stay here whether it be legally or illegally. They fool no one.
They fool lots of people. If they didn’t, you wouldn’t have to explain this again and again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2022, 05:38 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
There is nothing relevant about bringing up legal immigration in the illegal immigration forum and lumping both groups under plain ole "immigrants".

Old 10-13-2022, 08:06 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
These numbers make a strong case for more immigrants needed.
A lot of boomers are still working but at the very end of the line. Three of my buddies (72, 74 & 76 years old) are still working but won't be for much longer. As the demographic bulge of boomers age out, there will be a need for replacements. If there aren't enough work visas relatively easily attained, then people will keep using the backdoor, and the govt. is complicit in this of course. It seems the economy is dependent on the cheaper labor that comes with illegal entrants specifically. They are on the public dole where they can get away with it but aren't able to get SS usually. A secondary benefit I suspect is their children are a net positive, despite the usual bad apples that go along with any large group.
there's a readily-available stat called the Labor Force Participation Rate. It tracks by age group, including 65+. You can even find historical data.

The economy isn't dependent at all on cheap, illegal immigrant labor. The economy is dependent on people affording the goods and services they need and want at the price + profit it costs to produce them.

Old 10-13-2022, 08:12 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
One of the recent complaints has been that illegals are sending a little of their hard-earned money home. The plan you are discussing will permit them to save nearly all their money and send all of it home. Seems like a pretty good deal for the workers as long as their health is looked after while they are here working their tails off for us.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remitt...%20the%20world.

That's remittances, which is what you're asking about. The Mexico figure could easily be a little tricky, because there are plenty of folks who legally go back and forth across the border every day working. I don't know if the dollars they earn and get paid for in the US counts since they hold the money in Mexico.

Old 10-13-2022, 11:29 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
There is nothing relevant about bringing up legal immigration in the illegal immigration forum and lumping both groups under plain ole "immigrants".
I understand your point of view, but we disagree. Again, if you feel strongly, please address it with a moderator. I am fine having a third party move the post if they deem it is out of place.

Old 10-18-2022, 04:48 PM

1,059 posts, read 830,236 times
Quote:
...and that leaves behind a very high number.

No. That isn't correct. Many do pick up English and can communicate well in it. What makes you think people aren't capable of learning a second language, if they choose to?
The “if they choose to” is the operative quote. I have found in “diverse” California that Spanish is predominant and used by those coming illegally across the border. Why should they want to learn English when everything is also in Spanish? We are practically bi-lingual since Latinos make up the largest group in California. Granted, English is a difficult language, but many have no interest in learning, including school-aged children who speak Spanish at home. No wonder we rank 37th in public schools pre-K through grade 12 in the US. Ask any teacher in CA public schools and they will state that these non-English speaking children in general hold their classes behind.

Old 10-18-2022, 05:12 PM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
The “if they choose to” is the operative quote. I have found in “diverse” California that Spanish is predominant and used by those coming illegally across the border. Why should they want to learn English when everything is also in Spanish? We are practically bi-lingual since Latinos make up the largest group in California. Granted, English is a difficult language, but many have no interest in learning, including school-aged children who speak Spanish at home. No wonder we rank 37th in public schools pre-K through grade 12 in the US. Ask any teacher in CA public schools and they will state that these non-English speaking children in general hold their classes behind.
I live in So Calif. so we are in the same boat. Everytime I encounter a native Spanish speaker they all seem to prefer Spanish over English if they even know English at all.

I can only imagine how difficult it must be for our teachers having all those Spanish speaking kids in their classrooms. It really hit home when I passed by a school letting out and there was nothing but a sea of Latino looking kids on the grounds. Granted some of them were probably here legally and do speak English but I'd be willing to bet that a good many of them are either here illegally or that they are anchor babies and their English is limited.

Old 10-19-2022, 02:00 PM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
The relevance is that it serves as a specific example that your hypothesis that immigrants are stealing jobs from Americans is not necessarily true. An estimated 1 million jobs are going unfilled for elder care. You regularly state that immigrants steal jobs from Americans. This would be a simple opportunity to effectively reduce the amount of illegal immigration by creating a visa program for elder care workers. Provides a needed service and gets you off the backs of people who want to come here and work without harming American workers.
We had this little pandemic where it seems many people decided to leave their jobs, especially in health care where there was a high risk of Covid and extreme mask and vaccine mandates. Increasing visas for elder care workers is not the answer nor will it reduce the amount of illegal immigration.

Decent wage, reasonable hours, drop mask/vaccine restrictions, provide training and jobs will be filled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration