Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 06:27 PM

63,038 posts, read 29,243,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
while certainly not an illegal immigration point, I don't think you understand what your link means. Your link actually shows we should accept more legal immigrants, so long as they aren't allowed to become a burden on the people/taxpayers/budget.
So that means skilled and educated immigrants not the poor, unskilled and uneducated illegal aliens we are getting from south of our border who are a burden to the taxpayer.

Look I know the OP and the other pro-illegals in here want the latter to be able to come here legally so they frame it as just needing immigrants when it is really the latter they are rallying for whom we don't need. They also want those already here to be able to remain here by making them legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 07:12 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,021,320 times
This is one of those things people approve of when they aren't the ones that have to deal with it. You can see this in how liberals have responded to illegals being bussed into their neighborhoods. They were all for illegal immigration until they were the ones that had to deal with it. The same is true here. It sounds good on paper until you're the one that has to experience the consequences.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:46 PM

22,503 posts, read 12,049,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Growth rate .38%. I'd say that is very slow growth. Some metropolitan areas are growing...and many others are shrinking.

That is good. One job down, several million to go.
If it is a myth, we wouldn't need immigration at all. As it stands even with immigration and illegal immigration, there are still jobs unfilled.

Is that a problem for you if legal immigrants age after decades of work? Robots don't age but we don't have the technology to have a robot change a 90-year old's diaper. So as long as we have a need for immigration we should continue.

Who brought up the 'evil liberals' or 'leftists'? Perhaps you are so concerned about Democrats, leftists, and liberals, that you have lost sight of other more important things.
More areas are growing than are shrinking. You don't travel much, do you? Do you not care that there are areas that are running out of potable water and buildable land?

I noticed that you avoided dealing with the fact that leftists wring their hands about the environment but at the same time are cheering on hyper immigration. Doing so is hypocritical. Does pointing out these facts make you uncomfortable?

Nobody said it was a problem if people age. Stop twisting words. It's just a fact that when these immigrants age, they will need care. What you propose is a never ending stream of immigrants.

No one ever said we don't need immigration at all. Again, you're twisting words. As for jobs going unfilled --- Employers need to offer better wages and better benefits. If they don't do that, jobs won't get filled.

As for your "one job down several million to go". I call nonsense. Again, Americans are doing these jobs---more of them than you might think.

As it was pointed out before, immigrants who will take these jobs will need a good command of English as well as be able to read and write in English. They will also need to have stringent background checks as they will be working with vulnerable people. Certain countries don't keep good records so a thorough background check is not possible. Do you even care? It's more than just changing diapers. I suggest you read up on this issue.

Old 10-09-2022, 02:24 AM

22,503 posts, read 12,049,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
Wrong! I've been to roughly 3/4's of the US. And 4 continents. Try again. Most areas are growing but there are a lot of areas begging for people to come live there.

YOU brought this subject up, not me. It isn't my responsibility to deal with your little pet peeves about 'leftists'. Does it make you feel uncomfortable if I let you ramble to yourself on this one?

No need to twist your words...I can quote them here below. You clearly phrased your comment as if aging of immigrants is a problem. Do you want to rephrase your comment, because as it stands, you DO have a problem with immigrants aging.

Your reading comprehension needs a lot of work. I never stated anything about YOU saying we didn't need immigration at all. Reread what I wrote and try writing something relevant, rather than responding to a point that I never made.
You do realize that many people don't want to live in rural areas because of the lack of jobs. Besides, we do need farm land.

Twisting words yet again. We're all going to age. You don't get the point. You say bring in immigrants to take these jobs. What happens when they age? Do we keep bringing in more and more?

Don't bother responding. I'm done with you. Buh bye!

Old 10-09-2022, 12:12 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,451,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
This is one of those things people approve of when they aren't the ones that have to deal with it. You can see this in how liberals have responded to illegals being bussed into their neighborhoods. They were all for illegal immigration until they were the ones that had to deal with it. The same is true here. It sounds good on paper until you're the one that has to experience the consequences.
I think that there is a significant degree of truth in this. It does seem to me that a lot of the burden of illegal immigration is born by the border states. I believe in comprehensive immigration reform along the lines I’ve mentioned earlier, but until that happens, if the Federal Government isn’t going to get a better grip on the large number of undocumented individuals crossing into the US, the entire country should have an obligation to deal with the issue. I suppose that could mean giving a lot more money to border states to deal with immigrants (shelter, food, medical care, etc) or having non-border states share the burden of providing services to these folks. It’s not particularly fair to make Texas, Arizona, California, etc. mostly responsible for this.

Old 10-09-2022, 11:29 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,398,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
This is behind a paywall, so you may not be able to see it. Briefly, it addresses the shortage of home health care workers and the impact it is having on the elderly who wish to stay in their home as they age. Below are a few excerpts from the article for this who cannot access it:

"The shortage of health care workers is like nothing we’ve seen before,” said Ruth Martynowicz, chief operating officer for Michigan-based Trinity Health At Home, part of a large Catholic health system. Trinity Health At Home said recently it was turning away 250 home-care requests per week across its 11-state network, which is mostly in the Northeast and Upper Midwest."

"The shortage of workers is threatening the option of aging at home for people up and down the economic scale — whether they qualify for government Medicaid, have medical conditions that qualify for Medicare coverage, or must pay out of pocket."

PHI estimates that the home-care workforce nationally numbers around 2.6 million. About 1 million more home-care workers will be needed by 2030 as the baby-boom generation finishes aging into retirement — what demographers call the “Silver Tsunami.”

Strikes me as a pretty good example of jobs the US is having trouble filling...and our inability to do so is negatively impacting the elderly and infirm. Since we have many, many people who want to come to the US and work, and these jobs are relatively low-skill (Cooking, Cleaning, Changing Linens, Helping People Bathe/Toilet, Shopping, etc.) it would make a lot of sense to expand US immigration policy.

Pretty interesting article actually.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...e-health-care/
There is NEVER a need for immigration, except to prevent an invasion by different, less desirable immigrants. We must leave it to the market to deal with this problem, which is itself caused at least partly by immigration. Immigration has decreased the quality of our human capital, making competition for competent employees more intense. More immigration will just make the problem worse. It will also make all our other problems worse.

Old 10-09-2022, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
The relevance is that it serves as a specific example that your hypothesis that immigrants are stealing jobs from Americans is not necessarily true.
No, it proves the contrary. Americans would do these jobs if employers paid them the market rate to do them. But employers refuse to do so.

Old 10-09-2022, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
3.5% unemployment would indicate that we do need more legal immigrant workers.
No, it wouldn't.

Old 10-10-2022, 03:23 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,451,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, it wouldn't.
Hard to argue with logic like that. Based on your previous few posts, you will fit in quite well here.

Old 10-10-2022, 05:40 PM

26,003 posts, read 22,198,629 times
https://www.businessinsider.com/more...hortage-2022-7

"But even as the unemployment rate stayed low at 3.6% for the fourth consecutive month, and job growth boomed across industries, some workers were giving up on work altogether and left the labor force. In June, the labor force participation rate — which measures the number of people who were working or actively looking for work — dipped."

So, we have the workers, and most of these will be supported by the taxpayers or from working under-the-table, so we don't need to import dead weight!

Vote out the liberals! They must go in order to get these people off welfare and to work. The last thing we need are a bunch of illegal aliens pushing out anchor babies we pay to deliver and raise. Voting WILL, (MUST) make a difference.

The only ones supporting this have something to gain personally. We don't need illegal aliens and all the cost and problems they bring.

Early voting begins soon! Try and help make a difference. We need this open door to 3rd world economic immigrants as we have almost a million homeless individuals in our country, while these illegals are sucking down billions of dollars.

Some people living in the more unpopulated states may not realize what it is like for the rest of us:

https://calmatters.org/california-di...ed-immigrants/

"An estimated 2 million undocumented individuals live in California with about 1.1 million of that population participating in the workforce."

https://www.americanimmigrationcounc...nts-in-wyoming

"5,000 undocumented immigrants comprised 32 percent of the immigrant population and 1 percent of the total state population in 2016."

https://www.ppic.org/publication/imm...in-california/

"More than half (53%) of California’s immigrants are naturalized US citizens, and another 25% have some other legal status (including green cards and visas). According to the Center for Migration Studies, about 22% of immigrants in California are undocumented. From 2010 to 2019, the number of undocumented immigrants in the state declined from 2.9 million to 2.3 million."

So, let's see, I'm guessing the case is "illegal immigration is great, as long as it isn't in my front yard". We see it on the national level. Maybe those extra million undocumented workers in CA that aren't working could be transferred to a state like WY. Nothing like having a firsthand experience to actually have knowledge of the reality!

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 10-10-2022 at 06:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration