Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 01:55 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisal1902 View Post
This is a circular argument. Pages ago we already went through the subject of greedy employers who want cheap, exploitable labor and politicians who want to appease the greedy employers and/or toe the PC line. You disagree and think it's great and necessary. Enough said.

The influx has been going on for far longer than two decades. It has accelerated greatly in the last decade or so. The place "made" for illegals and their offspring and families has been greatly detrimental to the state I live in -- Texas. Don't take my word for it. Read about this state's overloaded schools, hospitals, infrastructure, law enforcement, social services, and all else. Texas is staggering under this load. Unlike you, not everyone has experienced a rosy glow from unchecked illegal migration.
You're right. The only reason that the employers hire these illegals is not due to an American labor shortage but wanting cheap, exploitable illegal labor instead to increase their profits of which they just pocket and pass little to nothing on to the consumer but what they do pass on to the taxpayer are their enormous social costs. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying to themselves and is in deep denial of the truth. The pro-illegals do this all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2024, 01:58 PM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,499 times
Quote:
This is a circular argument. Pages ago we already went through the subject of greedy employers who want cheap, exploitable labor and politicians who want to appease the greedy employers and/or toe the PC line. You disagree and think it's great and necessary. Enough said.
'We' didn't go over anything.
I've read the 'greedy employer' line several hundred times here, and it is only partially correct. Most employers just want a group of honest hard-working employees. That isn't greed.

Quote:

The influx has been going on for far longer than two decades. It has accelerated greatly in the last decade or so. The place "made" for illegals and their offspring and families has been greatly detrimental to the state I live in -- Texas. Don't take my word for it. Read about this state's overloaded schools, hospitals, infrastructure, law enforcement, social services, and all else. Texas is staggering under this load. Unlike you, not everyone has experienced a rosy glow from unchecked illegal migration.
Texas is a border state and will have growing pains to go along with the benefits of being the fastest growing state. California has some of the same issues to contend with. *
Texas has the fastest growing economy in the nation, so not all the numbers don't agree with your statement.

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/texa...omic-expansion

Old 01-08-2024, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
You're right. The only reason that the employers hire these illegals is not due to an American labor shortage but wanting cheap, exploitable illegal labor instead to increase their profits of which they just pocket and pass little to nothing on to the consumer but what they do pass on to the taxpayer are their enormous social costs. Anyone who claims otherwise is lying to themselves and is in deep denial of the truth. The pro-illegals do this all the time.
I'll have to disagree with your reasoning. You are attempting to speak for the entire community of employers and your reasoning is off base. Most employers would like to have legal workers, but from what I've seen they are also willing to hiring illegals (With phony papers) if they have no takers. They receive a paycheck with payroll deductions just like anybody else. There aren't enough job legal job seekers in many sectors of the economy.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:35 PM

6,441 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
.........They receive a paycheck with payroll deductions just like anybody else. There aren't enough job legal job seekers in many sectors of the economy.
How do you have withholdings for illegal workers? They don't (or should I say they shouldn't) have legitimate SS numbers, therefore they shouldn't have jobs that American workers could be doing.

Old 01-08-2024, 03:48 PM

25,958 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticking View Post
I just don't see any president deporting 25million to 79million people in the US. It is a fairy tale.

My impression is the majority of lawmakers believe the influx of illegals has been a net positive for the country. We have taken a lot of the most productive and physically able people from their home countries and put them to work here.
Not a fairy tale at all. As I said, make schools, hospitals, medical clinics all mandated reporters combined with workplace raids and it will move along much quicker and smoother than you might think! Also, they have a phone number to report illegals and I believe many would report them if they knew they would actually be removed.

Lawmakers? There aren't enough of them to elect a POTUS, do the math! Also, many that support illegals may find themselves in the unemployment lines in the next year.

Net gain? Only for those that exploit them, and in the minds of those so ignorant not to realize what is going on!

As we toss the first groups out of the country, others may volunteer to get their crap together and haul tail out of our country before they are removed and deported at a moment's notice. I saw it before when Trump was POTUS, they were loading up their crap and leaving town, jobs were opening at Tyson's, the sign went out for maybe a week, and jobs were filled. Many were afraid if they were here illegally that they would not be able to go home to visit if the border was secured.

We can get this done! Illegals and fake asylum seekers GO HOME!

***If a mandated reporter does not "report" they will be breaking the law, so then we could take action against them, which might convince them to follow the law.

Old 01-08-2024, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Not a fairy tale at all. As I said, make schools, hospitals, medical clinics all mandated reporters combined with workplace raids and it will move along much quicker and smoother than you might think! Also, they have a phone number to report illegals and I believe many would report them if they knew they would actually be removed.

Lawmakers? There aren't enough of them to elect a POTUS, do the math! Also, many that support illegals may find themselves in the unemployment lines in the next year.

Net gain? Only for those that exploit them, and in the minds of those so ignorant not to realize what is going on!

As we toss the first groups out of the country, others may volunteer to get their crap together and haul tail out of our country before they are removed and deported at a moment's notice
. I saw it before when Trump was POTUS, they were loading up their crap and leaving town, jobs were opening at Tyson's, the sign went out for maybe a week, and jobs were filled. Many were afraid if they were here illegally that they would not be able to go home to visit if the border was secured.

We can get this done! Illegals and fake asylum seekers GO HOME!

***If a mandated reporter does not "report" they will be breaking the law, so then we could take action against them, which might convince them to follow the law.
Fantastical post, it just won't ever happen. The vast majority of the illegals that are already here will be here to stay. Preventing as many in the future is possible. The only thing that will convince you is time, so in a year or two you will see.

Quote:
If employers want "honest" employees, why are they hiring people who have entered this country illegally?
If employers based honesty on never doing anything, saying anything, or posting anything that was false, there would be nobody employed anywhere. The reality is most employers will easily look past the illegality of an employee and their possible fake papers because they know that is how the system has been working for the past couple decades at least.
Quote:
"Growing pains?" "Fastest growing economy?" You must be joking. You have no idea what it's like living here with unchecked illegal migration.
Yes I do actually. Being where I am in California, I see a lot...unless you are saying Texas is a lot worse than California as it pertains to illegals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
How do you have withholdings for illegal workers? They don't (or should I say they shouldn't) have legitimate SS numbers, therefore they shouldn't have jobs that American workers could be doing.
Employers just shuffle the paperwork they are given from the employee. Whatever number they are given they use. The employer is often just happy to have somebody who is willing to work. One consequence for the illegal employee is he likely won't be able to collect the SS he is contributing to.

Old 01-08-2024, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
They commit felony ID theft by either using someone's SS# or using a fake one. Many are working for cash where there are no taxes withheld aka tax evasion. A real charming bunch.

Old 01-08-2024, 05:52 PM

Quote:
"We" = posters, not you and me. It is a circular argument. If employers want "honest" employees, why are they hiring people who have entered this country illegally?

"Growing pains?" "Fastest growing economy?" You must be joking. You have no idea what it's like living here with unchecked illegal migration.

Your rosy view doesn't jibe with the reality.
It doesn't matter why the employers hire illegal workers as they are breaking the law either way. The fact remains though that most of them are doing so out of greed.

Old 01-08-2024, 09:20 PM

Quote:
You first stated most employers want "honest" employees. Then you sidestep, saying "If employers based honesty on ... there would be nobody employed anywhere." Then you go on to say, "The reality is most employers ... past couple decades at least." So what is it? Do they or don't they want the "honest" employees you mentioned? A straightforward answer without the dancing around word salad, please.
I'm fine with how I stated everything, you seem to have difficulty with your understanding though so I'll try to spell it out better for you. Employers OBVIOUSLY want honest employees and many don't view crossing the border illegally and securing the paperwork to be employable as being a problem Isn't that obvious enough? The illegals are working, and it is employers that are hiring them. Seems pretty obvious. This is how the system works...while the real system is and has been broken.

Quote:
It doesn't matter why the employers hire illegal workers as they are breaking the law either way. The fact remains though that most of them are doing so out of greed.
Businesses do need to make money no doubt. I disagree though on the greed statement. Employers need workers and hire whoever can get the job done and let the government worry about fixing the system.

Old 01-09-2024, 05:01 AM

6,441 posts, read 3,143,427 times
Quote:
They commit felony ID theft by either using someone's SS# or using a fake one. Many are working for cash where there are no taxes withheld aka tax evasion. A real charming bunch.
Obviously, you fully understood what I was getting at...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration