Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 04:36 PM

355 posts, read 842,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
I think reporting the business is all that's necessary.
I guess you sleep well at night knowing you've spent a long day boycotting Wal-Mart, despite (unknowingly) supporting imported goods, such as soccer balls or everyday textiles, that arrive at the hands of underage laborers in sweatshops. I guess as long as its not in your backyard, right?

And households can be considered as businesses in many situations. Ever considered how much a household can save in wages if there is a stay-at-home parent available to cook, clean, do laundry, and transport children to a fro? Households that rely on illegal labor are just as guilty as large corporations and should not be brushed to the side because of 'convenience' or what have you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 04:37 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,085,833 times
If we crack down on hiring illegals, this will greatly reduce the illegal immigrant problem America has and give the jobs back to the American citzens! If those illegals cant find work to do, they will stop comming!

Old 02-11-2007, 05:31 PM

10,178 posts, read 11,165,274 times
Quote:
And households can be considered as businesses in many situations. Ever considered how much a household can save in wages if there is a stay-at-home parent available to cook, clean, do laundry, and transport children to a fro? Households that rely on illegal labor are just as guilty as large corporations and should not be brushed to the side because of 'convenience' or what have you.
I absolutely agree - People who hire them to tend to their lawns and what not, are just as guilty as these businesses.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:04 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
I guess you sleep well at night knowing you've spent a long day boycotting Wal-Mart, despite (unknowingly) supporting imported goods, such as soccer balls or everyday textiles, that arrive at the hands of underage laborers in sweatshops. I guess as long as its not in your backyard, right?

I sleep just fine at night and days also, thanks for asking. If a household has full time help such as a live in nanny etc, sure they should be reported and just as guilty..I agree. But if they only hire Jose and Hector to mow their lawn once a week, there's nothing you can do about that. No agency would waste their time to investigate something like that. I'm not a big supporter of imported goods, IMO companies like Wal-Mart, their owners should be forced to live in the counrty where their products are made.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:04 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,467,611 times
One's anger towards illegal immigrants being in the United States, has no correlation with employeers hiring desperate illegal immigrants. Your concern is not the fact illegal immigrants are being paid unfair low wages by some employeers, but rather a disgust for an illegal's presence in your nation fueling your intent on employeers being prosecuted.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:23 PM

The problem, however, is that the majority of Americans have absolutely not an idea of the how, where, when, why of the goods they consume daily.

For example, I'm an avid soccer fan. I've played the sport for many years and enjoy watching it on television. Until last year's World Cup, I had no idea beyond Nike's widely publicized 'sweatshop scandals' that the vast majority of all soccer balls are made in third world countries such as Pakistan and most often hand sewn by children. Of course in the ten years since the controversy surfaced, the industry has seen drastic improvements and oversight from FIFA and other companies. Yet, soccer moms across America didn't (and don't) flinch at buying a ball for each kid at the start of each season.

Anyways, the point is that its too easy to point the finger at Corporate America and giants such as Wal-Mart, yet unknowingly our society promotes goods and services via illegal immigrant and child labor.

Old 02-11-2007, 06:56 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
One's anger towards illegal immigrants being in the United States, has no correlation with employeers hiring desperate illegal immigrants. Your concern is not the fact illegal immigrants are being paid unfair low wages by some employeers, but rather a disgust for an illegal's presence in your nation fueling your intent on employeers being prosecuted.
Employers should be prosecuted and handed a severe penalty for hiring illegals, it's a major step in the right direction. I for one don't like illegals in this country and don't hide my dislike for them being here. I for one don't think our tax dollars should support most of these people. The only people that benefit from them are the employers. I'll ask you a question I asked another poster, you say these people are poor and desperate.

1. Where do they get the thousands of dollars to pay a coyote?

2. Where do they get the money for traveling once across the border?

3. Most all I see drive fairly new vehicles, where does the money come from?

4. Most all I see wear fairly expensive clothes, where does the money come from?

you say these people are poor and desperate, how do they do this?

Just like the other poster I doubt that I'll get a responce.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
The only people that benefit from them are the employers.

4. Most all I see wear fairly expensive clothes, where does the money come from?

Analyze Your First Statement, I don't want to blow it up.

1. How would I know? Remember, uncivilized, third world nation, they are probably getting it from stolen vehicle car parts.

2. Money For Traveling Across The Border? The Bus Fare? The Amigo Restaurant? Once they're in a town, they ain't buying a postcard. There getting picked up immediately by a friend or family member.

3. New Vehicles- Why would a illegal immigrant on average have a nicer car than an American?

4. Expensive Clothes-(I have never seen a day laborer with expensive clothing) Maybe, it's different in Tennessee.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
1, 2. Illegal immigrants don't bask in swimming pools filled with twenty dollar bills prior to emigrating, if that's what you're implying. Just like any other working person, they save money. What may take a middle-class American a year or so to save a thousand dollars, may take an illegal immigrant ten years or a lifetime to save enough to warrant a coyote's services.

3,4. Like any other consumer in America, I'm sure the illegal immigrants purchased those items with hard earned money. Whether its from legitimate sources, no one can know for sure. The same questioned can be posed for those that live in seemingly disasterous ghettos, yet somehow manage to drive a nice sedan with a system and rims.

If illegal immigrants were inherently made of so much money, they wouldn't need to come to America. They'd be able to enjoy their 'brand new SUVs' and faux designer clothes in whichever country they originated from.

Is that a sufficient response? I'd recommend that you take a gander at Maria Full of Grace and El Norte. Both are foreign language films and provide honest but different depictions of the plight of illegal immigrants en route to America. The former touches on the drug smuggling and human trafficking epidemics and the latter on the more traditional on foot journey.

Old 02-11-2007, 07:38 PM

Silence is Golden! Love the Snoop Dogg Pool, Amavel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration