Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 08:01 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,499,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amavel View Post
1, 2. Illegal immigrants don't bask in swimming pools filled with twenty dollar bills prior to emigrating, if that's what you're implying. Just like any other working person, they save money. What may take a middle-class American a year or so to save a thousand dollars, may take an illegal immigrant ten years or a lifetime to save enough to warrant a coyote's services.

3,4. Like any other consumer in America, I'm sure the illegal immigrants purchased those items with hard earned money. Whether its from legitimate sources, no one can know for sure. The same questioned can be posed for those that live in seemingly disasterous ghettos, yet somehow manage to drive a nice sedan with a system and rims.

If illegal immigrants were inherently made of so much money, they wouldn't need to come to America. They'd be able to enjoy their 'brand new SUVs' and faux designer clothes in whichever country they originated from.

Is that a sufficient response? I'd recommend that you take a gander at Maria Full of Grace and El Norte. Both are foreign language films and provide honest but different depictions of the plight of illegal immigrants en route to America. The former touches on the drug smuggling and human trafficking epidemics and the latter on the more traditional on foot journey.

LMAO, you really crack me up sometimes with all the excuses you can come up with for these people.sheesh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 08:24 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,499,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
Analyze Your First Statement, I don't want to blow it up.

1. How would I know? Remember, uncivilized, third world nation, they are probably getting it from stolen vehicle car parts.

2. Money For Traveling Across The Border? The Bus Fare? The Amigo Restaurant? Once they're in a town, they ain't buying a postcard. There getting picked up immediately by a friend or family member.

3. New Vehicles- Why would a illegal immigrant on average have a nicer car than an American?

4. Expensive Clothes-(I have never seen a day laborer with expensive clothing) Maybe, it's different in Tennessee.

Take a trip through my area sometime, I can show you lots of mexicans driving new vehicles and wearing designer clothes... lots of gold jewelry. I know some of these people don't have much, but all of these people that come here are not poor.

Old 02-11-2007, 08:31 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,472,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim280 View Post
Take a trip through my area sometime, I can show you lots of mexicans driving new vehicles and wearing designer clothes... lots of gold jewelry. I know some of these people don't have much, but all of these people that come here are not poor.
Illegal huh?! Gosh darn I knew it.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:09 AM

30,407 posts, read 52,039,429 times
Quote:
Employers should be prosecuted and handed a severe penalty for hiring illegals, it's a major step in the right direction. I for one don't like illegals in this country and don't hide my dislike for them being here. I for one don't think our tax dollars should support most of these people. The only people that benefit from them are the employers. I'll ask you a question I asked another poster, you say these people are poor and desperate.

1. Where do they get the thousands of dollars to pay a coyote?

2. Where do they get the money for traveling once across the border?

3. Most all I see drive fairly new vehicles, where does the money come from?

4. Most all I see wear fairly expensive clothes, where does the money come from?

you say these people are poor and desperate, how do they do this?

Just like the other poster I doubt that I'll get a responce.
I don't know about your neck of the woods, but I don't see many recent immigrants (illegal OR legal) driving new cars & wearing fancy clothing. In fact, the majority of bus-riders in my town are immigrants of the Spanish-speaking variety. And for the few that do have nice stuff, I'm sure they worked hard for it, just like anyone else in this country. They also usually have friends and relatives here, who will help them out when they first arrive - just as I hope you'd do for your loved ones.

Btw, lots of people from all races wear knock-offs... are you sure their "Gucci" sunglasses aren't really "Gocci"?

Old 02-12-2007, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Of course they're not ALL poor, but overall they have much less than the average American...

Old 02-12-2007, 12:16 AM

355 posts, read 843,279 times
Quote:
LMAO, you really crack me up sometimes with all the excuses you can come up with for these people.sheesh
Those aren't excuses, they are logical answers to the questions you posed and sarcastically assumed no one could/would answer. If you prefer that your pseudo-rhetorical questions not be answered in the future, perhaps you should include a post script. Otherwise, continue to mock my responses because you're unable to refute them...

Old 02-12-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
It don't seem like a dangerous idea around here, they have never hurt a business that didn't deserve it. All the businesses they exposed here were in fact working illegals. They just don't exposed a business like that because someone reports it, they do their own leg work to make sure the business does in fact employ illegal aliens... then they expose it.

One success story here near me.

I just wanted to let you know that we found out we were on this website and investigated what had been reported. I am a new owner of this business and was not aware of the hiring practices that had been going on. We took over this businesss in January of this year. In my finds I had found that we did have illegal aliens working at our restaurant. I let go 20 employees within one work day due to illigitimate papers. "
--Chad Head, Corky's BBQ, Brentwood, TN
For every success story, I could probably find one that was mistakenly accused. I'm not saying they're all incorrect, but the fact is that it's a site where ANYONE can "contribute"... I don't trust it, for the same reason my professors didn't accept Wikipedia as a source - because any Joe Schmo can provide content. I read through some of that website, and many of them had "proof" that was merely opinion or ignorance (like thinking anyone who speaks Spanish is illegal).

Old 02-12-2007, 12:46 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,193,858 times
Quote:
Did you ever stop and think that these people might be legal and not illegal immigrants? New vehicles, designer clothes and gold jewelry cost MONEY! They are also products produced by American companies -- so the American companies are making money selling to these Mexicans. There are no Mexican clothing designers and no Mexican car companies -- not that I know of anyway.

Old 02-12-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't know about your neck of the woods, but I don't see many recent immigrants (illegal OR legal) driving new cars & wearing fancy clothing.
Here in Los Angeles, there are quite a few recent immigrants (or maybe they are tourists) who are VERY wealthy. There is a Korean mall in Koreatown that carries merchandise most Americans couldn't afford to buy. We were in a watch shop there and they told us that their watches went all the way to $500,000. (They had Harry Winston watches -- along with the regular Rolex, Patek Phillipe, Omega, etc.) The mall is so incredibly high end, it's unreal.

Also, there are many immigrants who come here on investment visas. In other words, they have much money and they are here to invest.

I had a customer from Mexico who spends 1/2 her time in Mexico and the other half in Texas. Her husband is part owner of a global company, a really big global company that I knew the minute she mentioned the name of it.

Remember the guy who wrecked his Ferarri on PCH? He was here on a visa from Sweden.

So -- yeah! There are immigrants who are loaded with money -- but I believe most of them are here legally.

Old 02-12-2007, 01:12 AM

Quote:
I'm not a big supporter of imported goods, IMO companies like Wal-Mart, their owners should be forced to live in the counrty where their products are made.
What products do you buy then? Hardly anything is made in the USA, so why don't you tell us what you buy? I'd be curious to know what you are spending your money on. Also, if you don't buy at Wal-Mart, where do you shop?

I'm going to tell you a story and I hope you will take this to heart. I used to work in Advertising. One of our big customers was having his product manufactured in Asia, then was having it shipped to the USA where illegals would put tags that said "Made in the USA" on the product. To me, this is terribly "not right" but he explained that the tag was "made in the USA" so to him, he wasn't violating any law. (This was 20 years ago. I don't know if he still does this.)

I suppose the equivalent would be American car companies that manufacture most of the auto components (and frequently, the entire car) outside of the USA -- but because they are an "American car company" we think we are getting a product made by Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration