Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 05:45 AM

4,548 posts, read 6,842,739 times

Advertisements

Many people have complained about the problems associated with illegal immigrants. Many companies in the United States actively pursue workers with need skills especially in engineering, medicine, and technology areas because they can't find enough people here with the needed background.

Whose fault is that? It is our own. My experience as an educator has been that many capable students would rather take an easier path in education. Immigrants from countries where education is valued recognize the opportunities our country has to offer and capitalize on them by seeking the most they can from our public education.

America was built on the hard work and contributions of our immigrants. Other than the Native Americans we are immigrants or decendents of immigrants. What we need for success is a modern-day view of the melting pot. We need to recognize that, as citizens, we are Americans first, that is our uniting bond! Our ethnic heritage is what makes each of unique and interesting. This spirit needs to be reignited in our people and clearly apparent to new arrivals.

I have listed some of my thoughts on my website lincolnians.org under "A Lincolnian Party Vision for America." An excerpt from that piece is listed below. This platform is a philosophical starting point for honest discussion of some of Americas challenges going forward in this century. I encourage your response.

From "A Lincolnian Party Vision for America"

Citizenship:

Allow every non-citizen currently residing in the United States to register for citizenship subject to the following:

The petitioning guest resident must not have a criminal background nor commit any crime within their guest residency period.

The petitioning guest resident pledges allegiance to respect the laws of the United States and the principles set forth in the Constitution of the United States.

The petitioning guest resident must demonstrate a functional level of proficiency in English and the history of the United States within a specified period of time.

The petitioning guest resident must remain employed, capable of sustaining employment, or capable of providing for themselves and dependents while a guest resident of the United States.

Consider the granting of guest resident visas subject to the following:

All of the above requirements for current guest residents;

Fast-track admission preference for documented skills in U.S. shortage areas such as medicine, technology, engineering, and science.

Security:

Establish a national worker’s identification card containing a photograph, home address, and citizen status (resident or guest resident/expiration date).

Verification of status could be checked by scanning the card through the current banking system network or verified at any local bank or town hall.

Make it unlawful to employ or provide housing for any worker that does not have or be able to provide a national identification card prior to beginning work or establishing residence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 06:40 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,708,113 times
I have NO PROBLEM with immigrants, both sides of my family came over from Germany during the war and Ireland during the famine. Both Legally. Most of what you stated is fair. Although alot I have met have No intensions of becoming citizens, they just want land and retirement in Mexico. You also need to put in there the huge stiff penalties for employers that hire those illegals that have no intensions of becoming citizens.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:17 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,479,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;366320
No intensions of becoming citizens.
What about those millions of American flags I saw on "a day without immigrants?" Did they not desire to assimilate into American culture?

Old 02-14-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
What about those millions of American flags I saw on "a day without immigrants?" Did they not desire to assimilate into American culture?
They were showing you what you wanted to see, otherwise there would be a big surge in applications for citizenship, they wouldnt have sung OUR national anthem in Spanish changing the words, and so on. I am sure there are many that would, but I believe the majority would not. They would have to give up citizenship in Mexico and thats not what they came here for.

Old 02-14-2007, 08:06 AM

There's already a large surge in applications for citizenship. I've talked to numerous Latino kids who tell me their parents wait years for the papers to arrive in the mail. How many people changed the National Anthem to Spanish? What if they couldn't receive Citizenship in Mexico and they are poor?

Old 02-14-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
There's already a large surge in applications for citizenship. I've talked to numerous Latino kids who tell me their parents wait years for the papers to arrive in the mail. How many people changed the National Anthem to Spanish? What if they couldn't receive Citizenship in Mexico and they are poor?
Thousands sang it!!! And they are already Mexican citizens before coming here!!! And from what I have read those applicants applying are in another country waiting, or are here on workers visas and have green cards ( which you need to have to apply for citizenship while living here ,not fake ones) and are legally able to be here. And I have talked to hundreds and hundreds over the years that say they have no interest in becoming citizens. And so have many others on this forum.

Last edited by Nea1; 02-14-2007 at 08:41 AM..

Old 02-14-2007, 09:48 AM

I don't understand how some Americans can stratch their heads and wonder why illegal immigrants are feeling threatened in this nation. The ruthlessly negative feelings would threaten my existence, and how I view myself. Many feel like they are not liked or respected.

Old 02-14-2007, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I don't understand how some Americans can stratch their heads and wonder why illegal immigrants are feeling threatened in this nation. The ruthlessly negative feelings would threaten my existence, and how I view myself. Many feel like they are not liked or respected.
Gee same goes for us!!!! We feel threatned as well. I dont sratch my head and wonder, the ones I have dealt with DONT CARE!!!!! And I dont respect them. I dont know them to say I dont like them, but since they only see to be asking, taking and not giving, why should I? I havent heard a thanks from them for letting them take these jobs, or for paying all the costs they leave behind.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:18 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,406,045 times
I already made a topic about a solution. However, it's much easier to bicker about the problem than it is to come to a compromise.

I've noticed a surge of immigrants in my city. My county has barely 30,000 people in it. And now they want to make it better for those that speak don't speak English... SORRY FOLKS... You don't speak the language you don't get the services... It's that simple.

I don't care how harsh it sounds I really don't. Most of my ancestors were immigrants... That desired to come here legally... They worked on the railroad lived so many to a cabin, harsh working conditions... Yes, they had it rough, but am I allowed to bring up the past in something about this? Heck no! Because oh, it's unfair to the Illegals/Immigrants of today... Unfair that's a load of BS... Was it fair for some of my ancestors to work for no pay, to live too many to a house, to be boiled alive in the heat working on the railroad. Or how about some of my other ancestors, to be forced off their lands and have to bow down to the American government, because they wanted the land... Don't tell me what a "hard life" is... My ancestors got crapped on every which way. If the immigrants of today can't take it... DEAL WITH IT.

Old 02-14-2007, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
I already made a topic about a solution. However, it's much easier to bicker about the problem than it is to come to a compromise.

I've noticed a surge of immigrants in my city. My county has barely 30,000 people in it. And now they want to make it better for those that speak don't speak English... SORRY FOLKS... You don't speak the language you don't get the services... It's that simple.

I don't care how harsh it sounds I really don't. Most of my ancestors were immigrants... That desired to come here legally... They worked on the railroad lived so many to a cabin, harsh working conditions... Yes, they had it rough, but am I allowed to bring up the past in something about this? Heck no! Because oh, it's unfair to the Illegals/Immigrants of today... Unfair that's a load of BS... Was it fair for some of my ancestors to work for no pay, to live too many to a house, to be boiled alive in the heat working on the railroad. Or how about some of my other ancestors, to be forced off their lands and have to bow down to the American government, because they wanted the land... Don't tell me what a "hard life" is... My ancestors got crapped on every which way. If the immigrants of today can't take it... DEAL WITH IT.

Mine too worked the railroad, (wonder if our families knew each other). I agree with your statement, life for the immigrants of the past was ALOT harder and more harsh than those of today. yet they managed to make it through and adapt and assimulate and become productive members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration