Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:38 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,186,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I'm seriously going to have to remember this and start speaking French around them! I love it!
'Worse': try flawless Castilian Spanish..........apparently; the tongue of Don Quixote really grates on the nerves of most New World Hispanics----------that was told to me by many Latinos.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:20 PM

74 posts, read 125,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I know both Spanish and English, but prefer to speak Spanish to Hispanics. We usually feel more bonded and cohesive speaking the language of our mother country. I am in no way trying to offend non-Spanish speakers, and I do not see this as a big deal. It is a free country, and we are allowed to speak other languages. Now, If I approach a white person then I would speak to them in English. If I have to do a presentation in school, I do it in English. But please do not tell me what languages I can and cannot speak during my spare time.
Our mother country??
So all Spanish speakers come from the same country?
I'll have to disagree.
Also, many Spanish speakers are be born here, so America would be their mother country. Sadly many children of illegal immigrants grow up to speak Spanish, accompanied by a very very poor English. As you can see when you look at that at least half the kids in ESL classes are children of immigrants who were born here.

And why would you speak English to a "white" person, what if they speak German, or Romanian, or any other language from a "white" country.
And what about "blacks" would you speak African to them?
I think if you speak to ANY person who you do not know in this country, or have not established whether it is acceptable to speak to them in any other language, you should respectfully speak to them in English and not in any other language no matter where you think their from or what "color" they are.

No one is asking you to speak English in the privacy of your own home, or with a close group of friends. Go ahead!
I speak Spanish with my grandma who is very limited in her English. I don't see anything wrong with that.

But! what we are trying to get across, is that English is the language of the land you are standing in right now. Respect the country you are in, and the people of it.

Old 10-26-2008, 11:29 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,759,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
'Worse': try flawless Castilian Spanish..........apparently; the tongue of Don Quixote really grates on the nerves of most New World Hispanics----------that was told to me by many Latinos.
Is this true, Gonzalo? I never heard a different dialect is so grating to "New World Hispanics". Does hearing Castillian really get on your nerves?

Old 10-26-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Is this true, Gonzalo? I never heard a different dialect is so grating to "New World Hispanics". Does hearing Castillian really get on your nerves?
I'm kind of in the middle I guess, I believe Castellano is how Spanish should be spoken in the countries that developed from Spanish colonies in the Americas. I always have tried to speak it the best I possibly could.

In Peru people aren't really offended, most people who care at all are on the other side and correct people who speak it wrong.

I have noticed though in this country that a few "mexicans" do get offended when you speak it the way its supposed to, specially when you make an effort to do it right.

I think its because they feel that you are trying to be "better" than them, by speaking Spanish the right way instead of their way, IMO they have slaughtered a beautiful language, specially here in the USA.

And they are doing the same with English.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalosalcedo09 View Post
I'm kind of in the middle I guess, I believe Castellano is how Spanish should be spoken in the countries that developed from Spanish colonies in the Americas. I always have tried to speak it the best I possibly could.

In Peru people aren't really offended, most people who care at all are on the other side and correct people who speak it wrong.

I have noticed though in this country that a few "mexicans" do get offended when you speak it the way its supposed to, specially when you make an effort to do it right.

I think its because they feel that you are trying to be "better" than them, by speaking Spanish the right way instead of their way, IMO they have slaughtered a beautiful language, specially here in the USA.

And they are doing the same with English.
hahah, not the Hispanics...just the Mexicans.

Slaughtered a beatiful language? By speaking a different dialect? Hmmm..

So Azbear claims that New World Hispanics(including people of your home country) are offended by Castillian Spanish, and you say its just Mexicans, and I dont feel thats true about Mexicans....wow..who do I point the finger at?

Its not Mexicans....its those renegades in Sonora!

Old 10-27-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
hahah, not the Hispanics...just the Mexicans.

Slaughtered a beatiful language? By speaking a different dialect? Hmmm..

yup! mostly Mexican people.

Like Spanglish, sometimes many Mexican kids here don't understand me when i speak Spanish the correct way.

words like mopeador or troka to me are examples of how the language is being slaughtered, because this is the language the kids of illegals here learn (Im sorry AMC but in my experience they have been mostly Mexican)
It's not enough that they dont learn English, but they learn a horrible chopped up version of Spanish.

Quote:
So Azbear claims that New World Hispanics(including people of your home country) are offended by Castillian Spanish, and you say its just Mexicans, and I dont feel thats true about Mexicans....wow..who do I point the finger at?

Its not Mexicans....its those renegades in Sonora!
Have you lived in Peru?
I have
Have you lived in The SF valley in SoCal?
I have and if you have as well, then you'd have to agree with me.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:

Like Spanglish, sometimes many Mexican kids here don't understand me when i speak Spanish the correct way.

words like mopeador or troka to me are examples of how the language is being slaughtered, because this is the language the kids of illegals here learn (Im sorry AMC but in my experience they have been mostly Mexican)
It's not enough that they dont learn English, but they learn a horrible chopped up version of Spanish.
Maybe because American and Mexico share the border? And theres more connection between American and Mexican culture than say American and Peru.

Anyway, the generalization that was made was talking about all Hispanics. Does it make it easier to accept by assuming it was just made about Mexicans?

Beyond the illegal situation, you seem pretty critical about Mexicans themselves.
Good thing Peru doesn't share a border with the U.S. instead, huh?

Old 10-27-2008, 12:40 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,806,156 times
Quote:

I hear a lot of that. Many people who consider themselves to be bilingual are actually unable to speak either language. They cannot speak either English or Spanish but mix the two even within the same sentence. You often hear phrases like "esta working" or "da me la pencil". I recently saw a sign on a truck "sebende la troka" and you hear people talking about las brekas on their troka needing to be changed.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I hear a lot of that. Many people who consider themselves to be bilingual are actually unable to speak either language. They cannot speak either English or Spanish but mix the two even within the same sentence. You often hear phrases like "esta working" or "da me la pencil". I recently saw a sign on a truck "sebende la troka" and you hear people talking about las brekas on their troka needing to be changed.
Maybe arent able to talk Spanish correctly, but not being able to talk English? Come on now.
Anybody who knows basic spanish are going to know how to say trabajando and lapiz. If they say it like that, its just spanglish, by choice or habit. Like saying "ain't" or "gonna" in English.
Troka is more likely, but thats just slang coming from the connection of the border area of Mexico and the US.
Assumptions.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:

Have you lived in Peru?
I have
Have you lived in The SF valley in SoCal?
I have and if you have as well, then you'd have to agree with me.
Neither, thankfully.

I drive 20 miles to school in Northridge because I dont want to live in the valley.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration