Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:21 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,612,019 times

Advertisements

I appreciate intelligent discourse, antialphabet, so I'll suggest that the failure to distinguish illegals from legal, newly arrived people as you term it remains the major issue of contention here. Naturalized citizens are valuable assets: illegals have no interest in abiding by American laws, or assimilating to American culture, values, the lingua franca of English, or even standards of hygiene. I indeed live with them, so I'll contest your points now.

Answer 1: Janurary 17, 1994. The Northridge earthquake caused many to lose their homes to extensive damage that FEMA couldn't even amend. The city placed low-income people in properties who then sublet to illegals. My corner of L.A. had been a nice middle class/working class neighborhood of affordable single-family dwellings and low density with the norm for Los Angeles in diversity. I had enjoyed many pleasantries with my neighbors from Jamaica, Brazil, Japan, Africa, et al. Now, one must be a linguist with at least five different languages under one's belt, as few now understand any English whatsoever. Signage in English as well as conversant knowledge in same locally has disappeared to be replaced with the predominant tongue of illegals, forcing longtime residents of all ancestries to shop elsewhere. Thus, illegals have depressed local economies further.

The quality of life difference is also quantifiable. Before, we had no gang graffiti and highly infrequent serious crimes. According to the police force with which my fellow neighborhood activists and I work, we have a much larger statistic of homicides closer to non-gang blocks now, two blocks away for a double homicide a summer ago in my own case. Illegals retain no respect for the laws of our land as they got away a biggie, and incubate gangs and crime. They are self-centered in the extreme, "me first and my family, to h--l with everyone else around us" with this constant mindset of lawlessness, and I have found them to be xenophobic and misogynistic as well.

Answer 2: the influx of illegals and subsequent trashing of surrounding neighborhoods became the tipping point at which the city services waned. Ten years ago our neighborhood activists groups could get the city to implement our well-documented requests. All gone now. We also fought for a Historic Protection Overlay Zone to keep egregious code violations at bay (and retain value for historic homes: routinely they have been gutted of all architectural details by "the newly arrived.") Egregious code violations are not only destructive but dangerous (bonfire pits used in Santa Ana winds, multitudes living in garages- in the garden shed behind me in our own case,) and deflate value of surrounding homes even further. Immaculate is not a word that would ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be applied to illegals' domiciles here, inside or out. See http://www.lawatchdog.com/DeteriorationBlight.html

I post here because I have a before-and-after-illegals P.O.V. and observations from real life experience that others may lack. I hate abstract rhetoric applied: the reality of the destructiveness of illegals to all walks of Americans' lives suffices. American citizens, be they born or naturalized, shouldn't have to witness their own neigihborhoods transmogrify into slums because of illegals and L.A.'s so-called "sanctuary" city status protection of illegals, tacit or otherwise. As much as I continue working to help my surroundings in neighborhood activism, our household is also working with all our might to move away from Los Angeles forever. The trade-offs to the non-rich like ourselves will be worth it. No one should have to be surrounded with such destructive, mean-spirited people as illegals if they possibly can help it.

Last edited by fastfilm; 12-03-2008 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 08:57 AM

345 posts, read 468,128 times
From the sound of things I left LA at a good time - not to long after the Northridge earthquake. Of course I've been back to visit sis-in-law in Hollywood Hills.
I had many good LA years enjoying Griffith Park, taking in the wonderful variety of foods and the affordable entertainment venues, and being able to move about w/o getting caught up in too many SIG alert gridlocks in my to and from independent contractor work. I have some old acquaintances still in Van Nuys who want out, and we talk. The consensus I hear about LA these days is mixed, some are still loyal, others are feed up. I suppose one must filter the feedback through the sieve of age/finances/location/health to get closer to the truth of what is driving a desire to stay or leave. I'm so grateful I got in some good LA time before the negative stuff began to overwhelm so many working class residents trying to survive while doing the right thing. No matter where the city, if one's got the financial resources to insulate oneself - it's mostly all good, if not - uh oh! resentment creeps in. My late spouse used to say, "LA's best for the young, it's an exciting time in their lives, and they have the benefits of not knowing what was."

Last edited by Ria Rhodes; 12-11-2008 at 09:08 AM..

Old 12-11-2008, 03:03 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,973,117 times
I will give them credit that none of the top 25 murder capitals of America has a majority Hispanic population, in these cities the Black population tends to be larger than the Hispanic population.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:15 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,463,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Tijuana and Juarez are two of the busiest ports with the US, making them very important in the drug trade.

People have implied that Mexicans/Hispanics have a tendency for crime, but as you can see, that's just malarkey.

In the drug trade, like everything else, its location, location, location.

Much of Mexico isn't as dangerous as the areas the drug thugs take over (border cities, Sinaloa), and now they have since made a mess in famous resort cities like Acapulco.

Some of the major organizations moving drugs in Mexico are in complete disarray right now from having their leaders incarcerated, or killed. So right now, it's a huge power struggle that is going out of control.

The murders aren't random at all. They are pretty much orchestrated against each other, and the people involved with them, with unfortunately some people getting caught in the middle of the gunfire.
Do we have an under the table Pharmasist here?

Old 12-11-2008, 03:35 PM

78 posts, read 139,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
but Tijuana and Juarez are on pace for 2,500 murders combined this year?

El Paso, San Antonio, Austin, etc etc are Hispanic majority cities and are among the safest in the US - why such a difference across an imaginery line?
Where-ever there are large groups of hispanics, the tendency is that they are safe places, the reason is that they are very family oriented, and
respect is a number one priority.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
I appreciate intelligent discourse, antialphabet, so I'll suggest that the failure to distinguish illegals from legal, newly arrived people as you term it remains the major issue of contention here. Naturalized citizens are valuable assets: illegals have no interest in abiding by American laws, or assimilating to American culture, values, the lingua franca of English, or even standards of hygiene. I indeed live with them, so I'll contest your points now.

Answer 1: Janurary 17, 1994. The Northridge earthquake caused many to lose their homes to extensive damage that FEMA couldn't even amend. The city placed low-income people in properties who then sublet to illegals. My corner of L.A. had been a nice middle class/working class neighborhood of affordable single-family dwellings and low density with the norm for Los Angeles in diversity. I had enjoyed many pleasantries with my neighbors from Jamaica, Brazil, Japan, Africa, et al. Now, one must be a linguist with at least five different languages under one's belt, as few now understand any English whatsoever. Signage in English as well as conversant knowledge in same locally has disappeared to be replaced with the predominant tongue of illegals, forcing longtime residents of all ancestries to shop elsewhere. Thus, illegals have depressed local economies further.

The quality of life difference is also quantifiable. Before, we had no gang graffiti and highly infrequent serious crimes. According to the police force with which my fellow neighborhood activists and I work, we have a much larger statistic of homicides closer to non-gang blocks now, two blocks away for a double homicide a summer ago in my own case. Illegals retain no respect for the laws of our land as they got away a biggie, and incubate gangs and crime. They are self-centered in the extreme, "me first and my family, to h--l with everyone else around us" with this constant mindset of lawlessness, and I have found them to be xenophobic and misogynistic as well.

Answer 2: the influx of illegals and subsequent trashing of surrounding neighborhoods became the tipping point at which the city services waned. Ten years ago our neighborhood activists groups could get the city to implement our well-documented requests. All gone now. We also fought for a Historic Protection Overlay Zone to keep egregious code violations at bay (and retain value for historic homes: routinely they have been gutted of all architectural details by "the newly arrived.") Egregious code violations are not only destructive but dangerous (bonfire pits used in Santa Ana winds, multitudes living in garages- in the garden shed behind me in our own case,) and deflate value of surrounding homes even further. Immaculate is not a word that would ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be applied to illegals' domiciles here, inside or out. See DeteriorationBlight

I post here because I have a before-and-after-illegals P.O.V. and observations from real life experience that others may lack. I hate abstract rhetoric applied: the reality of the destructiveness of illegals to all walks of Americans' lives suffices. American citizens, be they born or naturalized, shouldn't have to witness their own neigihborhoods transmogrify into slums because of illegals and L.A.'s so-called "sanctuary" city status protection of illegals, tacit or otherwise. As much as I continue working to help my surroundings in neighborhood activism, our household is also working with all our might to move away from Los Angeles forever. The trade-offs to the non-rich like ourselves will be worth it. No one should have to be surrounded with such destructive, mean-spirited people as illegals if they possibly can help it.
With alittle help from a Anti-American, illegal loving,
Major of LA, Antonio Villaraigosa ,

Fastfilm, I have experience the same, but about 60 mille east of LA in San Bernardino County.

Old 12-11-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuquiyu View Post
Where-ever there are large groups of hispanics, the tendency is that they are safe places, the reason is that they are very family oriented, and
respect is a number one priority.
You mean "Selective".

http://bestsmileys.com/puking/2.gif (broken link)

Old 12-11-2008, 03:58 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,618,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I will give them credit that none of the top 25 murder capitals of America has a majority Hispanic population, in these cities the Black population tends to be larger than the Hispanic population.
Well, the black population in L.A. shifted north to Palmdale and Lancaster...Palmdale went from one of the safest areas in LA county (right behind Thousand Oaks, Irvine) to one of the worst (Compton, South Central) in less then 10 years.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:44 PM

78 posts, read 139,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
You mean "Selective".
Numbers don't lie, and the reality is that hispanics neighborhoods are the safest in U.S.

Old 12-12-2008, 04:27 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,188,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuquiyu View Post
Numbers don't lie, and the reality is that hispanics neighborhoods are the safest in U.S.
If here legally; the 'Hispanics' are more than welcome to stay.

Illegals need to go away----------both Hispanic and otherwise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration