Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 05:01 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,643,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
Oh no...........I feel the inevitable claim that illegals or "third world trash" are filthy and have horrible hygiene.
You are so defensive that you refuse to see common sense.
My son had to be health screened before he was allowed to immigrate to the US. He was 15 months old for gods sake! And unless I'm missing something, South Korea is hardly a third world cesspit. And yet, he had to do it --- the government holds the best interests of its citizens before the best interests of potential immigrants. That means, you don't allow people into the country with a TB or whooping cough or gonorhea because it would be A) be detrimental to other people the inflicted individual may come in contact with and B) it is setting up a situation of an ill person coming to a new country and already needing potentially intensive and expensive medical aid. This rule of making sure everyone is healthy is not to slam Mexicans as you seem to think. It is for every immigrant, from every country. Illegal immigrants circumvent this rule, and that is wrong.
As far as getting one of these diseases on a trip to Puerto Vallarta --- it could happen. But it would be more likely to happen if the guy you hired to paint your house has TB and is coughing while you pay him, or your childs kindergarten classmate has whooping cough or the german measles because they had never been vaccinated and come from a country where that disease is still prevalent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 05:02 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,461 times
Default Legal immigrants and citizens will get you just as sick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No the claim is that some may carry communicable diseases because:
1. they were not screened before entry.
2. They were not vaccinated.
This is why immigrants are supposed to be screened before entry. To protect US citizens.
But there is no screening or vaccination for tapeworms, which is the cause of this very gross disease. Legal immigrants are required to submit to a medical screening that includes HIV and TB testing, but not Hepatitis, which is highly infectious and contagious. Even better, an immigrant can be screened up to 12 months before arriving in the U.S., allowing for plenty of time to catch an infectious disease and bring it here.

So enjoy that fruit salad that just got coughed on by the legal immigrant with a raging case of infectious TB!

Refugee Health: Frequently Asked Questions | CDC DGMQ

Old 12-06-2008, 05:04 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post
But there is no screening or vaccination for tapeworms, which is the cause of this very gross disease. Legal immigrants are required to submit to a medical screening that includes HIV and TB testing, but not Hepatitis, which is highly infectious and contagious. Even better, an immigrant can be screened up to 12 months before arriving in the U.S., allowing for plenty of time to catch an infectious disease and bring it here.

So enjoy that fruit salad that just got coughed on by the legal immigrant with a raging case of infectious TB!

You are right. That is one of the main reasons that I know exactly the restaurant I take my family to eat at. You do realize that all one has to do is to aks to see the kitchen and while one is looking at the kitchen one can see who is working back there. Easy as pie. And before you get all weirdo on me, I am of Mexican descent. I know about the damn diseases that so many immigrants and visitors to this country bring.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:09 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,569,444 times
Quote:

My, my . . . . aren't you enjoying the mere prospect of U.S. citizens being infected. I would think you would be equally concerned whether the carrier is legal or illegal. Anything to defend illegal aliens. How incredibly sad.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
My, my . . . . aren't you enjoying the mere prospect of U.S. citizens being infected. I would think you would be equally concerned whether the carrier is legal or illegal. Anything to defend illegal aliens. How incredibly sad.
I noticed that also. It is very sad.

I can tell you one thing for sure though, if and when the U.S. actually goes south. I hope that people like that don't get help when they need it. I think they should have to fend for themselves. Maybe they can fight on the side that they love so much, not that that side will want them either.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I noticed that also. It is very sad.

I can tell you one thing for sure though, if and when the U.S. actually goes south. I hope that people like that don't get help when they need it. I think they should have to fend for themselves. Maybe they can fight on the side that they love so much, not that that side will want them either.
I can't say what I'd like to do to all of those traitors. If they think so little of this country, why don’t they do us all a favor and leave?

Old 12-06-2008, 05:20 PM

425 posts, read 1,093,461 times
Quote:
*Sigh*

Does it really matter what contagious diseases illegal aliens may spread? The fact of the matter is there are millions of unscreened illegal aliens in contact with the citizens of this country on a daily basis. We have no idea what we are being exposed to. Nor do we know the identities of many illegal aliens who may be contagious given their propensity for identity theft, document forgery, and aliases. If a citizen is infected by an illegal, where shall we look for the culprit? What “shadows” should we investigate? Perhaps that explains the “epidemic” you reference in your post.

I can't believe your flippant attitude. Hopefully, you or a loved one won’t unwittingly become infected during one of YOUR trips to the salad bar. Let’s see how “cheery” you are then.

Is anything short of a plague deemed acceptable in your condescending opinion?
No it doesn't matter what disease illegal aliens may spread. None of that was opinion. It's all fact.

When people come to this country every day legally and they are allowed to come even though they are infected with a disease like Hepatitis, that's cause for alarm, and it's no joke.

However, the TB rate in 2007 in the US was the lowest since 1953 (0.0044%). It is one of the most contagious diseases there is. It is far more transmissible than a tapeworm. Don't you think you'd be far more likely to get TB? And even multi-drug resistant TB has declined in 2007, to 98 cases nationwide, or 1% of all TB cases. Your chances are pretty slim.

I think you're pretty safe to eat in a restaurant without checking for green cards in the kitchen.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
I can't say what I'd like to do to all of those traitors. If they think so little of this country, why don’t they do us all a favor and leave?
We can only wish I guess!!!!

Old 12-06-2008, 05:25 PM

Quote:
No it doesn't matter what disease illegal aliens may spread. None of that was opinion. It's all fact.

When people come to this country every day legally and they are allowed to come even though they are infected with a disease like Hepatitis, that's cause for alarm, and it's no joke.

However, the TB rate in 2007 in the US was the lowest since 1953. It is one of the most contagious diseases there is. It is far more transmissible than a tapeworm. Don't you think you'd be far more likely to get TB? And even multi-drug resistant TB has declined in 2007, to 98 cases nationwide, or 1% of all TB cases. Your chances are pretty slim.

I think you're pretty safe to eat in a restaurant without checking for green cards in the kitchen.
MISinformation!!!!! You might want to know what you post about. It does help.

"TB Cases Increasing at Fastest Rate Since 1953" (http://www.aegis.com/news/ads/1992/AD920239.html - broken link)

[SIZE=+1]"TB Cases Increasing at Fastest Rate Since 1953"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
Abstract: Atlanta--The number of tuberculosis cases escalated to more than 25,000 in 1990, an increase of nearly 10 percent when compared to the previous year and the largest yearly increase since 1953, according to the Centers for Disease Control. The rampant spread of TB, spurred by the emergence of multi-drug-resistant forms and a highly susceptible population of AIDS victims, has been increasing since 1988, after a long historic decline, according to the CDC. The centers reported 25,701 cases in 1990. While the CDC did not have statistics for the number of TB cases in the last year, they said that the figure had exceeded the 23,000 mark in December. Thirty-one states reported an increase in cases for 1990, compared to the previous year. New York experienced a 30.4 percent increase in cases, Texas showed a 17.1 percent gain, and California's number increased 16.1 percent. Between 1985 and 1990, the number of TB cases grew in every racial and ethnic group except non-Hispanic whites, American Indians, and Alaska natives, the CDC reported.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:

However, the TB rate in 2007 in the US was the lowest since 1953. It is one of the most contagious diseases there is. It is far more transmissible than a tapeworm. Don't you think you'd be far more likely to get TB? And even multi-drug resistant TB has declined in 2007, to 98 cases nationwide, or 1% of all TB cases. Your chances are pretty slim.

There’s a time for joviality. This isn’t it. Thus, further discussion would be futile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration