Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:15 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,518 times

Advertisements

I'm getting tired of the "Nation of Immigrants (TM)" canard, as if every generation of immigrants is indistiguishable from the last. The pioneers of the past came here to build a new nation. They saw a vast, almost unoccupied continent, and wanted to build a new nation in their own image -- a "New Europa".

New migrants, however, are not building a new nation from scratch. They're not homesteaders, rather they're simply replacing Americans and taking over an infrastructure already in place. In contrast, they're actually very different from the immigrants of the past. Ironically, they're almost the exact opposite, in the sense that they're not building a nation -- they're doing quite the opposite -- though immigration cheerleaders from the liberally minded social marxist Democrats to the dittoheaded corporatist Republicans almost NEVER make such a distinction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 01:22 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,639 times
Good post, I think that needed to be said. People will still disagree and probably come down on you, but don't worry, I've got your back.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:31 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,678,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James T View Post
I'm getting tired of the "Nation of Immigrants (TM)" canard, as if every generation of immigrants is indistiguishable from the last. The pioneers of the past came here to build a new nation. They saw a vast, almost unoccupied continent, and wanted to build a new nation in their own image -- a "New Europa".

New migrants, however, are not building a new nation from scratch. They're not homesteaders, rather they're simply replacing Americans and taking over an infrastructure already in place. In contrast, they're actually very different from the immigrants of the past. Ironically, they're almost the exact opposite, in the sense that they're not building a nation -- they're doing quite the opposite -- though immigration cheerleaders from the liberally minded social marxist Democrats to the dittoheaded corporatist Republicans almost NEVER make such a distinction.

Great Post! We certainly are not a nation of immigrants. Most American citizens are native born to this country.

Old 08-18-2007, 10:03 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,558,314 times
Quote:

Unpopular perhaps, but all this is true---and indicative of our new "kinder, gentler" society. Defend illegal immigration if you will; that's your privilege and your right; but don't stoop to comparing it with past immigration into a much tougher and less accomodating society; that's just not a fair argument...

Old 08-18-2007, 11:45 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,923 times
Not to mention they are coming here ILLEGALLY! Our forefathers would be sick.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
but don't stoop to comparing it with past immigration into a much tougher and less accomodating society; that's just not a fair argument...
Why is it not fair?

Old 08-18-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Why is it not fair?
It's not a fair comparison because conditions now aren't the same as conditions in the past---didn't you START this thread? Isn't that what YOU YOURSELF said? I would think you, more than anyone, would see why comparing today's situation with the past is like comparing apples with oranges---unless I'm missing something here, or there are, in fact, two "James T's"?....perhaps the "Good James T" and the "Bad James T"....I thought the forum didn't allow for duplication of names.......

Old 08-18-2007, 11:04 PM

8 posts, read 36,461 times
I'm all for legal immigration...I just hate that this situation is basically making our citizenship worthless!

Old 08-19-2007, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It's not a fair comparison because conditions now aren't the same as conditions in the past---didn't you START this thread? Isn't that what YOU YOURSELF said? I would think you, more than anyone, would see why comparing today's situation with the past is like comparing apples with oranges---unless I'm missing something here, or there are, in fact, two "James T's"?....perhaps the "Good James T" and the "Bad James T"....I thought the forum didn't allow for duplication of names.......
You still haven't shown what's not fair about my comparison. There are still vast undeveloped areas in the U.S. where land can be purchased, yet modern immigrants just want to crowd into our already overcrowded cities, all the while organizing into ethnically based socio-economic organizations in order to advance the life quality of their specific enclave. Now, show me how I'm not assesing modern immigrants fairly.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
You still haven't shown what's not fair about my comparison. There are still vast undeveloped areas in the U.S. where land can be purchased, yet modern immigrants just want to crowd into our already overcrowded cities, all the while organizing into ethnically based socio-economic organizations in order to advance the life quality of their specific enclave. Now, show me how I'm not assesing modern immigrants fairly.
I see the confusion here--my rebuttal was not directed at YOU, I now realize, but to those of your opponents (notice I said "defend illegal immigration if you will", etc.) who are insisting that all immigration, at all periods in history, was carried out under equal conditions. To THOSE people, I was saying "you can't compare what happened then with what's happening now"......too many "third person" references, I guess....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration