Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 07:21 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,912,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
They can't find work. There is no such thing as a job "Americans won't do" for livable wages.
Evidently not janitorial. The fact of the matter is that there are jobs that are deemed less desirable. The majority of Americans percieve themselves as middle class. Thus, in order to stay within a said class...many Americans don't take undesirable jobs.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:26 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Evidently not janitorial. The fact of the matter is that there are jobs that are deemed less desirable. The majority of Americans percieve themselves as middle class. Thus, in order to stay within a said class...many Americans don't take undesirable jobs.
With our high unemployment rate that is a fallacy.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:35 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,331,919 times
Quote:
You seem to forget that we still have a large blue collar workforce in this country. I wouldn't find janitorial work demeaning when you have to put food on the table and are laid off. Add to that construction, landscaping, restaurant work, etc. You know those jobs that Americans won't supposedly do but the illegals have tied up now. The illegals have also created a language barrier in the workplace. No employer will hire a mono-English speaker with an entire Spanish speaking crew. I know that has happened in my neck of the woods in all three of those job catagories.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:49 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,912,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
You seem to forget that we still have a large blue collar workforce in this country. I wouldn't find janitorial work demeaning when you have to put food on the table and are laid off. Add to that construction, landscaping, restaurant work, etc. You know those jobs that Americans won't supposedly do but the illegals have tied up now. The illegals have also created a language barrier in the workplace. No employer will hire a mono-English speaker with an entire Spanish speaking crew. I know that has happened in my neck of the woods in all three of those job catagories.
So why is it that the majority of janitorial staff in the SW are Hispanics? And when I mean majority, I mean vast majority. I speak French and English and didn't have trouble fitting in on my part time job to keep me afloat.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:26 PM

45 posts, read 54,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
With our high unemployment rate that is a fallacy.
Would you work in fabric manufacturing? Would you come mow my lawn? Would you clean the toilets at my work? How about pick some crops in this weather?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:12 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,755,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I suppose if I had to, I would have to, right?

So by your logic, we should maintain everyone's unemployment benefits AND use the endless stream of tax cash, to find and kick out illegals that are working, so that wages will rise and Americans can clean a toilet for 40k a year?
Well, that sailed right over your head.

I said nothing of the sort. As evidenced by the original article I posted (does anyone ever read the links?) Americans are lining up in some cases by the hundreds to fill a few positions some of you seem to think that they aren't willing to do.

I'd venture to say that there is no job an American won't do if they are paid an honest day's wage for an honest day's work.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
So why is it that the majority of janitorial staff in the SW are Hispanics? And when I mean majority, I mean vast majority. I speak French and English and didn't have trouble fitting in on my part time job to keep me afloat.
Because the southwest is flooded with Hispanics both legal and illegal. Some of these employers will hire a token white or black worker so it doesn''t look like discrimination but the overwhelming numbers of their workers are Hispanic. Some ads for employment will even state "must be bi-lingual to apply". Why should any American have to speak Spanish in their own English speaking country to get a job here?

Old 09-03-2009, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Baloney! Poor Blacks use to do most janitorial jobs until the illegal invaders took them.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Because the southwest is flooded with Hispanics both legal and illegal. Some of these employers will hire a token white or black worker so it doesn''t look like discrimination but the overwhelming numbers of their workers are Hispanic. Some ads for employment will even state "must be bi-lingual to apply". Why should any American have to speak Spanish in their own English speaking country to get a job here?
Flooded with Hispanic legals?
Wow. I'm noticing a pattern in this forum...

Old 09-03-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Baloney! Poor Blacks use to do most janitorial jobs until the illegal invaders took them.
Has the Black unemployment rate changed dramatically since illegal immigrations have risen? What about the higher education rate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.