Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 07:17 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,179,838 times

Advertisements

<<there are still jobs people wont do.>>

It's funny, but someone did these jobs for over 200 years before the big influx of illegal aliens. That was when there were many more of the tedious factory jobs still in this country too.

Old 09-06-2009, 07:31 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,179,838 times
Another reason illegal aliens are bad for the economy is that most of them tend to shop in Walmart, Kmart, Target, dollar stores, etc., which keeps a steady supply of cheap merchndise coming from 3rd world countries, which in turn keeps manufacturers moving their businesses to those countries.

Illegal aliens do not "Buy American."

Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,681,137 times
My husband was recently laid off, he is a construction PM, he cant even find a simple carpentry job, because he wont work for 8 bucks an hour!! Sorry but he is not going to forget 20 years of experience and work for that cheap. These employers need to be slapped!!! My husband has not seen a non latino job site in a long time!! My 16 year old cannot get a labor job at a site either. I have been encouraging him to find something else besides construction, which he love, sad our citizens cant follow what they love anymore.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:33 AM

19,561 posts, read 9,570,260 times
I try to buy "Made In USA" whenever possible. I won't (knowingly) pick up dog treats that aren't made in the United States and definitely try to stay away from those that are made in China. Been too spooked by the previous accounts of the harm bestowed on our pets and don't ever want to have that happen again.

Here's a neat link:
How Americans Can Buy American

Old 09-07-2009, 10:40 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,163,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
My husband was recently laid off, he is a construction PM, he cant even find a simple carpentry job, because he wont work for 8 bucks an hour!! Sorry but he is not going to forget 20 years of experience and work for that cheap. These employers need to be slapped!!! My husband has not seen a non latino job site in a long time!! My 16 year old cannot get a labor job at a site either. I have been encouraging him to find something else besides construction, which he love, sad our citizens cant follow what they love anymore.
This recession has been like no other since at least the Great Depression--------I personally know a lot of people who have been laid off.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:51 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,482,339 times
Quote:
The employers need to be thrown in jail. The teens in my area have been unable to find summer jobs for years now. Unless you can work as a lifeguard, no jobs are available. The jobs kids typically did on summer break have all been filled by illegal Jose and Juanita. For teens who have to work and set aside money for college, this is a disaster.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
The employers need to be thrown in jail. The teens in my area have been unable to find summer jobs for years now. Unless you can work as a lifeguard, no jobs are available. The jobs kids typically did on summer break have all been filled by illegal Jose and Juanita. For teens who have to work and set aside money for college, this is a disaster.
I agree. This is the worst we have ever seen it. he has always been able to find the basic carpentry jobs when he needed to. Now he is on his way 900 miles from our home for the only interview he could get, from what we hear there are not a lot of illegals in the area. Hopefully something happens, we hate to move, but we have a family to take care of. Even my work as an designer of homes is taking a hit, I am going back to school to expand it to Architect for Commercial high rises.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:55 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,912,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Oddly, most college kids are able to find summer work. Hell, when I was a teen I worked along side illegal immigrants sometimes. There is also, at times, a sense of entitlement among Americans.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Oddly, most college kids are able to find summer work. Hell, when I was a teen I worked along side illegal immigrants sometimes. There is also, at times, a sense of entitlement among Americans.
Well why the hell not?! This is our country. My son just graduated with a Bachelors, he cant find work right now, even the simple laboring jobs are gone. He is thinking leaving the country just to have a chance, sad ,he was BORN here, and may have to leave. Yet people support those that come here with no regards to the citizens of this country, protest for rights they dont have, take jobs they have no right too and disrespect us at every turn. Something is REALLY messed up with the USA. I would like to see this statistic of yours that states most are able to find work, all the kids I have talked to at our school are having to go back home for the summer and live with mom and dad because they cant find work.

Old 09-08-2009, 12:11 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,912,455 times
Quote:
Well why the hell not?! This is our country. My son just graduated with a Bachelors, he cant find work right now, even the simple laboring jobs are gone. He is thinking leaving the country just to have a chance, sad ,he was BORN here, and may have to leave. Yet people support those that come here with no regards to the citizens of this country, protest for rights they dont have, take jobs they have no right too and disrespect us at every turn. Something is REALLY messed up with the USA. I would like to see this statistic of yours that states most are able to find work, all the kids I have talked to at our school are having to go back home for the summer and live with mom and dad because they cant find work.
I have my bachelors too. I worked 3 jobs to keep a decent standard of living. Pple in the 3rd world move ALL the time to get jobs (cousins with doctorate degrees moved to France to get decent work...she got her degree in Paris at the Sorbonne).

This economy is not due to illegal immigrants. The inablility to find work (which many times is NOT the case, let's be perfectly honest...I had 3 jobs in this economy...a steady steady sales job, a tutoring job, and a janitorial job... my friends felt they were above certain jobs) is not linked to illegal immigration, rather economic cycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.