Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:50 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Many fruit pickers do go home. The ones that stay generally take on some other low paying job that would be hard to fill if it weren't for illegal aliens.

What does robbing a bank have to do with this topic? Does anyone benefit from the bank robbery, other than bank robbers? Fruit pickers/construction laborers/gardners all provide valuable services.

If you are going to argue with an analogy at least pick a good one.
My 17 year old brother couldn't find a job this summer because all the low paying entry jobs were taken. He would have loved to be a dish washer, fruit picker, drive a tractor, be a bus boy etc etc but all those jobs were taken, and not by young kids, which is the way it usually happens.

My brothers girlfriend had the same problem, as did many of his friends. There are plenty of people for those jobs (who had those jobs BEFORE the mass exodus?).

Sorry, I don't buy it.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:15 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I am sick and tired of two things.
1) Prissy teenagers (and their helicopter parents) who refuse to work once they are eligable for a work permit, or, if they do work, only go for wuss jobs like working down at the mall. Not all that long ago (30 years ago) teenagers did jobs that they, as Americans, loved to do. Why did they love such manual labor? Firstly, it's a great way to burn off all that natural youthful energy. Secondly, it's a great way to be able to start saving for college in order to avoid being in debt or overly dependent on Mom and Dad.
2) I am sick of employers who seem to have forgotten all the benefits of employing teen agers (as well as older folks who need money urgently) who actually speak English and, who actually steer their earnings into the immediate local community and revenue collections. As well, today's teen worker is tomorrow's adult leader. What a win - win situation. Local revenue streams, leadership, work ethic, great customer relations, too many to count.
Hear! Hear! I did manual labor as a teen and thoroughly enjoyed it and the small paychecks I received. Add yard care for a number of families, shoveling snow for them during the winter, babysitting and I was never broke.

One thing I love about where we are now is that the markets employ not just some youths but older workers as well. The clerks helper (bagger) in the market may well be a parent with several children or someone implementing their Social Security.

Illegal immigrants are just that and as far as I'm concerned, they have nothing coming. They crowd the schools, clog emergency rooms and have a most unattractive and annoying entitlement attitude. Assimilation is not in their vocabulary and I think they have gone a long way towards ruining the California I grew up in and turning large swaths of it into third world country status.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:30 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,562,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Let’s face it. Most illegals come here to work. And they often take low paying jobs that employers have a hard time filling. We have whole industries based on the labor of illegal aliens. Think of all the work illegal aliens do hand-picking vegetables and fruit in central CA, as gardeners in the big cities, and as construction laborers throughout the state. Sure, illegals don’t pay much in taxes. But I am sick and tire of hearing people complain about them as though they were freeloaders. These people work HARD and serve many useful purposes in our society. We would be much worse off without illegal aliens. MUCH worse off.
Utter hogwash! Apparently you don’t realize construction workers used to be U.S. citizens, who used to be able to support their families, and used to be members of the middle-class. These “whole industries” you speak of, have become greedy and corrupt; which is the only reason they are now dominated by cheap illegal labor. There are more than enough legal residents of this country to employ in those jobs; but just like the former plantation owners, dirt cheap labor is more lucrative than paying a decent wage. As much as I loathe the former slave owners, at least they didn’t expect the rest of the country to pick up the tab for their workforce.

I don’t know what your definition of “freeloader” is, but people who pay NOTHING into the system, yet expect to reap all of the benefits, are indeed freeloaders/parasites.

However, I do agree that they “work HARD” - - at circumventing our laws, and using the taxpayers of this country.

Old 10-01-2009, 12:43 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briefstop View Post
This summer, there was a little thing going on called a recession. Business is not booming. Seriously though: how many waiters, sales associates, retail workers, and cashiers appear to be illegal aliens?
If anything, you see more older people taking those jobs after being laid off.

If your brother wants to scrub and clean public bathrooms that the public has no sense of decency for, harvesting crops in the middle of summer, etc., tell him to keep trying, and I'm sure he'll eventually get hired. Theyre not going to kick out somebody who's been working for years to make room for one kid. But sooner or later he'll get hired.

Didnt you ever hear that the way to get hired is to do 10 applications a day? That's an old tip. Not new. Sometimes jobs are scarce. If you could just want a job, and have it magically appear in front of you, life would be a lot easier. Welcome to the real world.

Actually, in my area jobs that kids used to get (I helped with grape harvesting at a local winery and worked part time for a vet cleaning stalls etc) ARE being taken by older immigrant workers. The vet I used to work for currently has 2 illegal immigrants working for her, and she pays both of them less than minimum wage cash. She can get two people working for what I used to get paid alone. Grape harvesting?? HA. My cousin works the crush at 3 different wineries in my area and he says it's easier hiring undocumented immigrants because they don't complain, cost less and you have less paperwork to do.

These jobs used to be done by me and my friends. I've picked grapes, I've cleaned dog vomit off of cages, I've cleaned restrooms. Now, those things aren't available. I'm just going by personal experience, no need to be snippy

Old 10-01-2009, 01:12 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
I totally agree. California WOULD be worse off without illegal immigrants.

Presently, we have roughly 25% of ALL the illegals in the US. It's about 8% of our total population, or roughly 3 million people, give-or-take.

I figure if California had about SIX million illegals, we MIGHT start climbing out of our present recession. Eight million would be even better. TWELVE MILLION, and we'd all be able to retire.

California needs its illegals. Without them, where would we be?...

Old 10-01-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I totally agree. California WOULD be worse off without illegal immigrants.

Presently, we have roughly 25% of ALL the illegals in the US. It's about 8% of our total population, or roughly 3 million people, give-or-take.

I figure if California had about SIX million illegals, we MIGHT start climbing out of our present recession. Eight million would be even better. TWELVE MILLION, and we'd all be able to retire.

California needs its illegals. Without them, where would we be?...
How about we send you ALL of the illegals in the rest of the country – would THAT help?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:13 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Actually, in my area jobs that kids used to get (I helped with grape harvesting at a local winery and worked part time for a vet cleaning stalls etc) ARE being taken by older immigrant workers. The vet I used to work for currently has 2 illegal immigrants working for her, and she pays both of them less than minimum wage cash. She can get two people working for what I used to get paid alone. Grape harvesting?? HA. My cousin works the crush at 3 different wineries in my area and he says it's easier hiring undocumented immigrants because they don't complain, cost less and you have less paperwork to do.

These jobs used to be done by me and my friends. I've picked grapes, I've cleaned dog vomit off of cages, I've cleaned restrooms. Now, those things aren't available. I'm just going by personal experience, no need to be snippy
If he wants a low wage job...I gaurantee he can find one. It is hard. There is the recession. Hence why illegal immigrants are leaving CA. It's not that they are stealing jobs (how can they be stealing jobs if they have the highest unemployment of any demographic in the nation?)

Personal experience is tainted with your perspective. So it may be flawed and not reality.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
If he wants a low wage job...I gaurantee he can find one. It is hard. There is the recession. Hence why illegal immigrants are leaving CA. It's not that they are stealing jobs (how can they be stealing jobs if they have the highest unemployment of any demographic in the nation?)

Personal experience is tainted with your perspective. So it may be flawed and not reality.
Given that they have the highest unemployment rate, how are they surviving in this country, and why don’t they leave? Oh, that’s right. . . . they don’t really have to work as long as U.S. taxpayers continue to support them. If they return home they can’t receive welfare, WIC, subsidized housing, and free medical care.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:30 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Given that they have the highest unemployment rate, how are they surviving in this country, and why don’t they leave? Oh, that’s right. . . . they don’t really have to work as long as U.S. taxpayers continue to support them. If they return home they can’t receive welfare, WIC, subsidized housing, and free medical care.
Right, because you can survive on welfare. Free medical care? News to me. So if an illegal immigrant without insurance walks into an office and has cancer, that's free? No...it's not. Subsidized housing. I've seen the rental prices here in SoCal. It's not cheap.

Seasonal work means that the job won't last long. So that skews unemployment numbers. Many jobs are more gigs in nature. So again, rising the unemployment rate.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Right, because you can survive on welfare. Free medical care? News to me. So if an illegal immigrant without insurance walks into an office and has cancer, that's free? No...it's not. Subsidized housing. I've seen the rental prices here in SoCal. It's not cheap.
News flash: people have been surviving off of welfare for years. Yes, an illegal can receive “free” cancer treatment, organ transplants, dialysis, etc. It happens quite frequently. Illegals are also living in tax-funded subsidized housing, including Obama’s aunt. Why would any illegal choose to leave this land of milk and honey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.