Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 09:26 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,584,624 times

Advertisements

Yes, illegal aliens pay. . . .

Quote:
The problem is once illegal immigrants land in an acute care facility like Washington Hospital Center, the hospital is stuck caring for them and can't legally transfer the patients to a more appropriate, less costly long-term care facility.

"There's no help from the embassies. Family members are not answering any calls or letters," said Orlowski

The Washington Hospital Center treats illegal immigrants on a weekly basis, at the cost of millions of dollars of unreimbursed care. hospital beds are often full.

"This harms the community," said Orlowski. "The community loses because these are resources that should be devoted for acute care."And American taxpayers pick up the tab.

Just this week Washington Hospital Center spent $80,000 to send two illegal immigrants back to their home countries.
The High Cost Of Illegal Immigrant Healthcare (It Affects All Of Us) :: Immigration and Border Issues :: Hyscience

Quote:
SAN DIEGO -- Future costs for illegal immigrants in the United States will reach a half a trillion dollars, a Heritage Foundation researcher said Wednesday at congressional hearing in San Diego.

The National Academy of Sciences estimated that each immigrant will result in a $100,000 net annual cost to taxpayers.
Report: Illegal Immigration Could Cost Taxpayers Trillions - San Diego News Story - KGTV San Diego

Quote:
Sacramento County voted in February to bar illegal immigrants from county clinics at an estimated savings of $2.4 million. Contra Costa County followed last month by cutting off undocumented adults, to save approximately $6 million. And Yolo County is voting on a similar change next month, which would reduce costs by $1.2 million.
California counties cut healthcare to illegal immigrants - Los Angeles Times

Quote:
Sixty percent of the county's uninsured patients are not U.S. citizens. More than half are here illegally. About 2 million undocumented aliens in Los Angeles County alone are crowding emergency rooms because they can't afford to see a doctor.

The Department of Health has a $1.2 billion deficit. Caring for illegals is siphoning money from other services and forcing clinics, trauma centers and emergency rooms to close, he said.

"We cannot afford to have a open-door policy to encourage illegals to continue to come here and receive all the medical care, because it's too expensive," he said.
FOXNews.com - L.A. Emergency Rooms Full of Illegal Immigrants - Politics | Republican Party | Democratic Party | Political Spectrum

Let’s not forget illegals who use fraud and identity theft to receive services.

Quote:
The Tribune detailed the story of the late Mariana de la Torre, an illegal alien from Mexico who was diagnosed with cancer just a few months after she illegally came to the United States in December 2006. De la Torre purchased fraudulent identification, including the stolen Social Security number of a Texas female inmate, to obtain $530,000 worth of medical treatment including two surgical procedures, chemotherapy, radiation treatment from Illinois hospitals. De la Torre's revelation of her true identity in January 2009 prompted several health care providers that treated her to assess their vulnerability to medical identity theft. The Tribune noted that the costs associated with de la Torre's fraudulent claims are being borne by regional health systems and taxpayer-funded Medicaid, to the tune of tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars each.
Illegal Alien Commits Identity Theft; Receives Health Care Services Worth Half Million | Border & Sovereignty

Old 10-02-2009, 12:58 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,914,252 times
Trillions? FOXNews? Sorry, but more credible sources don't put the number at Trillions of dollars...The same things are done by citizens of the US. It stands to reason the majority of illegal immigrants do pay their hospital bills. That's great that you found a FauxNews report and put in a few sensational headlines...but the truth of the matter is that the majority do pay taxes with ITINs, but they are a burden. To be honest, we don't know how much of a burden they are. So are poor citizens. However, you should help and cultivate the weakest in a society...not stigmatize. This is how we truly progress as a nation.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Clearly, your objective is to insult and inflame, not to intelligently debate issues on this forum. Both Andreabeth and I have posted information and links to soundly refute your erroneous claim that illegal aliens do not receive ‘free’ cancer treatment. Despite receiving this information, you continue to hurl insults, rather than apologizing for calling me a liar.

A person incapable of admitting a mistake lacks character and/or maturity. Perhaps when you grow up you will learn to simply state, “I stand corrected.”
No again I like to tell the truth. So is that to insult and inflame? Refuted? So please I inist that maybe you should leg work and learn better research techniques...you know some scholarly works. Then I may be inclined to say I stand corrected. But honestly, I don't do that with people that are simply wrong and bigoted.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:49 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,484,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Trillions? FOXNews? Sorry, but more credible sources don't put the number at Trillions of dollars...The same things are done by citizens of the US. It stands to reason the majority of illegal immigrants do pay their hospital bills.
Back it up.

Quote:
That's great that you found a FauxNews report and put in a few sensational headlines...but the truth of the matter is that the majority do pay taxes with ITINs, but they are a burden. To be honest, we don't know how much of a burden they are. So are poor citizens. However, you should help and cultivate the weakest in a society...not stigmatize. This is how we truly progress as a nation.
Poor American citizens and poor legal residents are not in the same category as illegal immigrants. Illegal aliens have no business being in the US. They are no more part of our society than a burglar is part of your family.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
No again I like to tell the truth. So is that to insult and inflame? Refuted? So please I inist that maybe you should leg work and learn better research techniques...you know some scholarly works. Then I may be inclined to say I stand corrected. But honestly, I don't do that with people that are simply wrong and bigoted.

I suspect that you may be the one who is simply wrong and bigoted. We both have presented sound evidence that illegal aliens do indeed receive cancer treatment.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
I suspect that you may be the one who is simply wrong and bigoted. We both have presented sound evidence that illegal aliens do indeed receive cancer treatment.
SOME illegal immigrants. Just like SOME legal citizens do. The majority don't. What do you want me to say? That "congrats, you proved that every illegal immigrant is taking over since you managed to find a MINORITY of people in a hyper-sensationalized story that feeds into your bigotry and fearful nature?"

Congrats in that case.

Seriously though, the way that you speak about these people is BIGOTED. As opposed to finding a rational solution in which we can accomodate the needs of most, you find an ethnocentrist excuse for why they shouldn't be here. You guys spout arguments that hold very little water (this one included). It's not good when a nation bases its policies on feelings. This is what you guys want. You guys seem angry and want to justify that anger.

Meanwhile we pay the highest amount per capita on healthcare and not is everyone is covered. It's astounding to me that the real criminals have used illegal immigration as a means to divert attention to the terrible greed that has plagued our healthcare system. Joe Wilson's "You lie" is a great example of how people, riled on emotion, will go after and arduously find every little article of how illegal immigrants have not paid. United Health shores up money to start "grassroots" organizations to feed into this, and stand to make greater amounts of money...Yet people go after the poorest of the poor, not United Health and the like.

So congrats, you found the cultprits of America's demise...illegal immigrants. Not greedy corporations that lead people into erronously thinking this way in order to make more money off of you and give you increasingly bad coverage. Congrats indeed.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:34 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,176,030 times
Quote:
And what is wrong with being bigoted against illegal aliens? They and their enablers need to be deported/punished.

End of story.

Old 10-02-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
SOME illegal immigrants. Just like SOME legal citizens do. The majority don't. What do you want me to say? That "congrats, you proved that every illegal immigrant is taking over since you managed to find a MINORITY of people in a hyper-sensationalized story that feeds into your bigotry and fearful nature?"
Do you recall writing this?

Quote:
Quote:
No they can't recieve free cancer treatment. As a brother of a cancer survivor, I know the costs all too well. One the pills that my sister had to buy cost over $100. They had insurance. The treatments were not cheap. So unless they have some special plan that my family had no idea about, then they pay just like the rest of us.
A number of them do manage to receive cancer care by gaming the system/ telling their story to a reporter or ethnic advocacy group to exert pressure on healthcare providers to treat them/using a stolen ID to get treatment. No doubt there are also other ways to get cancer treatment courtesy of the US taxpayer.

Quote:
Congrats in that case.

Seriously though, the way that you speak about these people is BIGOTED. As opposed to finding a rational solution in which we can accomodate the needs of most, you find an ethnocentrist excuse for why they shouldn't be here.You guys spout arguments that hold very little water (this one included).
Yes, they are not supposed to be here. The majority of illegals hail from Mexico and as we both know Mexico has a) a healthcare system that provides medical care for the poor with a sliding scale based on the ability to pay, b) hospitals that specialize exclusively in the care of cancer patients and general hospitals that have oncology units and c) 1000 oncologists who have the same certification that an American oncologist has. Your argument is the one that does not hold water. Mexico has a system to provide cancer care to poor Mexican citizens, just like the US has Medicaid to provide healthcare for our poor. There is no reason for an illegal alien who is a Mexican citizen to remain in the US for cancer treatment. His or her home country is capable of dealing with the illness. They need to go there for treatment.

Quote:
It's not good when a nation bases its policies on feelings. This is what you guys want. You guys seem angry and want to justify that anger.
Our national immigration policy is based on the law. Anger? You are the one who is getting all hysterical and making a big scene, not me.

Quote:
Meanwhile we pay the highest amount per capita on healthcare and not is everyone is covered. It's astounding to me that the real criminals have used illegal immigration as a means to divert attention to the terrible greed that has plagued our healthcare system. Joe Wilson's "You lie" is a great example of how people, riled on emotion, will go after and arduously find every little article of how illegal immigrants have not paid. United Health shores up money to start "grassroots" organizations to feed into this, and stand to make greater amounts of money...Yet people go after the poorest of the poor, not United Health and the like.
This has nothing at all to do with the issue at hand. There is a thread in the Politics forum where you can meet others who wish to discuss the greed of the US healthcare system. By the way.......if we are so greedy, how did that LA illegal Ana Puente end up with 3 liver transplants and over $2 million in healthcare paid for by the US taxpayer? Name me one other country that would do that.

Quote:
So congrats, you found the cultprits of America's demise...illegal immigrants. Not greedy corporations that lead people into erronously thinking this way in order to make more money off of you and give you increasingly bad coverage. Congrats indeed.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:36 PM

Do you recall writing this?

Your point? Aha... you "caught" me. Want a cookie? Okay most pay...sorry if you can't discern that...

A number of them do manage to receive cancer care by gaming the system/ telling their story to a reporter or ethnic advocacy group to exert pressure on healthcare providers to treat them/using a stolen ID to get treatment. No doubt there are also other ways to get cancer treatment courtesy of the US taxpayer.

Yes, they are not supposed to be here. The majority of illegals hail from Mexico and as we both know Mexico has a) a healthcare system that provides medical care for the poor with a sliding scale based on the ability to pay, b) hospitals that specialize exclusively in the care of cancer patients and general hospitals that have oncology units and c) 1000 oncologists who have the same certification that an American oncologist has. Your argument is the one that does not hold water. Mexico has a system to provide cancer care to poor Mexican citizens, just like the US has Medicaid to provide healthcare for our poor. There is no reason for an illegal alien who is a Mexican citizen to remain in the US for cancer treatment. His or her home country is capable of dealing with the illness. They need to go there for treatment.

They are currently here. A majority do actually pay taxes, as noted in previous posts. They aren't in Mexico. Why should we have to shuttle people and deny them treatment? Why would we have to pay more money to do this? Sorry little bit compassionate and realize that is kind of BS. Also considering the amount that is currently gouged, I feel that can take care of those that really do need life saving procedures in general. Staring at death, you shouldn't have to deal with an uncompassionate system. I understand how hypocritical this might sound (emotional appeal), but death is LESS trivial than many of the concerns that you and others have expressed.

Our national immigration policy is based on the law. Anger? You are the one who is getting all hysterical and making a big scene, not me.

No, not really making a scene. Again, just calling a horse a horse. The fact that last time you quoted in huge huff "I'm done" kind of reaffirms this. Sorry if I see that your basis is simply on a few selected cases in which have upset you...emotions run high, but shouldn't have such a huge impact on public policy.

This has nothing at all to do with the issue at hand. There is a thread in the Politics forum where you can meet others who wish to discuss the greed of the US healthcare system. By the way.......if we are so greedy, how did that LA illegal Ana Puente end up with 3 liver transplants and over $2 million in healthcare paid for by the US taxpayer? Name me one other country that would do that.

YEAH it does, we are talking about healthcare and illegal immigrants. The health insurance corporations have used illegal immigration as a smoke and mirror trick to push people into an emotional tizzy as to keep their interests alive. Meanwhile many people decline coverage due to the cost (both legal and illegal). But you know those health insurance companies, so warm and fuzzy. So caring as to shore up fake grass root organizations so people can post their anti-illegal immigrant sentiment as a justification to not have a public option. See, they are related.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:23 PM

105 posts, read 201,809 times
Illegals = work for less money, get welfare, medical to make up the different. Several families living all together buying a house to sell later and make fat profit to take to their country with them. Where we non-illegals can't work or own or other laws. We CATTLE PEOPLE LET ILLEGALS TAKE TAKE TAKE, BECAUSE WE ARE THAT STUPID that let it happen. Why, because we keep voting the same people in office. They have anchor babies to get more welfare money. They don't want to become legals, they can live like Kings and Queens in their own country. But they also want to take our states from us before they would become legals. These people are only fraud votes for the ******* to get into office. We pay for their stay in our jails, using our hospitals, jeez, do you know how much money we would have if our taxes wasn't needed for this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.