Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 11:17 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,572,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
What is the definition of immigrant? Define immigrant. The definition does not include legality.
Really?

From the USCIS glossary. . .

Quote:
Immigrant - A noncitizen who has been granted lawful permanent residence in the United States and is issued a Form I-551 (green card).

Illegal alien - A noncitizen who has not been lawfully admitted to the United States or who has violated the terms of his/her lawful admission.
Also note the new PC stance.

Quote:
Alien - Any person who is not a citizen or a national of the United States. Because the term is found objectionable by some people, it is not generally used in this report.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/8%20Glossary.pdf (broken link)

Old 10-07-2009, 11:24 AM

50,347 posts, read 47,099,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough.

I believe there are around 12 million illegals in the U.S. (Is this about right?) How can these 12 million people account for 90% of unpaid medical costs when there are 46 million people uninsured in the U.S.? Wouldn't the uncompensated care due to illegals be comensurate with the percent of those 46 million who are illegal aliens? Something like 12/46 or about 25%, instead of your 90%. This figure may even be less if some of the illegals have health insurance or paid for at least a portion of their medical care in cash.

I suspect that you, and many in this thread, simply hate illegal aliens so much that you are eager to blame all sorts of woes on them.
If you include the children of Illegals (also not supposed to be here) that number is much higher.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:33 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,151,032 times
Quote:
Maybe I didn't explain myself well enough.

I believe there are around 12 million illegals in the U.S. (Is this about right?) How can these 12 million people account for 90% of unpaid medical costs when there are 46 million people uninsured in the U.S.? Wouldn't the uncompensated care due to illegals be comensurate with the percent of those 46 million who are illegal aliens? Something like 12/46 or about 25%, instead of your 90%. This figure may even be less if some of the illegals have health insurance or paid for at least a portion of their medical care in cash.

I suspect that you, and many in this thread, simply hate illegal aliens so much that you are eager to blame all sorts of woes on them.
Wanting illegal aliens gone from the USA is not 'hating' them.

Yes: I am extremely prejudiced against illegal aliens because they are insolent criminals--------irrespective of actual race/ethnicity.

Old 10-07-2009, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Yes: I am extremely prejudiced against illegal aliens because they are insolent criminals--------irrespective of actual race/ethnicity.
Absolutely!

Old 10-07-2009, 02:34 PM

776 posts, read 1,276,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

But why do you want them gone? They mow our lawns, pick our fruit and build our houses. Sure, they use forged documents to get work. But in doing so they contribute to our social security system without any hope of getting their contributions back. For the most part they are hard workers who are mostly at the bottom of the wage scale. And why do you want them gone?

Old 10-07-2009, 02:52 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,910,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Really?

From the USCIS glossary. . .

Also note the new PC stance.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/8%20Glossary.pdf (broken link)
If you look at the traditional, dictionary definition there is NO mention of legality. Thus, the qualifier "illegal" to denote the TYPE of immigrant. Immigration is not specific to humans to as well. Immigration stems from "migration". So no, immigration...which stems from migration, is not super specific.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:43 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,326,956 times
Quote:
But why do you want them gone? They mow our lawns, pick our fruit and build our houses. Sure, they use forged documents to get work. But in doing so they contribute to our social security system without any hope of getting their contributions back. For the most part they are hard workers who are mostly at the bottom of the wage scale. And why do you want them gone?
Because they are here illegally for God's sake! We are a nation of laws! Uncontrolled illegal immigration contributes to a huge increase in our population growth and puts stress on our social infrastructures, natural resources, etc. The taxes they contribute do not cover their costs. They compete with Americans for jobs and drive down wages. It isn't fair that most of these illegals are from mostly one ethnic group either. Our immigration policies are supposed to be about diversity among other things.

It is only corrupt and greedy Americans who hire them to mow laws, pick fruit, etc. They don't have a right to work in this country. You advocate this greed by employers while they cut Americans out of a job? In view that their income taxes don't cover their social costs I wouldn't be complaining about any SS taxes they pay in and don't get back.

This isn't about whether or not they are hard working (and certainly they all aren't) this is about our laws and their non-right to work or be in this country and the employers who are breaking the law also.

Do you realize that many Americans suffer when their I.D.'s and SS numbers are stolen? Our government goes after them for income they don't report and pay taxes on because someone else used their SS number. It is a felony to use fake documents. Does that mean nothing to you? I can't believe I am repeating this yet again. What is wrong with you?

Last edited by chicagonut; 10-07-2009 at 04:31 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 04:06 PM

50,347 posts, read 47,099,157 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for anyone who bought a house "built" by Ilegals as it would probably not be up to code or have the proper permits. My neighbor across the street tried to go that route and ending up paying about double after having to rip out half the house that done was by some Illegal's shoddy work. I guess the owner didn't know what code was. He does now!!

Last edited by 1AngryTaxPayer; 10-07-2009 at 05:34 PM..

Old 10-07-2009, 05:30 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
They are the last people you want building your house!!!

Seriously!

Old 10-07-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
If you look at the traditional, dictionary definition there is NO mention of legality. Thus, the qualifier "illegal" to denote the TYPE of immigrant. Immigration is not specific to humans to as well. Immigration stems from "migration". So no, immigration...which stems from migration, is not super specific.
Oh please. We ARE discussing immigration, specifically illegal aliens. Thus, the USCIS definition is sufficient. Whether you choose to accept their definition is irrelevant. As a proponent of lawlessness, I wouldn’t expect you to embrace it. Try convincing ICE or an immigration judge that these interlopers aren’t “illegal.”

Thanks for the oh-so-enlightening migration tidbit. Who knew?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration