Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 12:43 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,487,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
This is also rather common on college towns, where 4-8 students live in a 1-2 bedroom apartment. A lot of the times a single room has 2-4 beds

What really happens is that people here have gotten too used to having large disposable incomes, with more than enough money to make ends meet. So they look at people who are having to make sacrifices in order to be able to find shelter ans say "How can they live like that? They don't have any respect for themselves" when the truth is that they are sacrificing by living with other people in order not to end up on the streets or in shelters.

Do you think these individuals would not like to live in large houses if they could. Where each kid gets his own room and you have spare rooms to turn them into a library/office.

This is like looking at someone eating at a McDonald, and getting the 99c item, and telling them "Do you not respect yourself, how can you eat that, why don't you eat across the street at the $50 a plate restaurant." People live like this because they have to, not because they want to.
There are valid reasons why we have housing codes and why this type of thing is not permitted. There are health and safety reasons why a home zoned for one family should not have 25 people living in it, irrespective of who they are. If they have to sleep 8 people to a bedroom, it should eventually begin to dawn on them that the streets here and not paved with gold as they had envisioned and maybe they should go back home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 12:49 PM

804 posts, read 1,362,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
There are valid reasons why we have housing codes and why this type of thing is not permitted. There are health and safety reasons why a home zoned for one family should not have 25 people living in it, irrespective of who they are. If they have to sleep 8 people to a bedroom, it should eventually begin to dawn on them that the streets here and not paved with gold as they had envisioned and maybe they should go back home.
So what would you have college students do if they can't afford the housing? drop out of school?

Old 06-09-2009, 03:12 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,197,444 times
Quote:
So what would you have college students do if they can't afford the housing? drop out of school?
Yup.

It is called supply and demand: either the cost of amenities (housing, etc) goes down or 'somebody' coughs up the additional $$$ to subsidize said college students.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:27 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,141,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
This is true, and is true of Mexican culture. Large families are stuffed into one tiny home. While the homes are thrashed I don't see how this can affect neighbors besides the noise of all those people and parties they have on the weekends. I'm speaking for Mexican illegals, not illegals in general since we all know that not all illegals are Mexican.
The biggest portion of illegals are Mexican. If you believe they make good neighbors, maybe you should move to South Central L.A.

As you stated, noise is one factor, but, heres a few things you left out.

Countless cars parked (running or not) in the yard. Same for the street at night.

Piles of gargage in the alley or back yard (With atrocious smell) accompanied by beer cans, old funiture and numerous rotting black garabage bags.

5 or 10 small children (unattended) darting out into the streets , while small groups of underage males sit on the porch drinking, and, insulting every female they see.

Your car stolen along with the lawnmower. Gang tags spray painted on every surface. Ect. Ect.

Oh, I forgot. Say anything and guess what ? You are a racist.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:46 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,683,575 times
thats funny, this is the same thing they used to say about black folk in the 80's and 90's. IN south central.

hmmmmm

mexicans do make good neighbors tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwebbster View Post
The biggest portion of illegals are Mexican. If you believe they make good neighbors, maybe you should move to South Central L.A.

As you stated, noise is one factor, but, heres a few things you left out.

Countless cars parked (running or not) in the yard. Same for the street at night.

Piles of gargage in the alley or back yard (With atrocious smell) accompanied by beer cans, old funiture and numerous rotting black garabage bags.

5 or 10 small children (unattended) darting out into the streets , while small groups of underage males sit on the porch drinking, and, insulting every female they see.

Your car stolen along with the lawnmower. Gang tags spray painted on every surface. Ect. Ect.

Oh, I forgot. Say anything and guess what ? You are a racist.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:00 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,141,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotdamn11 View Post
Sounds a lot like the lower class of Whites and Blacks as well. Ah well. If I pointed that out, I would just be unfairly calling you racist.
Aww yes, and I would be unfairly calling you a bigot.

You know a lot of black people with roosters in the back yard, right?

Bet you know a lot of white people that hang Mexican flags outside the front door and paint the house pink and green ,right??

Feel free to point out anything you want, son of the one.

Old 06-09-2009, 05:16 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,376,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotdamn11 View Post
Sounds a lot like the lower class of Whites and Blacks as well.
I think you hit on a good point. I don't think the issue is as much "3rd world" mentality, as it is "ghetto" mentality. Many of us on here complain, myself included, of how our once beautiful communities are now filled with illegals lowering the standard of living and making our communites look like crap. However, I would feel the same if "ghetto" blacks, trailer trash whites, etc. etc., were doing it. So you see, some cry "racist", being completely unaware that you're wrong. If I was on a forum complaining that white trailer trash were moving to my community by the thousands and I wanted them gone, would I still be called a racist? Likewise, if this happened and a Mexican was on here complaining about them, would they respond well to being called racist, and that it's not about the affect on his/her community, but that it's because they're just xenophobic and don't like white people?

Old 06-09-2009, 05:29 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,683,575 times
it comes down to being trashy and tacky. that comes in all colors. i owuld have a problem with a trashy neighbor. the fact that they were disrespectful would bother me, not whether they were mexican or not. its a gross generalization to think mexicans or blacks all live in the hood or in trashy areas.

in LA there are plenty of neighborhoods, predominantly black or brown, that are solidly middle class. that are clean. that are safe. that are family oriented.

but south central. well when the hispanics started moving in, it was already a dump. and all the foks who migrated to south central from the south, DID have roosters and such.

we are trying to rebound. its been tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I think you hit on a good point. I don't think the issue is as much "3rd world" mentality, as it is "ghetto" mentality. Many of us on here complain, myself included, of how our once beautiful communities are now filled with illegals lowering the standard of living and making our communites look like crap. However, I would feel the same if "ghetto" blacks, trailer trash whites, etc. etc., were doing it. So you see, some cry "racist", being completely unaware that you're wrong. If I was on a forum complaining that white trailer trash were moving to my community by the thousands and I wanted them gone, would I still be called a racist? Likewise, if this happened and a Mexican was on here complaining about them, would they respond well to being called racist, and that it's not about the affect on his/her community, but that it's because they're just xenophobic and don't like white people?

Old 06-09-2009, 05:38 PM

50,520 posts, read 47,300,045 times
Quote:
This is also rather common on college towns, where 4-8 students live in a 1-2 bedroom apartment. A lot of the times a single room has 2-4 beds

What really happens is that people here have gotten too used to having large disposable incomes, with more than enough money to make ends meet. So they look at people who are having to make sacrifices in order to be able to find shelter ans say "How can they live like that? They don't have any respect for themselves" when the truth is that they are sacrificing by living with other people in order not to end up on the streets or in shelters.

Do you think these individuals would not like to live in large houses if they could. Where each kid gets his own room and you have spare rooms to turn them into a library/office.

This is like looking at someone eating at a McDonald, and getting the 99c item, and telling them "Do you not respect yourself, how can you eat that, why don't you eat across the street at the $50 a plate restaurant." People live like this because they have to, not because they want to.
How do you know they were College students? You can't tell a College student by how they look can you?

Like "the one" said, X-ray glasses?

Old 06-09-2009, 05:43 PM

50,520 posts, read 47,300,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
it comes down to being trashy and tacky. that comes in all colors. i owuld have a problem with a trashy neighbor. the fact that they were disrespectful would bother me, not whether they were mexican or not. its a gross generalization to think mexicans or blacks all live in the hood or in trashy areas.

in LA there are plenty of neighborhoods, predominantly black or brown, that are solidly middle class. that are clean. that are safe. that are family oriented.

but south central. well when the hispanics started moving in, it was already a dump. and all the foks who migrated to south central from the south, DID have roosters and such.

we are trying to rebound. its been tough.
My house was a disaster when I moved in, now it's pretty spotless. Do poor Illegals not have access to mops, brooms or trash cans? You don't have to spend money to be sanitary. Even lemon juice makes a good cutting agent for cleaning. Lemons are cheap if not free here in S Cal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration