Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:09 AM

786 posts, read 4,732,014 times

Advertisements

In my town there are just tons of immigrants (both legal and illegal) and most of them live in very crowded homes. In many neighborhoods single family homes are being turned into illegal Apartments with many people living in sheds, basements and on the floor. In some cases over 30 people are living in a 1500 square foot single family home.

When people complain they are called racist and this shuts them up in most cases. If they complain to the government, not much is done because the inspector knows he will be called racist if he takes action. In a few cases when the government tries to solve the issue, the people in the house will all claim they are related- so nothing is done.

Is this a problem in your community, and what can be done?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2007, 04:08 PM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,255 times
Where do you live? I know I would report them to the city I live in and if that didn't do any good I'd report them to our civic club....We had one house here that had as many as 8 cars parked out front and I do know the police keap an eye on them and marked the tires to be sure that the cars did not sit there for over 24 hours at a time..

If it's a rent house go to the owner..

You need to check into your local laws....

Old 05-12-2007, 07:32 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,341 times
In CA I know there is little you can do.

MBG

Nearly 100 years ago President Theodore Roosevelt hit the nail on the head when it came to immigration.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith, becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person’s becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American… There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn’t an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag… We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language… and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.”—Theodore Roosevelt, 1907

Old 05-12-2007, 09:29 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,747,686 times
If there are junk cars, trash, chickens, anything like that, call Code Enforcement. Once they find out how many people are living there, it won't belong until they call in someone from zoning. They'll make the landlord comply with the city laws, which generally means that only one family per single family home is allowed. You just have to start at the bottom and raise a fuss all the way up to the top. I've done it, it works.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:25 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,379 times
When I was living in California I had three families living in the apartment above me. Three families with children living in a 650 square foot apartment. I lived there for only three months and broke my lease and moved. To a large degree I think apartment managers look for illegals. They put signs up in the windows in Spanish, frequently denying that the apartment is even available to anyone who isn't an illegal.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:32 AM

157 posts, read 309,872 times
Cool Logic

Iowa caught on to 2 showing up for a home and 30 sneaking in. Instead of $450. a month. It is $450. a head. They leave pretty quick but trash the place. How could ANY human live in succh FILTH? It is beyond me. And people hired to clean this filth just quit. One guy says he asks first if it is Mexicans. If the answer is yes, he just flatly refuses. The race card is played but it doesn't work.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:23 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
I live on the edge of a Latino enclave here in the Phx area; suffice to say that there has been a significant drop off of people living in the apartments--------about 25-30% fewer vehicles parked as well as since our Employer Sanctions Law was passed late 2007. Too many mattresses, etc. have wound up in the alley to be picked up by the garbagemen.

It is a safe bet that most of the above who fled were here illegally. If the folks in question were legal and simply wanted to move to more spacious/cheaper places appearing on the market courtesy of disappearing illegals-------methinks that the former would not be abandoning their furniture, etc.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:43 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,342,292 times
Fortunately, where I live, we don't have this YET.

I did hear, however, that in Boston now (I live up in Salem) they will only allow 4 undergrads to live together, BUT illegals have no problem!! Of course, they probably claim to be related, but with zoning, I know there's a law that says only so many people to so many square feet in an apartment. I doubt that it's enforced.

It's disgusting - what's with all the disrespect for property and obviously disrespect for themselves, if they live that way?

Old 03-14-2008, 01:15 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,134,523 times
This is true, and is true of Mexican culture. Large families are stuffed into one tiny home. While the homes are thrashed I don't see how this can affect neighbors besides the noise of all those people and parties they have on the weekends. I'm speaking for Mexican illegals, not illegals in general since we all know that not all illegals are Mexican.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:34 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
Here we go...another Mexican culture bashing thread, are Americans just jealous that we love being around our families? It is not-uncommon in many cultures to live with many family members (Italy, Spain, Portuguese, Greek).

I think White-American families are they only ones that kick their kids out when they are 18.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration