Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 07:17 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Exactly! Those who proclaim that we are a multi-cultural society in identity and singing its praises are really ethnocentrics that really want us to be bi-cultural Anglo/Hispanic society or dilute the Anglo society and for us to become a mono-cultural Hispanic society. They fool no one.
Never mind if the USA went 'Hispanic', it would probably force most Latinos into subservient roles due to the White supremacy of Hispanc culture.

Short sighted ethnocentric fools.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:18 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John C. H. View Post
I love when people say "assimilate now!"

And that always come from white folks who have been here for generations and have lost of all their culture. They all speak one lanuagage and eat meatloaf and Mash potatoes. They have no culture saved among the generations. So they want everyone else to be like them? Give me a break. Stop being jealous because other people have rich and diverse cultures ALONG with the American one. Stop hating on that Latino that can speak perfect english and perfect spanish. Stop hating on that Puerto Rican who loves Arroz con Pollo just as much as he does Hot dogs and Hamburgers. Stop hating on the Indian neighbors who wear their tradition clothing and while they own that Gas Station you always pump your gas at. Stop using that word assimilate. People do not have to give up their language, culture, and pride in who they are to be part of the American Society. When you say that you sound small minded and out of touch.
Who is hating on immigrants that are here legally? There is nothing wrong with immigrants practicing their ancestor's cultures at home just as long as they adopt our mainstream culture as their own first and foremost. That is what is meant by the melting pot and assimilation.

Your statement about white people having no culture or very little is just plain racist and hateful and totally untrue. What do you think this country is based on? It sure isn't Hispanic culture or Japanese! These kinds of remarks come from people who hate the white majority in this country and our basic culture and wish to change it to theirs instead. The pro-illegal ethnocentrics are the most guilty of this.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:21 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Your description of "our" ancestors makes a case for the opinion shared by many people that those Western Europeans were little more than racist, murderous barbarians. Is that the impression you wish to convey to the rest of us?
You mean like the Spaniards? The ancestor's of the Mestizo Mexicans? Pot, kettle, black.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
You mean like the Spaniards? The ancestor's of the Mestizo Mexicans? Pot, kettle, black.
Many (Mestizo) Hispanics find that fact too painful to face.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Who is hating on immigrants that are here legally? There is nothing wrong with immigrants practicing their ancestor's cultures at home just as long as they adopt our mainstream culture as their own first and foremost. That is what is meant by the melting pot and assimilation.

Your statement about white people having no culture or very little is just plain racist and hateful and totally untrue. What do you think this country is based on? It sure isn't Hispanic culture or Japanese! These kinds of remarks come from people who hate the white majority in this country and our basic culture and wish to change it to theirs instead. The pro-illegal ethnocentrics are the most guilty of this.
Bingo!

Us putative 'White' (and any other race) Americans do have a culture: the Rule of Law, English language, many Anglo-Saxon traditions, Bill of Rights, etc.

Frankly; aside from some foods, music, architectural styles, etc. there are few traits of (lower class) Hispanic culture that are compatible with ours. Things like machismo, lack of belief in education and so on. Middle Class Latinos are essentially analogs to us.

Old 11-08-2009, 12:37 PM

706 posts, read 940,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d-iron View Post
So you actually believe someone who was born in America speaks American English watches American T.V. reads American Magazines and has American friends can still be considered a foreigner

Jesus, now I'm totally confused.
did I say that ? I simply said that being born in America ( when talking of the children of illegals ) only makes them citizens by birth, due to the bastardization of the 14th amendment.
I said nothing about tv,magazines, or friends or considering them as foreigners....I said only that they are legal citizens ....not Americans.

If you consider the examples you listed as enough to be "American" then I can see why You get confused so easily.

jmo

Old 11-08-2009, 12:43 PM

411 posts, read 468,751 times
Quote:
Busted! If what you want is a multi-cultural society then why did you mention only Spanish? Read my post above as to what your true intent is.
Spanish is the most predominant ethnicity in the usa, and the fastest growing, obviously there are asian, eastern european, mediterranean, african cultures, etc that co-exist in the usa, the one thing we don't get from england is culture or cuisine(among the worst in the world), but we do get some positives, like organizational skills, etc,,,,,

Old 11-08-2009, 12:55 PM

313 posts, read 676,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
did I say that ? I simply said that being born in America ( when talking of the children of illegals ) only makes them citizens by birth, due to the bastardization of the 14th amendment.
I said nothing about tv,magazines, or friends or considering them as foreigners....I said only that they are legal citizens ....not Americans.

If you consider the examples you listed as enough to be "American" then I can see why You get confused so easily.

jmo
So what makes up a "true American" (your definition).

BTW I'm a proud American and it offends me you may be hinting that I am in fact not a true blue American.

Also the points I was trying to make (friends,t.v.,magazines) are all culturally American.

Last edited by d-iron; 11-08-2009 at 01:10 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 12:59 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
Spanish is the most predominant ethnicity in the usa, and the fastest growing, obviously there are asian, eastern european, mediterranean, african cultures, etc that co-exist in the usa, the one thing we don't get from england is culture or cuisine(among the worst in the world), but we do get some positives, like organizational skills, etc,,,,,
Very true....but it's a lot easier to live in a free society with the emphasis on civil liberties and rights, even with LOUSY cuisine....than it is to live in a Third-World dictatorship with delicious recipes and 'interesting' music.

If you want GOOD COOKING, you can learn the recipe..or hire a cook. If you want justice and freedom, though..that's a lot harder to import.

I'd rather live under the British legal system, (and its corresponding freedoms) than the Nigerian, or the Iraqi, or the Thai. GOOD FOOD?...I can get that anywhere, with a little effort....

Very good point. though..lots of truth in your post...nobody comes to America for the 'native recipes'..nor do they come here because we're 'colorful'. But they DO come here......right?

Old 11-08-2009, 01:07 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,141,957 times
They would turn over in their graves knowing that our country is being stolen from us by leaving our borders open to millions and millions of aliens to sneak in and do what ever they want and not become accountable citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration