Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:56 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
We need to fight both – illegal immigration and the drug cartels. Yes, we do need to militarize our borders, because nothing less will be effective. Otherwise, we will surely lose our country.
Not the same war. Also militarizing our borders is too costly while we are fighting two wars. We should have smarter options.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:04 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Not the same war. Also militarizing our borders is too costly while we are fighting two wars. We should have smarter options.
They may not specifically be the same. Nevertheless, our open borders facilitate both; and they are both a threat to our national security. We cannot afford NOT to militarize our borders, because this is now out of control.

How will it benefit this country to have our troops fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan if they have no country to return to?

Old 11-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Quote:
They may not specifically be the same. Nevertheless, our open borders facilitate both; and they are both a threat to our national security. We cannot afford NOT to militarize our borders, because this is now out of control.

How will it benefit this country to have our troops fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan if they have no country to return to?
Actually, demand facilitates both, it's a market situation. We need to address the market. First off, legalizing and regulating marijuana would significantly cut into profits of drug cartels. Secondly, having easier legal methods (less costly, less lengthy) would greatly address illegal immigration.

Militarization is simply too costly. How long would the troops be on the border?

I didn't say the country benefits having troops in Iraq or Afghanistan. Also, they do have country to come home to. Again, that's a little hyperbolic...just a smidge.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Actually, demand facilitates both, it's a market situation. We need to address the market. First off, legalizing and regulating marijuana would significantly cut into profits of drug cartels. Secondly, having easier legal methods (less costly, less lengthy) would greatly address illegal immigration.

Militarization is simply too costly. How long would the troops be on the border?

I didn't say the country benefits having troops in Iraq or Afghanistan. Also, they do have country to come home to. Again, that's a little hyperbolic...just a smidge.
If we militarize our borders, we will secure them from MOST illegal immigration and drug trafficking. Why would it be too costly? Don’t we have troops securing the borders of other countries? It makes no sense to protect others, while our own borders remain wide open for any miscreant or terrorist to enter at will.

No, I don’t believe it is hyperbole. If we allow massive illegal immigration, and the drug cartels to have unfettered access to this country, we will in fact lose. Our troops may have the land to return to, but it will certainly not be what they left. Nor will it be what they fought to protect.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:58 AM

If we militarize our borders, we will secure them from MOST illegal immigration and drug trafficking. Why would it be too costly? Don’t we have troops securing the borders of other countries? It makes no sense to protect others, while our own borders remain wide open for any miscreant or terrorist to enter at will.

No we wouldn't. There are other methods of entry. Should we have patrol ships circling our coasts? What about overstaying...do we simply cut off entry to our nation from ALL non-Americans? Also the border is LONG...do we do part of the border? All this does is push into hinterlands. Why would it be too costly? Well, for starters the immense size, the scope, the amount of troops, the fact we are still in two other wars, we are still in a weak economic state. All those "little" details.

No, I don’t believe it is hyperbole. If we allow massive illegal immigration, and the drug cartels to have unfettered access to this country, we will in fact lose. Our troops may have the land to return to, but it will certainly not be what they left. Nor will it be what they fought to protect.

I know you don't "believe" it's hyperbole...but it is. Nobody is allowing massive illegal immigration, plus it's a bonus if the demand is strong for drugs and drugs remain illegal (this creates a thriving black market of crime). Drug cartels are thriving due to the environment of restiction for marijuana. Personally, what a person ingests in their body is their perogative. If we can find a way to legalize and regulate drugs...just like how we did with alcohol...this ALONE would hurt drug cartels (since it would take away their client base).

As for illegal immigration, again, the demand of cheaper labor and the demand for jobs (from illegal immigrants) are the catalyst. So we should find means to address this. Militarizing the border won't stop illegal activities. In fact, it would create a more volatile situation on our borders. It would make things MUCH worse.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:00 PM

Quote:
No we wouldn't. There are other methods of entry. Should we have patrol ships circling our coasts? What about overstaying...do we simply cut off entry to our nation from ALL non-Americans? Also the border is LONG...do we do part of the border? All this does is push into hinterlands. Why would it be too costly? Well, for starters the immense size, the scope, the amount of troops, the fact we are still in two other wars, we are still in a weak economic state. All those "little" details.

I know you don't "believe" it's hyperbole...but it is. Nobody is allowing massive illegal immigration, plus it's a bonus if the demand is strong for drugs and drugs remain illegal (this creates a thriving black market of crime). Drug cartels are thriving due to the environment of restiction for marijuana. Personally, what a person ingests in their body is their perogative. If we can find a way to legalize and regulate drugs...just like how we did with alcohol...this ALONE would hurt drug cartels (since it would take away their client base).

As for illegal immigration, again, the demand of cheaper labor and the demand for jobs (from illegal immigrants) are the catalyst. So we should find means to address this. Militarizing the border won't stop illegal activities. In fact, it would create a more volatile situation on our borders. It would make things MUCH worse.
I believe our country is worth protecting. You obviously believe it is too costly. If we monitor foreigners in this country on visas, we will know who is here, the authorized duration of their stay, and if they are in compliance or in violation. If they fail to leave in accordance with the terms of their visa, we then arrest and immediately deport. It really isn’t that difficult. Unfortunately, visas are not being monitored. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have such a large percentage of illegal aliens who overstayed visas and remained in this country for years without detection. It is ineptitude at its finest.

I believe you are trying to justify why we MUST have illegal immigration. I disagree. I believe if our borders are secured, and our laws are stringently enforced, we will greatly curtail both illegal immigration and drug trafficking. If it is impossible for illegals to work ANYWHERE in this country, and they cannot receive government assistance, they will have no incentive to come, other than to give birth to a U.S. citizen. But that’s another topic for another day.

Yes, our government IS allowing illegal immigration to flourish. By refusing to secure our borders, by refusing to enforce our laws, and by rewarding those who are here illegally, our government is complicit, and our elected officials should be charged with dereliction of duty. If I establish rules for my son, but fail to punish him when he disobeys, and reward him for his disobedience, I would in fact encourage him to continue, and my rules are rendered useless.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
noble effort. But you're not going to win.....
You are too funny.

Old 11-07-2009, 01:59 PM

22 posts, read 18,638 times
Quote:
You are too funny.
It wasn't a joke. It's an indirect comment about the other poster. But smileys are kind of funny, I guess.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizerrabbit View Post
It wasn't a joke. It's an indirect comment about the other poster. But smileys are kind of funny, I guess.
I clearly understood macmeal’s post; and I know exactly why he said it. But thanks.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:20 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,528 times
Quote:

We have the most avanced military in the world [ or did have before clinton gave away weapon secrets ] . We could use planes to point out where they are coming in and cut them off at the pass.

Nothing is more exspensive than feeding, sheltering, medical , prison care and fighting the desease and drug wars they bring here .

The money we spend on their large families in child care alone could supply a well equiped army on the borders .

Sooner or later the Mexican cartels will bring in a terrorist with bio, chemicle or nuke weapon , they may have already .

Our hospitals are going bankrupt from no pay care, our jobs are going to immigrants from all over the world , Especially Mexicans and those from Pakastan and India .Whens the last time you saw a motel or 7-11 store owned by an America ? How bout a doctor , they too are becoming more and more foreign .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration