Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:44 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Voting materials in particular don't make sense to be printed in several langauges. Only citizens can vote and in order to become a citizen one has to know English. The only group I know of complaining about making English our official language are Hispanics.
You don't necessarily need to know English to be a citizen. Also, many other groups in SoCal are complain about having English as the official language. Frankly, I really don't care.

However, in order to have accurate data, we should provide forms in multiple languages.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 PM

706 posts, read 940,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
You don't necessarily need to know English to be a citizen. Also, many other groups in SoCal are complain about having English as the official language. Frankly, I really don't care.

However, in order to have accurate data, we should provide forms in multiple languages.
USCIS - General Naturalization Requirements

Language
Applicants for naturalization must be able to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language. Applicants exempt from this requirement are those who on the date of filing:
  • have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 15 years or more and are over 55 years of age;
  • have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 20 years or more and are over 50 years of age; or
  • have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicant’s ability to learn English.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
USCIS - General Naturalization Requirements

Language

Applicants for naturalization must be able to read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language. Applicants exempt from this requirement are those who on the date of filing:
  • have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 15 years or more and are over 55 years of age;
  • have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 20 years or more and are over 50 years of age; or
  • have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicant’s ability to learn English.
Again, you don't necessarily need to know English...

Old 11-08-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Again, you don't necessarily need to know English...
exempt because......

have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 15 years or more and are over 55 years of age; too lazy to learn english after 15 years?
have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 20 years or more and are over 50 years of age; 20 years and still cannot function in english ?
or
have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicant’s ability to learn
not sure about this one.....and the impairments are?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borderlord View Post
exempt because......

have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 15 years or more and are over 55 years of age; too lazy to learn english after 15 years?
have been residing in the United States subsequent to a lawful admission for permanent residence for periods totaling 20 years or more and are over 50 years of age; 20 years and still cannot function in english ?
or
have a medically determinable physical or mental impairment, where the impairment affects the applicant’s ability to learn
not sure about this one.....and the impairments are?
Yet these arguments are proposed by others. Also, after 15 years some people are not the best at English. At least 10 Africans I know struggle with English after living here for 20 years. Again, you do know the definition of exempt, right?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:40 PM

This shouldn't even be an argument...you posted the quotation...I pointed out that you MAY be exempt. That's it. Unless, again you don't know the meaning of the word.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:57 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
Divided we will fall . We built America together, mostly europeans and blacks , we will lose it together .
Looks like Native Americans get the shaft once again

Old 11-08-2009, 10:59 PM

I simply pointed out the requirements, by law.....not a quotation.

Should the requirements matter ?

Good night...time to prepare for an upcoming winter camping trip

be well

Old 11-09-2009, 01:07 AM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Looks like Native Americans get the shaft once again

I don't make the facts, I'm just the messenger .

Staying on reservations and building teepees and skining buffalo is not building a nation .

I wish indians would join the 20th century they are a geat people . My best friend who I talk to almost everyday for 50 years is half cherokee .

Old 11-09-2009, 01:17 AM

277 posts, read 368,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy&Me View Post
On November 14th , 09 ,next week we will begin the process of peaceful revolution or protest .

Time is running out for all those who love America . Illegals and other non assimulating immigrants unite to fight us , while we are divided by race hustlers and white supremist .

Divided we will fall . We built America together, mostly europeans and blacks , we will lose it together .
LOL. And who rebuilt homes when they were torn down by storms, tornados and hurricanes? We picked the fruits and vegetables your family eats everyday? Who open thousands of business' in this country? Who pumps One trillion dollars into this economy every year? Do you know there are millions of latinos in positions such as Doctors, Lawyers, Politicans, Policemen and women, Fire fighters, teachers, Union Members, Car Dealership Owners, Restaurant Owners, Day Care Providers and Owners, State Troopers, Professors, Accountants.....must I go on? Stop being a racist and learn how to get along with people...specifically Latinos who have done nothing to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration