Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 08:51 PM

411 posts, read 468,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Spanish; like French, is provincial whereas English is the lingua franca of the world.

Looking at different nations like China, Japan, Germany, etc; the second language (if used at all) on the signage, etc. is almost always English.

No question that thanks to the british empire, english has become the common currency of languages, in India for example people from different regions communicate in english, it is also true that the main language of the Americas is Spanish and it only makes sense that it should be the second language of the US, with over 50million people fluent in spanish, and a population increasingly bi-cultural....

Old 11-14-2009, 09:17 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post
No question that thanks to the british empire, english has become the common currency of languages, in India for example people from different regions communicate in english, it is also true that the main language of the Americas is Spanish and it only makes sense that it should be the second language of the US, with over 50million people fluent in spanish, and a population increasingly bi-cultural....
I think this is hypocritical to say the least. Most illegal alien sympathizers are Hispanics and they always object to making English our official language but we should make Spanish one of our official langauges?

Spanish is the main language of the Americas? The USA is an individual country and adopted English as its national language long ago. English is the most common language of Canada also. Keep your Spanish to the south where most Hispanics reside. Most north of Mexico are English speakers and aren't Hispanics.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:46 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,201,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
I think this is hypocritical to say the least. Most illegal alien sympathizers are Hispanics and they always object to making English our official language but we should make Spanish one of our official langauges?

Spanish is the main language of the Americas? The USA is an individual country and adopted English as its national language long ago. English is the most common language of Canada also. Keep your Spanish to the south where most Hispanics reside. Most north of Mexico are English speakers and aren't Hispanics.
Mexicans act like Spanish originated in Mexico.lol Like Catholicism, it was just another thing imposed on them.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:01 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latin King View Post

Well, with over 304 million people are fluent in English it only makes sense for the minority of Spanish speakers should learn the language of our constitution.

Keep your culture at home - this desire to divide the US into hispanic vs everyone else is racist and ultimately self defeating.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:06 PM

543 posts, read 999,965 times
I'm in a TAD at Great Lakes, IL. In these cities, everyone knows BOTH languages; english and spanish equally, whether they are Latin Americans or Anglo/Saxon Americans.

THAT IS HOW IT IS SUPPOSED TO BE!

No "I don't need ____, they have to talk ____." That's really ignorant from BOTH parties; just learn both, and if you don't know BOTH, you're screwed up.

BTW, illegals better get their papers, or get outta here!

Old 11-15-2009, 12:41 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,046,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
Mexicans act like Spanish originated in Mexico.lol Like Catholicism, it was just another thing imposed on them.
Really? I've never heard that before. I've always know Spanish originated in SPAIN...and your point?

Old 11-15-2009, 12:43 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,046,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
I'm in a TAD at Great Lakes, IL. In these cities, everyone knows BOTH languages; english and spanish equally, whether they are Latin Americans or Anglo/Saxon Americans.

No "I don't need ____, they have to talk ____." That's really ignorant from BOTH parties; just learn both, and if you don't know BOTH, you're screwed up.

I completely agree with you and also with camping. Immigrants should learn English. That is our national language. I also agree with you...we should learn both.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:30 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
Really? I've never heard that before. I've always know Spanish originated in SPAIN...and your point?
CamaoGuy's point being that the beaten, raped, etc. Aztecs/Yaquis/Mestizos, etc. embraced the culture that the (White) Hispanic conquistadors forced upon them.

Can someone say 'Stockholm Syndrome'?

Old 11-15-2009, 06:34 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post

Why Spanish? Again; it is not an important language outside of either Spain or Latin America.

Face it: combined; I strongly doubt that all of Spanish speaking Latin America equal the USA in economic power. Add in mostly English speaking Canada and there would be no contest.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:05 AM

549 posts, read 1,665,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
One of the problems we have with illegal immigrants in the U.S. is that many U.S. citizens cannot communicate with them, and therefore we misunderstand them. Too few U.S. citizens speak a second language. Other countries are FAR ahead of us in this area. Have you been to Europe lately? EVERYONE speaks two languages, sometimes three or more. Japan, Korea—heck, most of Asia—almost always speak a second language. Yet here in the good ole USA we generally speak only English—and often not well. I think we would better understand and appreciate the illegal aliens living among us if we could communicate with them.

To encourage more U.S. citizens to learn a second language we should have more than one official language. Like Canada with English/French. I suggest Spanish in addition to English for us here in America. Spanish is a logical choice since we already have so many Spanish speaking U.S. citizens. This would help to avoid falling behind the rest of the world in linguistic skills.

More importantly it would help assimilate the millions of Spanish speaking illegal immigrants now living in the U.S. I think they would be more likely to seek American citizenship if Spanish was the official second U.S. language.
Spanish is already our second language. (America is written in Spanish, many of our states and cities too, the language is widely spoken in many areas, etc)

English will always be our main language (we shouldn´t worry about that)
South Americans, Asians, and Europeans learn English as a second language in their homelands (the language of globalization)

I like the true Spanish (from Spain)...the one spoken by Spaniards.
The Mexican Spanish is too different... it´s the wrong/chopped version of the Spanish language (Orale Guey... Orale Ese (S))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration